Help picking a photographer!

h&a

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnR View Post
i agree. i don't think i could work with an arrogant photographer! the ones that do the best on here are those that just let their work speak for themselves.

of course, i love Leigh's work too, and she's SO sweet! California | New York | Worldwide
I also checked out Leigh's work after reading past posts from this forum. I agree that her work is great and she's on my list to contact if some others don't work... I guess my preference, though, is for somebody local but I might have to change my strategy :)

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I second the vote for leigh. Or am I fourth? I love her work. I check her blog reguarly just because it's so fun to see her pictures. But, I do also understand wanting to hire someone local. There are amazing local photographers. But, if none are available for your date, then it makes sense to look into flying someone in.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allaballa View Post
We used Claudia Rodriquez's team. VERY happy with the pics. The quality is great and they are very unique, photo journalistic and romantic. DH is just putting them up on our site and then I'll share with everyone.

Check out her site claudiaphoto.com
Who from her team shot your pictures? Erik Rodriguez is doing mine. I have been really impressed by all the pictures so far from her team & the prices are great. She has also been a pleasure to work with so far.

It is hard picking a photographer, especially with all the vast array of talents and styles. What I did was sit down one evening and took a look at all their work one at a time. For me it was a bit easier when you actually go through each one in one night because then you begin to see little things that you may not like or love when compared to the other photographer.

I would seriously consider the fact that some photogs have worked where you want to get married at because they are then familiar with the resort, etc. and know exactly where to go to capture great photos... I think it takes up time when a photog isn't quite familiar or prepared and time is important on your wedding day.

Go with your gut.

Just my 2 cents.

Good Luck!!!

Monika : )

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adamsgrrl View Post
I would seriously consider the fact that some photogs have worked where you want to get married at because they are then familiar with the resort, etc. and know exactly where to go to capture great photos... I think it takes up time when a photog isn't quite familiar or prepared and time is important on your wedding day.
Ya know - that's exactly what I thought, and I mentioned this to a photographer I was considering - that I really wanted someone that had been there. She then explained that it could work the opposite way ... that a photographer would be even more inspired by a new location. Photogs that shoot the same place over and over may get bored (perhaps the wrong word here), and just do their routine and shoot the same pics. Whereas if a photog had never been to that location, they're more likely to be inspired and look for new shots to take.

Just worth the thought!

Laura I missed your wedding pics, where did u post them? they look gorgeous

Quote:
Originally Posted by David and Laura View Post
I loved my photographer. I was married in Tulum so he knows the area well. He work is awesome and he is reasonably priced.

Here's his website: Jean-Marcus Strole - Photography

You can check his availability here: Yahoo! Calendar - cpdcrsdr

Here are some samples from my wedding:

Click the image to open in full size.

He also did the picture in my signature.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnR View Post
Ya know - that's exactly what I thought, and I mentioned this to a photographer I was considering - that I really wanted someone that had been there. She then explained that it could work the opposite way ... that a photographer would be even more inspired by a new location. Photogs that shoot the same place over and over may get bored (perhaps the wrong word here), and just do their routine and shoot the same pics. Whereas if a photog had never been to that location, they're more likely to be inspired and look for new shots to take.

Just worth the thought!
You make a great point. I know that I adore shooting in new places - I love the fresh perspective that it brings. It might be intimidating to some photographers, but I love it and I think a lot of photographers thrive in a new situation as well.

I know there are places in Charleston (where I just moved from) where I would cringe when I went to shoot there b/c I had been there soooo many times. It is harder to go into a shoot with a fresh perspective when you have shot there a gazillion times.