Photo

Healthy appetizer receipe?

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 FutureMrs.L

FutureMrs.L
  • 127 posts

Posted 10 January 2008 - 05:08 PM

Does anybody have any good receips for a good appetizer or desert that is healthy or lower in points? We are having people over for the football game on Saturday GO PATS!!!! and I was hoping to make something that is healthy and low in points that I could enjoy. Any suggestions? ~Terri

#2 *JillD*

*JillD*
    • 5,112 posts

Posted 10 January 2008 - 05:23 PM

I was just thinking about this on the way home!! I have no ideas yet, but I'm glad you started the thread!!

One really low point one would be veggies and dip! I know its really basic, but at least all you'd have to count is the dip.

#3 MelissaH

MelissaH
      • 1,724 posts

Posted 10 January 2008 - 05:33 PM

When I was on WW I used this site a lot for recipe ideas - they have a whole appetizers section;

When you

#4 LCBride2007

LCBride2007

VIP Member

• VIP Member
        • 24,768 posts

Posted 10 January 2008 - 05:36 PM

i don't know anything about calories or points, but this seems pretty healthy to me. it's damn good, regardless!

Shrimp and Sweet Onion with Chiles and Avocado
          6 Tbl fresh lemon juice (about 2 lemons)
          3 Tbl vegetable oil
          ½ Tbl finely chopped jalapeno pepper (or more for spicy)
          2 lbs large raw shrimp – cut in half or thirds
          ½ tsp ground cumin
          1 lemon, sliced
          ¼ tsp salt
          2 or 3 large ripe avocados
          1 large sweet onion, diced (Vidalia, Oso..)
          4 Tbl chopped fresh cilantro
          Tortilla chips

Dressing;
          Whisk together lemon juice, jalapeno, cumin & salt, whisk in oil

Bring water and sliced lemon to boil, add shrimp, once water boils again, remove from heat. Let shrimp stand 3 minutes, drain and then cool quickly with cold water (do not let shrimp soak in cold water – they will get soggy). Cut shrimp into thirds.

Cut avocado in ¼â€ dice, fold gently into shrimp with dressing, onion, and cilantro.

#5 *JillD*

*JillD*
          • 5,112 posts

Posted 10 January 2008 - 06:05 PM

Quote:
            Originally Posted by MelissaH
            When I was on WW I used this site a lot for recipe ideas - they have a whole appetizers section;

i don't know anything about calories or points, but this seems pretty healthy to me. it's damn good, regardless!

3 Tbl vegetable oil
            ½ tsp ground cumin
            1 lemon, sliced
            ¼ tsp salt
            Tortilla chips

Dressing;

Bring water and sliced lemon to boil, add shrimp, once water boils again, remove from heat. Let shrimp stand 3 minutes, drain and then cool quickly with cold water (do not let shrimp soak in cold water – they will get soggy). Cut shrimp into thirds.

Cut avocado in ¼â€ dice, fold gently into shrimp with dressing, onion, and cilantro.

YUM!

Note to self, don't look at recipes when you're STARVING!!

#6 LCBride2007

LCBride2007

VIP Member

• VIP Member
            • 24,768 posts

Posted 10 January 2008 - 06:16 PM

Quote:
              Originally Posted by AnnR

I have yet to find anyone that doesn't like this recipe - Paul's sister gave it to me. It's easy to make, just a lot of chopping. And you can tweak it to your liking (less oil, more cumin, I add tomatoes, etc.) so you can probably make it pretty healthy!

#7 Amy&Andy

Amy&Andy
              • VIP Member
              • 3,405 posts

Posted 10 January 2008 - 09:11 PM

We just hosted a huge cocktail party at our house and I made sure to serve lots of healthy apps for my girlfriends who all seem to be dieting for something......I made:

*Crockpot orange cranberry meatballs (I bought the lean turkey ones)
                *Lettuce wraps with a premade (Safeway Eating right brand) teriyaki and veggie filling with peanut sauce drizzled on top
                *Marinated chicken skewers with peanut dipping sauce (I have homemade recipe for this that is very good and low sugar)
                *Tortellini skewers with spinach filled tortellini and sun dried tomatos skewered on a toothpick

For dessert we had chocolate fondue (can use dark chocolate or semi-sweet to make healthier) with various dippers (could make it healthier by using strawberries, bananas, and whole wheat pretzels went over well at our party)

It was fun, people were impressed, and I woke up the next morning not feeling like a stuffed sausage. Did have a killer hangover though.

#8 neen

neen
                • 633 posts

Posted 11 January 2008 - 11:13 PM

I like to make greek yogurt dip...

3 Cups Low Fat/Fat Free Plain Yogurt
                  1 english cucumber (the long skinny ones)
                  1 glove garlic
                  1 bunch fresh dill
                  salt to taste

Pour the yogurt into a cheesecloth and strain over a bowl for 2 hours to remove excess liquid (be sure to keep it in the fridge...my sister forgot this part, but she burns water).
                  Peel, seed, and dice cucumber
                  Chop dill
                  Mince glove of garlic, add a pinch of salt, then mash with side of knife on cutting board until garlic paste

Combine all ingredients in a bowl and refridgerate for 30 minutes to combine flavors. While dip is chilling, spray 6 small whole wheat pitas with spray butter or oil olive flavored pam and sprinkle with salt. Pop pitas in the oven for 10 minutes at 350. Remove and slice into triangle wedges and serve alongside the Greek dip.

A half cup of dip and 6 pita triangles is roughly 4pts!

#9 lmdavis

lmdavis
                  • 151 posts

Posted 22 February 2012 - 11:31 AM

Yum!!!

Originally Posted by AnnR 

3 Tbl vegetable oil
                    ½ tsp ground cumin
                    1 lemon, sliced
                    ¼ tsp salt
                    Tortilla chips

Dressing;

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users