New to the site!

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 katemauibride

• 1 posts

Posted 17 March 2008 - 05:37 PM

Hi! I wanted to introduce myself as I have found this website and am interested in the advice and stories of other destination brides.
    My name is Kate and I am getting married in Maui, HI March 4, 2009. I live in Canada and am very much enjoying planning my wedding, although I would love to be on site planning (but really who wouldn't want to be in Maui!!).
    I am going to take a look around the site and see if I can figure things out.

At this point I am dealing with planning an after reception. I can't decide what i would like to do, and honestly i think i am good if i don't have one, but I understand family and friends feel it is necessary. How long do most destination brides wait until they have an at home reception. We are getting married in Maui in March because it is still winter where we live and would like to have our at home reception be casual and low key, so we were thinking an outdoor Hawaiian style bbq to gather family and friends who didn't join us in Maui. So of course we are considering waiting about 31/2 months until the weather is better. Is this appropriate? I don't want guests to think it is a gift grab because it surely isn't, do i mention that on the invite about not bringing gifts? Thoughts and suggestions??

• Moderators
    • 25,218 posts
    • Wedding Location:Santa Maria Bay Beach, Cabo San Lucas, BCS, Mexico
    • LocationSeattle

Posted 17 March 2008 - 05:51 PM

Oh Kate have I got an earful for you! I am in almost your exact same situation (sort of! just search my name and read my threads/posts)
    We are having a huge 200 guest(what i call) BFW (big fake wedding) at home in Seattle, then a small legal wedding in Hawaii a few days later (my SRW, small real wedding).
    In our case we wanted to have ALL of our family and friends "see" us get married at home, too many people and lots of small kids and older folks who wouldn't be able to travel as easy. So we decided to "fake" it and have a big ceremony and reception at home, and our legal DW (what we really wanted in the first place) in Hawaii, that way every one is happy!

Lots of girls have had AHR (at home receptions) even months later after the DW.

Any Q just ask, we're glad to have another HI bride! PM me if you want to chat!

#3 MsShelley

VIP Member

• VIP Member
    • 10,366 posts

Posted 17 March 2008 - 05:52 PM

welcome to the forum, Kate

#4 tlomlad

• Banned
      • 1,949 posts

Posted 17 March 2008 - 05:53 PM

congratulations on your engagement happy planning !

#5 Chiquita

• 2,674 posts

Posted 17 March 2008 - 06:08 PM

Welcome to the forum... I'm a canadian Maui bride too! :)

Lots of girls have had an at home reception (AHR) after waiting a bit once they got home.. search the forums and you will find plenty of advice on every topic imaginable!

Happy Planning!

#6 amandatheo

• 247 posts

Posted 17 March 2008 - 06:16 PM

and congrats!!

We're having our AHR the weekend we get back from Jamaica. That leaves us three days to sort everything out! Luckily for us though the venue is sorting most things.

I'm sure you'll find lots of advice on this site though, happy planning!!

#7 SDEMMI

• 61 posts

Posted 17 March 2008 - 06:26 PM

Welcome and Have fun planning!

#8 Spazz

• VIP Member
              • 10,482 posts

Posted 17 March 2008 - 07:01 PM

to the forum! You'll find tons of ideas and advice here.

#9 Autumn

• 1,166 posts

Posted 17 March 2008 - 07:27 PM

welcome to the forum, and congrats!! you'll find tons of great info here!

#10 BayBug

• 852 posts

Posted 17 March 2008 - 07:35 PM

Welcome tot he forum!!!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users