Anyone "Jumping the Broom"??

• Please log in to reply
88 replies to this topic

#51 BillysBride

• 1,255 posts

Posted 29 June 2009 - 06:58 PM

I had my broom custom made from a lady out of state. I can try to dig up the info; had it done last year on a whim and have had it wrapped in my closet since then.

Mom and I will decorate it ourselves from Hobby Lobby and Michael's. I'm likely going to go with ivory ribbon with gold edging, maybe some shells hot glued/scattered through the bristles. The ribbon will follow the wrap pattern around the handle. I think with this, less could be more so I'm not gonna try to get too complicated with it. I'll probably stand it up in the bag with my second gown/TTD dress to take on the flight. It's kinda heavy.

Click the image to open in full size.

I know there are some ebay stores/sellers that have them pre-made, as well as a few web sites. Google or yahoo search would probably find some for ya.

http://i17.photobuck....inecollage.jpgThe Fab Four (my quads) Meryn, Kellen, Nico & Layla
    http://global.thekno...rs/tt265ad.aspxhttp://www.mywedding...nnah/index.html20 STD's w. pre-lim RSVP sent 6/15/09: 7 "Yes" so far/10 guests total!

#52 Natural

• 218 posts

Posted 30 June 2009 - 10:09 AM

Thanks for all the responses...I found a few examples that I work with to make my broom.
      Life is too short to be serious...so laugh a little

#53 Perplexy

• 207 posts

Posted 06 August 2009 - 06:18 PM

Hey everyone!

I've been snooping on a lot of websites and seeing pictures of couples jumping over a broom after their beach ceremony in Jamaica. Does anyone know the significance of this?

To me, it just seems like an awesome, cute idea. But there has to be some deeper reason that couples do this, other than the fact that it seems cool. :)

I'm also guessing that there's some significance of mixing two different coloured sands together afterwards too?

I'm such a newbie at this wedding symbolism stuff!

~Stay positive and love your life!~

#54 *Karla*

• 4,854 posts

Posted 06 August 2009 - 06:57 PM

Jumping the broom is an African tradition symbolizing the bride and groom "sweeping" away their single life and "leaping" into a new life. The Wedding Broom Jumping Ceremony: History, Ideas and Modern Meanings

The sand cermony takes the place of the unity candle...two becoming one. The Unity Sand Ceremony

You can check the web for better explanations. Hope this helps

#55 Mrs K 2010!

Mrs K 2010!
          • 57 posts

Posted 06 August 2009 - 08:28 PM

I am so excited about the sand! What i've been thinking of doing is getting the color sand of our symbolism ( im thinking either purple or blue ) and mixing it with the beautiful sand we get married on. so like the day before Ill get some JA sand and sift it somehow.. haha but i think its a great idea.

Dont worry your not the only one whos new! but im sure within our 8.5-9.5 months of preparing we will be pros like the rest of the ladies here!!!

Click the image to open in full size.

#56 Vikki

• 807 posts

Posted 06 August 2009 - 10:11 PM

Cool. FI said no but I think it would be fun to do.

We're skipping the sand ceremony, I don't want to haul the materials down there and I think we might do something like that at our AHR anyway.

#57 Perplexy

• 207 posts

Posted 08 August 2009 - 05:23 PM

I'm not 100% sure I even want to do any extra ceremony at the wedding. I'm so simple, the ceremony they provide may just be fine with me! But I still have almost 9 months to think about it, so thinking I will do!

~Stay positive and love your life!~

#58 purrfected

• 396 posts

Posted 10 August 2009 - 01:09 AM

I read on this site that another bride is doing a shell ceremony and I stole her idea.I don't remember whose idea it was, but I am grateful.

Our programs read, "Each of our guests have been given a shell to hold, bless and protect Tammy and Frank. In your mind and in your heart, pray that their marriage be blessed. Let us cast our shells into the sea and as the ripples touch and and intertwine with one another, may ourlove also touch and intertwine to spead love and good wishes to all around us." May God bless us all! After the minister reads this he is to tell us all to cast our shells into the sea. The photographer has been asked to please get a great shot of this. My fingers are crossed.....

This was a llittle different than the traditional sand ceremony or the unity candle. Not to mention that I found shells prepackaged at the dollar tree store. (Gotta love them) I just bubble wrapped them and they are all packed in my suitcase!!

#59 Mello78

• 77 posts

Posted 10 August 2009 - 10:09 AM

They all seem like wonderful ideas!!!!!

#60 latoya1908

• 170 posts

Posted 27 November 2009 - 04:26 PM

Did any DW brides "jump the broom" at the end of their ceremony? This is typically an African-American tradition but hey....you never know...LOL! My fiance was interested in doing this, but I'm having a hard time figuring out how to get the broom there...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users