Jump to content

Question for fellow black brides Re: hair plans


Agape Gems
 Share

Recommended Posts

So, I'm getting married in Jamaica and I'm a lot concerned about my hair. I have what most black people call "good hair" but it's naturally curly which means naturally frizzy! So the humidity is definitely going to do a number on me.

 

Should I be worried or just relax and assume that they know what they are doing?

 

I can go the day before to get a trial done, but that appointment is only for 30 minutes, I never get my hair done in less than 2 1/2 hours. If you have curly hair you will understand that once my hair is dry it can't be combed or brushed b/c that just makes it bigger and bigger so they can't just play around with different styles! I will post a pic later to show you what i mean. My hair has to be roller set to do anything.

 

I'm going to do a relaxer on my edges before I go and take pictures of styles I like but I'm still stressing about looking like a fuzz ball on my day. Is anyone else concernedhuh.gif?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Replies 192
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I know exactly how you feel. My hair is considered the "good" texture hair too. But, when I was in Jamaica in January my hair frizzed within 10 minutes of being outside.

 

I would do a trial run for sure ahead of time. Now, since it's Jamaica they will most likely be familiar with black hair, but might not be totally familiar with silkier "good" ethnic hair. Hope that makes sense. I think I'm going to bring my own oil with me too, because it's fantastic and I'm sure it's better than what they have. When I was there in January the best oil I could find was Pink Oil.

 

I'm also going to get fusion extensions put in before the wedding and wear my hair half up half down. So hopefully most of my real hair will be protected from the humidity in the updo.

 

On another note, wow you're less than a month away! Are you getting excited?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Quote:
Originally Posted by FutureMrsB View Post
I know exactly how you feel. My hair is considered the "good" texture hair too. But, when I was in Jamaica in January my hair frizzed within 10 minutes of being outside.

I would do a trial run for sure ahead of time. Now, since it's Jamaica they will most likely be familiar with black hair, but might not be totally familiar with silkier "good" ethnic hair. Hope that makes sense. I think I'm going to bring my own oil with me too, because it's fantastic and I'm sure it's better than what they have. When I was there in January the best oil I could find was Pink Oil.

I'm also going to get fusion extensions put in before the wedding and wear my hair half up half down. So hopefully most of my real hair will be protected from the humidity in the updo.

On another note, wow you're less than a month away! Are you getting excited?
I was thinking of getting a quick weave so that I wouldn't have to worry about it at all, and could wear it down in big curls, but then I found out that I can't get in the water with that b/c its basically just glued in so had to move on to plan B- getting my hair done up and probably super crunchy so that it won't frizz

What type of hair oil to do use? I have been using this stuff by Paul Mitchell called Skinny. Its really light so it was good during the winter but won't work for Jamaican humidity.

Ummm, just realized this morning that I'm down to 3 weeks before we leave! A little scary when I think of all the things that still need to be handled. But I'm definitely ready for the vacation!!!!!!
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Yeah, I don't recommend quick weaves. I'd be afraid of all the glue pulling your real hair out. I'm sure an updo will look great! Do you have pictures of styles you like that you can post?

 

The oil that I use is from KeraCare. It has peanut oil, coconut oil and almond oil and is really light and smells great.

 

I love Paul Mitchell products. I've never tried skinny though, might need to check it out.

 

3 weeks, wow that is so exciting!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I'm glad that you asked this question because I am going thru the same thing right now.

For the last few weeks I've been fooling myself thinking that I can just go to JA with my own hair & I'll be fine. I've now come back to reality & know that won't work. I had my hair out last Sunday & by Tuesday it was a wrap. All those bouncy curls had fallen. So I know that if that happened here without humidity, I can just about imagine what's gonna happen in JA. I too plan on getting a relaxer the day before we leave. I'm usually a wash n set, & wrap girl but know thats not gonna work in JA.

 

I wanted to get a weave but I'm not sure. If I get it, I don't wanna use the glue so I'd have to get it sewn in. My beautician wants me to use wet n wavy hair so that I can get in the water with it. All my friends are like I better do something cuz they don't want me looking "crazy"!!! I'm like gee thanks. So here I am, not knowing what the heck to do. I have a few pics I like but really, I just don't want to be bothered with my hair at all. I was all for the trial run the day before the wedding, but its the days leading up to that that I'm worried about. Sighhhh....

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Quote:
Originally Posted by FutureMrsB View Post
Yeah, I don't recommend quick weaves. I'd be afraid of all the glue pulling your real hair out. I'm sure an updo will look great! Do you have pictures of styles you like that you can post?

The oil that I use is from KeraCare. It has peanut oil, coconut oil and almond oil and is really light and smells great.

I love Paul Mitchell products. I've never tried skinny though, might need to check it out.

3 weeks, wow that is so exciting!
My old hairdresser always used KeraCare, I love the way it smells! Skinny is pretty much the same type of oil. I think it may be a little cheaper though- $20 at CVS.

So, as promised, here is me after I comb my curly hair... what a mess!

Click the image to open in full size.

These are some styles I really like:
Click the image to open in full size.

Click the image to open in full size.

Click the image to open in full size.

And this is the make-up look that I'm going for, I rarely wear eyeliner but I think it looks extra dramatic:
Click the image to open in full size.
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Oh my gosh your hair is so LONG and pretty! You defiantly shouldn't put any weave glue on it.

 

I really don't think you will have any problems with your hair as long as it's up like that. Your hair looks really healthy so hopefully that should help reduce poof. The hairstyles are gorgeous by the way! I'm sure they will use hairspray too which should help keep it in place.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Its ridiculous how much hair I have, and I have no idea where I got it from and I never know what to do with it all. It takes me an hour to flat iron it all after I dry it. Hopefully lots of hairspray and lots of hairpins will make for a tight hold! I emailed the spa today to make my appointment for 7am. I hope that will be enough time, wedding is at 11am.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Quote:
Originally Posted by JUSTUSTWO View Post
I'm glad that you asked this question because I am going thru the same thing right now.
For the last few weeks I've been fooling myself thinking that I can just go to JA with my own hair & I'll be fine. I've now come back to reality & know that won't work. I had my hair out last Sunday & by Tuesday it was a wrap. All those bouncy curls had fallen. So I know that if that happened here without humidity, I can just about imagine what's gonna happen in JA. I too plan on getting a relaxer the day before we leave. I'm usually a wash n set, & wrap girl but know thats not gonna work in JA.

I wanted to get a weave but I'm not sure. If I get it, I don't wanna use the glue so I'd have to get it sewn in. My beautician wants me to use wet n wavy hair so that I can get in the water with it. All my friends are like I better do something cuz they don't want me looking "crazy"!!! I'm like gee thanks. So here I am, not knowing what the heck to do. I have a few pics I like but really, I just don't want to be bothered with my hair at all. I was all for the trial run the day before the wedding, but its the days leading up to that that I'm worried about. Sighhhh....
I feel ya! I'm thinking after the wedding I'm goin to get one of the locals to braid my hair so I won't have to deal with it for our honeymoon.

What's wet & wavy?
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Quote:
So, as promised, here is me after I comb my curly hair... what a mess!
I'm with Future Mrs B/ Future Mommy B on this one. Please don't get a weave! Your hair is beautiful and it looks like you have plenty there to get the up-dos that you posted (which are really pretty btw). I think if you are planning to get an up-do like that you will not have to worry about the humidity. Is your reception outdoors?
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share


×
×
  • Create New...