• Please log in to reply
31 replies to this topic

#1 ErinB

ErinB

VIP Member

• VIP Member
  • 9,504 posts

Posted 18 April 2008 - 07:53 AM

Just checking on our Chicago-area brides!

The earthquake woke me up! The bed was shaking and sliding around on the floor! That's an effort with as much weight on that bed!

We are about 125 miles away in Louisville, KY and could feel it! No major damage around here. One of the historic buildings downtown had a few bricks fall off the facade but that was it!

#2 starchild

starchild

• Moderators
    • 26,161 posts

Posted 18 April 2008 - 07:55 AM

No way! I hope everyone is alright. Silly me, I didn't realize you got earthquakes out there. What was the magnitude?

#3 thomastaci22

thomastaci22
      • 98 posts

Posted 18 April 2008 - 08:01 AM

It was only a 5.4, but for out here (Cincinnati)...that's huge! The news channels are going nuts! I had to get on the website to see the other news because they wouldn't stop talking about the earthquake!

I was up, but on my way to work at 5:35 when it hit. So I didn't feel it. No major damage here in the Cincinnati area.

#4 ErinB

ErinB

VIP Member

• VIP Member
        • 9,504 posts

Posted 18 April 2008 - 08:03 AM

It was little a 5.4. The epicenter was in a pretty rural area. There are some smaller towns, but it's mainly farm fields.

We get them but they are usually tiny like 2.0 or something. The last big one I remember was when I was in Middle school so about 15 years ago. That one actually knocked pictures off the wall.

It's funny, there is a major fault line that runs through Western Kentucky that hasn't had a major shift in almost 200 years (or something like that). So in school we were all waiting for "The BIG One" The theory being the longer it goes without moving the stronger it will be. I had a rather cooky science teacher so it was interesting. We had earthquake drills in his class about once a month!

#5 starchild

starchild

• Moderators
          • 26,161 posts

Posted 18 April 2008 - 08:14 AM

Wow that is a decent sized quake! We had earthquake drills in school too - get under your tiny desk and hope it saves you from falling concrete and glass...lol I was in CA so they had to have some plan I guess. We are waiting for the "big one" too.

#6 jmiranda

jmiranda
            • 697 posts

Posted 18 April 2008 - 08:30 AM

I woke up at 4:37 when I heard my picture frames fall. I didnt feel any shaking but that explains why the frames fell.

#7 beachbride08

beachbride08
              • VIP Member
              • 2,372 posts

Posted 18 April 2008 - 08:34 AM

I didn't even know we had an earthquake, until my alarm woke me up this morning and they were talking about it on the radio. How crazy!
                Michelle

#8 Lorilou

Lorilou
                • 533 posts

Quote:
                  Originally Posted by JamaicaBride062108
                  Just checking on our Chicago-area brides!

The earthquake woke me up! The bed was shaking and sliding around on the floor! That's an effort with as much weight on that bed!

We are about 125 miles away in Louisville, KY and could feel it! No major damage around here. One of the historic buildings downtown had a few bricks fall off the facade but that was it!
                  I'm a chicago gal and my FI and I woke up to our bed shaking at around 4:30 am. he said it was an earthquake and I didn't believe him -told him to go back to bed. But he was RIGHT!! it was nuts. not damage just interrrupted sleep. yikes!

#9 MsShelley

MsShelley

VIP Member

• VIP Member
                  • 10,366 posts

I didn't hear about this either, but hope everyone is ok!

#10 Maura

Maura

VIP Member

• VIP Member
                    • 5,752 posts
                    • Wedding Location:Westin Los Cabos

Posted 18 April 2008 - 08:44 AM

i didnt feel anything, and everything seems to be in its place on our walls and ledges. but i sleep like a log. i dont know if jose felt it though, he is still sleeping.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users