Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Jessica

The Dog Whisperer

Recommended Posts

I could have sworn we had some sort of thread on this before, but I'm not finding anything when I try to search for it (of course I coud just be doing something wrong, which is likely!).

 

Anyway, I've never watched the Dog Whisperer or really looked into it, but my dad was telling me I should.

 

I think he (it's a he right?) has some books and DVD's or audio tapes or something. Has anyone bought any of these? Have they helped? I doubt I'll ever get around to watching the tv show so I'm thinking just buying a book or DVD would be a better route for me.

 

Hoenstly, I'm more a fact-based scientific/skeptic person, so taking an interest in something like the Dog Whisperer is totally foreign to me and so out of my element. But I'm sort of reaching a breaking point with my dog. I love her but lately she's just been driving me insane. I mean, I can pretty much figure out what the problem is. The baby is really consuming our time and attention, and although she hasn't "acted" up and is sooo good with Aiden, she's been a little hostile towards Brian and I. Well more me than Brian which is due I think to the fact that Brian actually sets aside time to play with her and I just haven't been able to with Aiden latched onto my boob for what seems like 18 hours a day. She's just a puppy, so I understand she has a lot of energy, but my energy has decreased significantly and my temper is short.

 

So yeah, I thought of looking into this and seeing if it will help.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

you're right - we do have one, but i can't find it either. i know his name is Cesar Millan, but that's about all i know! that and my sister (who has 2 rescue dogs) swears by him.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The Dog Whisperer is more about training than psychic ability, right?

 

Here's the information on the Woman that was recommended. I explained her to Matt last night.. he thought I (and my forum friends) are nutty! lol

 

http://www.dawnallen.org/index.htm

 

I have to tell you after reading the experiences of girls on here, I'm more compelled to try it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

yes, Cesar is all about training - it's not so much a "whisperer" as a behaviorist (if i had to try to explain it) - i've watched only a few times.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The Dog Whisper is an amazing dog trainer. I don't think he technically communicates with the animals via telepathy. The techniques he uses are amazing, but I've tried to do some of his moves on my dogs but they look at me like I'm ridiculous. I think I need to be more authoritative. I hope the techniques will work for you.

 

Cesar Millan - Your New Dog & Beyond DVD

 

Here's a DVD he has about new puppies.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Cesar Millan has an innate ability to gage/read/sense dogs! It's actually really fascinating to watch...love his shows. But his philosophy is a more punish type of training vs. reward based behavior. Also, i think if the average person tries to do what he does, they have a good chance of getting bit. I think the show is makes for good tv though..there are some things I have learned from him.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheese_diva View Post
The Dog Whisperer is more about training than psychic ability, right?

Here's the information on the Woman that was recommended. I explained her to Matt last night.. he thought I (and my forum friends) are nutty! lol

New Page 1

I have to tell you after reading the experiences of girls on here, I'm more compelled to try it.
Angela - that is funny! i am the one who started the thread about Dawn Allen - as of now, i know Tammy (host) as used her as well - Dawn is an AMAZING animal communicator!

as for the Dog Whisperer - he has a show on TV (we DVR it) and you can buy his books and DVD's from his site. He is not a dog communicator, he just has an inante sense dog behavior and has studied the culture.

My FI and I rescued our dog, Mabel, from the streets during a bad snowstorm, she is a large Rottweiler, she is very sweet but had never really been trained in any capacity. We genuinely feel that if it was not for Cesar Milan's techniques, we would not have been able to bring Mabel into our house and have her become such a good dog.

Jessica - i think you will really like his technique if you are a fact based person b/c he is kind of like shit or get off the pot and honestly most of his training is for people.

Good Luck!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Jessica,

 

As mentioned above, Ceasar is a trainer. He has studied dog behavior and based his "style" of training on his knowledge of canine behavior.

 

Before you pay anyone to come in and "tell" you what your dog is wishing to comminicate and thinking, I would give your pup a few weeks. I am sure in time she will adjust to Aiden and him using up so much of your time. I know you have very little free time but maybe while Aiden is napping you could lay down with your pup and spend some time with her or take her out to play in your yard for 15 minutes or so. I am sure she is used to having more of your time, but after a bit she should be fine. Good luck!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnR View Post
yes, Cesar is all about training - it's not so much a "whisperer" as a behaviorist (if i had to try to explain it) - i've watched only a few times.
Awww, I see. Well that makes me more interested. I'm all about Behaviorism so that sounds right up my alley. The "Whisperer" part made me think of that show the Horse Whisperer and I was like "Ummmm, yeah, IDK!"

Quote:
Originally Posted by LC_Rachel View Post
The Dog Whisper is an amazing dog trainer. I don't think he technically communicates with the animals via telepathy. The techniques he uses are amazing, but I've tried to do some of his moves on my dogs but they look at me like I'm ridiculous. I think I need to be more authoritative. I hope the techniques will work for you.

Cesar Millan - Your New Dog & Beyond DVD

Here's a DVD he has about new puppies.
Cool, I'll check that out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmyInMI View Post
Jessica,

As mentioned above, Ceasar is a trainer. He has studied dog behavior and based his "style" of training on his knowledge of canine behavior.

Before you pay anyone to come in and "tell" you what your dog is wishing to comminicate and thinking, I would give your pup a few weeks. I am sure in time she will adjust to Aiden and him using up so much of your time. I know you have very little free time but maybe while Aiden is napping you could lay down with your pup and spend some time with her or take her out to play in your yard for 15 minutes or so. I am sure she is used to having more of your time, but after a bit she should be fine. Good luck!!
You're definitely right. I do want to give her some more time to adjust. I'm just so short on patience right now it's making me a little crazed. Poor puppy. Tomorrow Brian is off from work which is good because while he plays wth the baby I can give some attentioin to Yaz.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

×