Monogram Question

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 LindsayG

• 95 posts

Posted 25 February 2008 - 07:03 PM

Ok girls, I need some advice.

I am planning on ordering some cute monograms, and I'm not sure what letter to use for my fiance! His name is William, but he goes by Bill or Billy. So do I use a 'W' or a 'B'??
    Lindsay & Billy
    July 11, 2008
    Paradisus Punta Cana

#2 Bride010101

• 1,547 posts

Posted 25 February 2008 - 07:04 PM

I'm not sure what the "right" answer is... but I think its a personal choice. For all my stuff I am doing a B for Becky (instead of the R for Rebecca) because that is what people know me by. Ours are more on the informal side so the B fits best for me.

#3 rodent

VIP Member

• VIP Member
      • 18,759 posts

Posted 25 February 2008 - 08:31 PM

my logo has our names so it says "Mike & morgan." I didn't want "michael & morgan" because almost everyone calls him mike. So I guess the same goes for initials. You can go with what people call him. I really think it's up to you. If it was really fancy I'd use W, but if it's more casual I'd use B.

#4 LisaW

• 113 posts

Posted 25 February 2008 - 08:34 PM

I'd say it totally depends on if you planning on having a formal or an informal wedding. If you are going for formal (or even semi-formal too), it's the "W" for sure. If you are going informal you have your choice between the "W" and "B" and in that case i'd say to go for whatever he prefers!

#5 Sandra E.

Sandra E.
          • 2,183 posts

Posted 26 February 2008 - 02:06 AM

Personal choice. What does he like?

#6 shelleyf

• 92 posts

Posted 26 February 2008 - 02:12 AM

Hmmm. Tough one. I agree w the others about formal vs informal. I would also keep it consistent, for example, if you go with the "B", then I would also use "Billy" for his name on the inside of the invite, and vice versa ("W" and William).

#7 jean-marcus

• 1,565 posts

Posted 26 February 2008 - 02:24 AM

if he goes by billy or bill then use B... otherwise people will get them and wonder if you dumped billy and am getitng married to some random guy... its like i tell people when i photograph them. they always ask if they should wear glasses or not. and i ask them if they ever NOT wear their glasses and if they say i always wear them... then i say wear them.

so in short.. go with B

#8 starchild

• Moderators
                • 26,161 posts

Posted 26 February 2008 - 02:34 AM

DH goes by his middle name to most people who know him, but at work and officially he is William so we had this same issue. Since he chose to use William on our invititations we used the initial "W" on our OOT bag monogram, and Will on our other monogram to keep it all uniform.

Along the lines of what Jean-Marcus said, after I sent out the invitations an old friend called me and said "Congratulations but who the hell is William and how long have you been seeing him?" Haha...she only knows DH by his middle name too

#9 Sarah

VIP Member

• VIP Member
                  • 6,996 posts

Posted 26 February 2008 - 04:41 AM

As others have said, it is a personal choice, but the "proper" thing to do would be to use his real name.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users