Photo

Just got back from my first dress fitting...

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 melglnh2o

melglnh2o
  • 1,016 posts

Posted 10 January 2008 - 06:57 PM

...and the alterations were $220. I had the top taken in and a bustle done. Does that seem reasonable for those types of alterations? I was completely clueless about the bustle and I felt a little pressured to make a decision but hopefully it will all turn out alright. Now the veil was another story. It is going to cost $320. That seems ridiculous so do you lovely ladies (and gents) have any good recommendations for a place to buy a veil? Or is this the going rate for veils?

#2 foxytv

foxytv
    • VIP Member
    • 7,740 posts

Posted 10 January 2008 - 07:13 PM

I think that might be about right depending on how much has to be taken in.

Those are the two things I need done also and when I got a quote a few months ago it was about $100 for a very minor bust take in and the bustle.

I got my veil from discount wedding favors, wedding accessories, personalized favors, communion veils. Just waiting on it to arrive. It's a $420 veil that I got for $121.88.

#3 melglnh2o

melglnh2o
      • 1,016 posts

Posted 10 January 2008 - 07:29 PM

Quote:
        Originally Posted by foxytv
        I think that might be about right depending on how much has to be taken in.

Those are the two things I need done also and when I got a quote a few months ago it was about $100 for a very minor bust take in and the bustle.

I got my veil from discount wedding favors, wedding accessories, personalized favors, communion veils. Just waiting on it to arrive. It's a $420 veil that I got for $121.88.
        Thanks. I found 2 on there that may work and the price is definitely much better than $320. When your veil arrives, please let me know your thoughts on the quality, color, etc. Many thanks!!!

#4 JUSTUSTWO

JUSTUSTWO

VIP Member

• VIP Member
        • 12,193 posts

Posted 10 January 2008 - 07:35 PM

I think $220 is good considering my bridal salon is charging me $350. My first fitting is Feb 7th so I'll see how much I need done. I haven't even begun to look for veils, I've been proscratinating!!!

How many fittings will you wind up having in total?

#5 melglnh2o

melglnh2o
          • 1,016 posts

Posted 10 January 2008 - 07:43 PM

Quote:
            Originally Posted by JUSTUSTWO
            I think $220 is good considering my bridal salon is charging me $350. My first fitting is Feb 7th so I'll see how much I need done. I haven't even begun to look for veils, I've been proscratinating!!!

How many fittings will you wind up having in total?
            I am hoping just one more which is scheduled for March 6. I thought I got a great deal on my dress and the veil and alterations are going to end up costing just as much if not more than my dress!

#6 LCBride2007

LCBride2007

VIP Member

• VIP Member
            • 24,768 posts

Posted 10 January 2008 - 07:48 PM

this is the site where i custom ordered my veil from - and i know a lot of other girls on here did/are as well. i fell in love with a $600 veil - ummm, no thanks! so i described it to them (this site) and they did a fabulous job of recreating it, for like $60!!

http://occanseydesigns.com/page11.html

#7 melglnh2o

melglnh2o
              • 1,016 posts

Posted 10 January 2008 - 07:53 PM

Quote:
                Originally Posted by AnnR
                this is the site where i custom ordered my veil from - and i know a lot of other girls on here did/are as well. i fell in love with a $600 veil - ummm, no thanks! so i described it to them (this site) and they did a fabulous job of recreating it, for like $60!!

http://occanseydesigns.com/page11.html
                Another fantastic site. Thanks so very much. I feel so much better now because I really loved that veil but I just didn't want to spend that much money.

#8 Can'tHardlyWait

Can'tHardlyWait
                • 812 posts

Posted 10 January 2008 - 07:53 PM

I remember when I was dress shopping, I tried on a veil that was 2300! I think the price can really vary depending on where you go and how much detail you are looking for. The place I bought my dress doesnt do alterations, but they recomended someone els eto me who said she could do all my alterations and matching veil for around 500, which seemed like a good deal to me

#9 foxytv

foxytv
                  • VIP Member
                  • 7,740 posts

Posted 10 January 2008 - 07:57 PM

Wow, some of you ladies seem to be starting your fitting awfully early. I checked with the salon a few weeks ago and she said based on our wedding date (April 19) that my first fitting should be the first week in February.

Am I waiting too long for fitting #1

#10 *JillD*

*JillD*
                    • 5,112 posts

Posted 10 January 2008 - 08:02 PM

I bought several veils off of ebay. I thought all of them were decent quality. I paid around $25-$30 for each of them.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users