Wedding Dress material...

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 tnt506

tnt506
  • 16 posts

Posted 14 May 2008 - 07:53 PM

hey ladies....
    I just started dress shopping today. While I was trying on different dresses I started to think about the material and whether the material will be too hot for Cancun in April.

Does anyone have any suggests for the better type of materials or what I should avoid?

#2 twixygrl

twixygrl
    • 293 posts

Posted 14 May 2008 - 11:23 PM

Quote:
      Originally Posted by tnt506
      hey ladies....
      I just started dress shopping today. While I was trying on different dresses I started to think about the material and whether the material will be too hot for Cancun in April.

Does anyone have any suggests for the better type of materials or what I should avoid?
      I read this in one of my detination bride books.

Try to find light weight airy silks that breathe like chiffon, organza, charmusse or crepe and avoid heavy fabrics like satin and brocade

Try to avoid any fabrics that wrinkle, pucker of have heavy beading since it is humid. Fabrics that do not wrinkle are lace, silk chiffon or charmusse but others like organza, linen and satin wrinkle very easily.

I hope this helps!!!!
      Twixygrl

#3 townie princess

townie princess
      • 298 posts

Posted 15 May 2008 - 01:09 AM

Consider the temperature of where you're going when you're trying on dresses.

I loved some of the a-line dresses I tried on, but didn't realize until I was in the dressing room about all that fabric that's hidden in those dresses! Holy crap, there is no way I could wear all those layers on a hot sunny beach.

Yet, if you love the dress....c'est la vie!

My theory was if I was hot in the store, there was no way I could wear it for my wedding on the beach. If you let the store know you're going on a DW, they may show you some DW-designed dresses.

#4 nikkianddean

nikkianddean
        • 1,881 posts

Posted 15 May 2008 - 01:12 AM

Quote:
          Originally Posted by twixygrl
          Fabrics that do not wrinkle are lace, silk chiffon or charmusse but others like organza, linen and satin wrinkle very easily.
          I agree and I chose lace for that reason...and I think it is super romantic :)
          http://i264.photobuc....h/IMG_1002.jpg

Mr. & Mrs. C
          February 14, 2009

#5 tnt506

tnt506
          • 16 posts

Posted 15 May 2008 - 07:03 PM

Thank you so much! I will make sure I write this down and take with me to the store.

#6 FYB87

FYB87
            • 976 posts

Posted 15 May 2008 - 08:04 PM

I am looking for a lace dress so this is good to here!

#7 Copita

Copita
              • 979 posts

Posted 16 May 2008 - 08:54 AM

I say avoid anything that weighs a ton because of the heat.
                But def just go with whatever it is that you fall in love with.
                I wanted something really light and airy and when I tried on my dress, it was nothing that I had in mind originally but was the only dress I wanted... :)

#8 blkladylaw

blkladylaw
                • 149 posts

Posted 19 May 2008 - 12:09 AM

I am very happy that the dress I ended up liking is a light silk chiffon. I was never looking for a big complex heavy gown anyway though...just a regular evening dress that could work for a wedding. I'll be in 100+ heat in Nevada!
                  Wed 9/5/08 at Lake Las Vegas Chapel Fiorenza with yacht cruise reception on the La Contessa and party the next night in VIP section at Club Poetry at Caesars Palace. Stayed at the Ritz at the Lake and checked into the Trump hotel on the strip after our reception.
                  Our first baby (a...

#9 NotYourAverageDW

NotYourAverageDW
                  • 361 posts

Posted 19 July 2008 - 07:19 PM

Quote:
                    Originally Posted by twixygrl
                    I read this in one of my detination bride books.

Try to find light weight airy silks that breathe like chiffon, organza, charmusse or crepe and avoid heavy fabrics like satin and brocade

Try to avoid any fabrics that wrinkle, pucker of have heavy beading since it is humid. Fabrics that do not wrinkle are lace, silk chiffon or charmusse but others like organza, linen and satin wrinkle very easily.

I hope this helps!!!!
                    Twixygrl...thats great info. Could you tell me what book that was in? I figure its time I started reading up etc.

#10 Hartyt509

Hartyt509
                    • 2,262 posts

Posted 20 July 2008 - 01:08 PM

Mine is satin but it's black so i'm gonna roast in it no matter what lol

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users