A New Yorker's review of Boston...
Posted 19 February 2008 - 03:08 PM
Posted 19 February 2008 - 03:17 PM
|If I started drinking at 9am, I would end up in some Boston gutter. My liver would go on strike for sure. I think it would be fun to try though!|
(actually my siggy pic is from that parade last year. I think it was about noon and we'd already polished off at LEAST 4 pitchers of beer w/ our friends! lol!)
Posted 19 February 2008 - 03:22 PM
Posted 19 February 2008 - 03:24 PM
| Originally Posted by LC_Rachel |
And you still look good after 4 pitchers? I'm impressed. If that was a pic of me after 4 pitchers, my hair would be so disheveled and my eyes would begin to droop. When I start drinking, in all my drunk pics I look like I'm seizing.
Posted 19 February 2008 - 04:02 PM
| Originally Posted by Nrvsbride |
Unfortunately FI and his best friend decided it would be a brilliant idea to chant in the middle of the street "NY Giants are awesome". Yeah that almost got us killed. LOL.
Posted 19 February 2008 - 04:13 PM
|I may have to hit up Dallas next! LOL|
|And you still look good after 4 pitchers? I'm impressed. If that was a pic of me after 4 pitchers, my hair would be so disheveled and my eyes would begin to droop. When I start drinking, in all my drunk pics I look like I'm seizing.|
Posted 19 February 2008 - 09:34 PM
| Originally Posted by Nrvsbride |
So this weekend I went to Boston to visit my FI's best friend and wife. It was completely last minute but it was nice to get away for the weekend. So I figured I would write a little review of my limited experience from a New York gal's perspective. Keep in mind that I have never been to Boston and my stay was very short.
You know how everytime you go visit a city or a country you have that one thing you want to see? Well my big thing about Boston was that I wanted to hear a Boston accent in person. I have never met anyone with a Boston accent so I wanted to hear one really badly. I wanted to see if people really had accents like they do in the movies. (Yes I realize that this is super ignorant of me, but at least I'm being honest)
Unfortunately I could not find one person with an accent! My friends told me that the Boston accent I see in movies is greatly exaggerated just the way the NY "brooklyn mobster" accent is always exaggerated. I was truly very sad about that. LOl.
Some things I observed:
1. The bars close at 1AM. Last call is at 12:30. Ummm yeah this is not acceptable. Most NYers don't even get to the bar till 12AM. I guess you just learn to deal with it.
2. All the bathrooms in the bars had these weird trash cans. They looked like these high tech trash cans from the future or something. Actually they looked like those trash cans they have in medical offices to dispose of hazardous material. I couldn't for the life of me figure out how to open it to throw trash in it. It even had this manual of instructions!
3. I noticed in this one bar they had a sign in the girl's bathroom that said something to the effect of "If you feel threatened or in imminent danger, please contact bar personnel". Ummm yeah scary. Then some girl told me there was a rapist running lose. Awesome! I think if NY had these signs they would say "If you feel threatened or in imminent danger, KICK THAT MUTHA F@CKER IN THE BALLS!"
4. Boston people really love the Red Soxs. We couldn't go a block w/o seeing someone wearing some kind of Red Soxs gear. It was offensive to my eyes obviously and there were times where hearing the Red Sox name made me want to regurgitate my insides. LOL. Also, the front page of their Sunday newspaper with the main story was about the Red Sox's beginning their training. They love their Redsox.
5. Friday night we went to some bar called Hennessey's (sp?) It was really fun, they had some 80's cover band and I found Boston people to be super nice. It seems like everyone is Boston is just enjoying life and having a good time, which was a refreshing change from the moodiness that is NY. LOL. Unfortunately FI and his best friend decided it would be a brilliant idea to chant in the middle of the street "NY Giants are awesome". Yeah that almost got us killed. LOL.
6. We went to the ever famous Mike's Pastry's which was packed! This place had a line out the door. It was insanity, but there were so many pastry's to choose from. YUMMY!
7. Boston is a really cute city! It kind of reminds me of Europe. There were little cobblestone areas on the street and all these shops in the Italian area. It was super cute.
8. I went to this one place on Sunday (I can't remember the name Ned something or other) that was a bar and restaurant. I had beer battered chicken tenders. They were the most amazing things ever! Boston has a lot of good food, except that they can't make a pizza to save their lives. Sorry to my Boston peeps, but come visit me in NY and I'll show you what a good pizza is all about!
9. Their train system shuts down at a certain time. It reminded of Washington D.C. and Paris b/c these are both cities in which the trains shut down at a certain time. Very different from NY, since trains run 24/7.
10. I learned from our friends that Boston doesn't have diners! Well not that they don't have diners but that there is really nowhere to go eat after drinking at a bar all night except for McDonald's or something like that. NY thrives on 24 hour diners where you get cheese fries, a.k.a Irish Nachos, a.k.a. Disco fries. Boston people must be really skinny b/c us fat boys over here in NY like to eat 24/7.
11. I found girls to be really friendly and nice. You know how you go out to a bar or a club and girls are usually eyeing each other, giving themselves dirty looks? Well Boston girls weren't like this. They were sincerely nice people. And girls don't get decked out to go to the bars. People wear casual clothes, which I absolutely loved! In NY its like a fashion show and people wear the craziest outfits.
12. The female bartenders were very covered up. What I mean by that is that they wear regular shirts and pants. The female bartenders in NY dress like skanks. They always have skimpy outfits. Sex sells what can I tell you? LOL.
I think that's it. All in all, I would say that Boston is a very fun city and you should def visit it if you get a chance. Just make sure to leave your Yankee hat at home!
I don't know why the city bars close at 1, I think it's a town to town thing, but I know some bars around where I am close at 2, but certain towns are different. Dumb, I know!
As for the accent, your friends were right it is exaggerated in the movies, but sometimes you will run into someone with a thick accent.
Diners - depends where you, some areas have them, some don't, but we definetly love to eat after a night out at the bar!
| Originally Posted by Nrvsbride |
I heard St. Patty's day is CRAZY down there! Must be so much fun! Also, at one bar that we were eating at, there was some kind of bar crawl going on. People had whistles and everything. I think our friends said that they do it every weekend. It was literally 1 PM and people were drinking like fish. My kind of people. LOL.
Great review Glenda, it was fun reading an out of staters perspective.
Posted 19 February 2008 - 09:54 PM
As for the pizza, I know you NY people are serious about your pizza, never been to NY but I'd love to try some. In L.A. there is a pizza place where tap water - yes tap water - is brought in from NY to make the dough...the owner is from NY and swears that the reason pizza sucks everywhere else is because it isn't made with NY water....interesting, right?
As an Oakland A's fan I must say to hell with both the Yankee's and the Sox...now I'm out before you guys posse up and put a hurting on me )
0 user(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users