Photo

ROR Food Question

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Heidi

Heidi
  • 2,642 posts

Posted 04 January 2008 - 05:18 PM

Just something I'm curious about...I hear an AWFUL lot about jerk chicken, steak, lobster, shrimp, etc at the ROR. For those of you who have gone...did you notice any vegetarian food? I'm not a particularly picky eater, but I think I'd need to prepare myself if I'll be eating pasta & salad all week long!

Edited to add:
    Starting to answer my own question... took a closer look at the sample menus on their website; sounds like I'll be dining in the Asian restaurant (Mandalay) whenever I can! (Vegetarian spring rolls, deep fried tofu, curried vegetables, egg noodles with soya sauce & vegetables, Tepanyaki vegetables)
    Married April 4, 2008 at the Riu Ocho Rios!

#2 Spazz

Spazz
    • VIP Member
    • 10,482 posts

Posted 04 January 2008 - 05:25 PM

Quote:
      Originally Posted by Heidi
      Just something I'm curious about...I hear an AWFUL lot about jerk chicken, steak, lobster, shrimp, etc at the ROR. For those of you who have gone...did you notice any vegetarian food? I'm not a particularly picky eater, but I think I'd need to prepare myself if I'll be eating pasta & salad all week long!
      Ditto! I keep hearing about that damn Jerk Hut...lol!

#3 Heidi

Heidi
      • 2,642 posts

Posted 04 January 2008 - 05:26 PM

Quote:
        Originally Posted by Lizz
        Ditto! I keep hearing about that damn Jerk Hut...lol!
        haha, I always think of you when I read about that!

#4 starchild

starchild

• Moderators
        • 26,161 posts

Posted 04 January 2008 - 05:27 PM

I remember some of the best fried plantains I've ever had...yum! What else....there was cheese pizza, beans/rice, pasta without meat like alfredo, mac & cheese (do you eat dairy?), roasted veggies like squash, breadfruit

Um....I ate mostly plantains and fish...lol I'm sure you'll find a little variety. Great salad bars, fresh fruit, and bread if all else fails :o)

#5 Spazz

Spazz
          • VIP Member
          • 10,482 posts

Posted 04 January 2008 - 05:30 PM

Quote:
            Originally Posted by starchild
            I remember some of the best fried plantains I've ever had...yum! What else....there was cheese pizza, beans/rice, pasta without meat like alfredo, mac & cheese (do you eat dairy?), roasted veggies like squash, breadfruit

Um....I ate mostly plantains and fish...lol I'm sure you'll find a little variety. Great salad bars, fresh fruit, and bread if all else fails :o)
            Sounds good to me! Thanks for letting us know, Jamy!

#6 Heidi

Heidi
            • 2,642 posts

Posted 04 January 2008 - 05:31 PM

awesome, thanks Jamy! LOVE plantains! And I do eat dairy. I'm what they call a lacto-oco vegetarian (nice way of saying I eat dairy and eggs). I just can't give up my cheese...

#7 starchild

starchild

• Moderators
              • 26,161 posts

Posted 04 January 2008 - 05:35 PM

Heck no, cheese is grrreat! Oooooh...the omelette station..lots of cheese and veggies! I forgot about Mandalay, we never made it there. Sounds good. I seem to remember something about only being able to make reservations at each restaurant once during your stay but I don't know if they enforce that.

Also, they tell you to call for reservations starting at 9am or 10am (I forget which). The first day we did that our top choices were already full. After that we called at 7:30-8am every day and got reservations with no problem...so cheat and you'll have a better chance :P

#8 Heidi

Heidi
                • 2,642 posts

Posted 04 January 2008 - 05:36 PM

Thanks for the tip!

...and I love omlettes!

#9 twinkletoes

twinkletoes
                  • 2,302 posts

Posted 04 January 2008 - 05:54 PM

Oooh, those curried veggies sound pretty good :~)
                    2 Hearts, 1 Love 08.08.08Punta Cana, D.R.

#10 Birdie07

Birdie07
                    • 1,218 posts

Posted 04 January 2008 - 06:24 PM

I think you'll be fine. We ate at St. Ann's a few times and they have a HUGE salad bar and fruit bar. Plus they had pasta each time and a TON of vegetable dishes. We did eat at the mandalay and that was my favorite. They had vegetable sushi and tofu and all that good stuff. Really I think wherever you eat it'll be fine. Just don't eat the octopus ewww.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users