506 replies to this topic

#211 krystalball

krystalball
  • 227 posts
  • Wedding Date:April 9, 2016
  • Wedding Location:Grand Sirenis Riviera Maya
  • LocationToronto, Canada

Posted 16 January 2016 - 07:38 AM

@perianjay That's a great tip on the face powder!

@ashhtayy My other suggestion in terms of sweating is regarding antiperspirant. My FI also sweats like crazy (has to wear an undershirt under his dress shirts for work every day or else he ruins them quickly) and he now swears by Mitchum Clinincal 24hr: http://www.amazon.co...d/dp/B00JCG89P6

It goes on sale at Shoppers and Walmart periodically for about $6 and is worth its weight in gold. I use the women's version too as you basically do not sweat at all when wearing it so it makes your clothes last so much longer - less washing and dry cleaning! Just make sure it's the "Clinical 24hr" version that comes in a box. 

The other idea I had for you was regarding the men's clothing. We are going with navy for the men as well and plan on ordering linen clothes from here: http://www.cubavera....matches&start=4

They have a matching jacket and vest as well in the same colour. It's a bit of a muted navy so may not fit with your vision, but the price is right even with the US exchange rate so thought I'd share.

event.png

#212 TinkerSofi

TinkerSofi
  • 2,217 posts
  • Wedding Date:August 13, 2015
  • Wedding Location:Azul Fives Playa del Carmen
  • LocationCanada

Posted 16 January 2016 - 10:06 AM

I think they could do the fake cake. It's worth it to ask :). I honestly loved their cake, it was so delicious. I'm glad we got one :)

You definitely do not need any decor for the rehearsal dinner. We used it as a welcome dinner for everyone and didn't have anything. I wasn't really into checking the decor that day because I was really really sick. So sick that I only got through my hair trial but couldn't do the makeup. I had to rebook it for another day,so I was glad that I had 2 or 3 days in between the trial and the makeup. I'm not saying that will happen to you, but just something to consider. I think I just had bad/good luck, depending how you look at it. At least I got sick before the wedding and I was fine for the day of.  One tip, avoid tap water at all costs, that includes brushing your teeth, fruits and vegetables with their peel and uncooked, etc. The second I stopped brushing my teeth with tap water I felt like normal again. Anyway, this comment got sidetracked, haha I just wanted to say that you don't need decor :)

Don't feel bad about the gift registry. We made one at Home Outfitters and while we didn't get gifts from everyone we did get a few and at least you're giving people ideas as to what you want and need. We put it on our website that we did not expect gifts but we had made a list of things we wanted to buy in the future for our new home at Home Outfitters. I didn't advertise it or anything, but if people asked what we wanted for a gift I told them about it :). I think I only put that I had a registry on the bridal shower invite. 

Edited by TinkerSofi, 16 January 2016 - 10:10 AM.

event.png

#213 acw271011

acw271011
  • Moderators
  • 3,128 posts
  • Wedding Date:October 20, 2011
  • Wedding Location:We tied the knot in Runaway Bay, Jamaica and renewed our vows in Mexico on our 4th Anniversary
  • LocationToronto Area

Posted 16 January 2016 - 02:30 PM

@ashhtayy I forgot to mention Doug wore grey as well. He can be a sweaty guy too. He had both vest and jacket. He was a bit warm for our ceremony but we did have a nice breeze. Then because of the pouring rain, the restaurant had to move us inside from the terrace we were supposed to be at, to their wine room which of course is air conditioned so it worked out ok. I know the jacket would have been off and Doug would have been in vest and shirt sleeves otherwise. But nothing came through on the grey at all. I loved how it looks!

Sounds to me like you have a super sweet hubby to be and if he wants to watch you walk down the aisle and have that as the first time he sees you, then that's what you gotta do! If your photographer isn't a concern time wise I'd say you're good to go!! From the years I've been on this site it's definitely a very personal choice.

It's too bad about outside vendor fees because I could definitely help you out with cake. I don't know if there's a way for something like that to be picked up at the gate or not.... I know it's something other brides have looked into but no idea how it came together or if it did.

I said "yes" again to the love of my life at Grand Coral Beach Club, Playa del Carmen, Mexico on our 4th anniversary - October 20, 2015

http://www.bestdestinationwedding.com/topic/78874-acw271011-so-this-is-not-a-planning-thread-but/

event.png

#214 ashhtayy

ashhtayy
  • 607 posts
  • Wedding Date:June 7, 2016
  • Wedding Location:Azul Fives

Posted 16 January 2016 - 08:25 PM

@perianjay – OMG I can’t believe you ordered your flowers 10 months out and all I have done is decided on them but not yet ordered. So behind.

Sweat Topic – I was thinking of wearing a little, non-sexy pair of shaper shorts under my dress if it works. My dress is really form fitting so it may show and that may need to be axed. Although I don’t sweat a ton I figured leg sweat was inevitable, especially in a dress like mine and the shorts may help. I had no idea about that product from Sephora so thank you for the heads up. I’ll add it to my shopping list! Mike and I will definitely benefit from using it.

@krystalball – I’ll grab some of that deodorant you mentioned. When Mike had to wear dress shirts for work I can’t even guess how many we had to throw out over the years.

Men’s Attire – I quickly checked out that site you sent and the prices are amazing. We were at Yorkdale today and popped into a few stores to get some ideas. Linen isn’t out yet and I’m nervous we will be cutting it to close it we wait. Ordering online and getting it altered may be the way to go. We saw a lot of grey and blue and Mike decided he is set on blue, navy actually. That's progress, right? lol

Registry – @TinkerSofi what an overwhelming experience! We went today and it was a lot more stressful than I had envisioned. In my younger days (lol) I could make decisions on the fly but now I have such a hard time committing to anything. We did select a fair bit but the consultant told us to over-scan and go online and delete afterwards. Example – if you like two toasters scan both and make a decision once you get home. It was tricky doing it with Mike too. We really do have everything we need but we certainly don’t have the best of the best. His response to almost everything was “well we already have that and it works fine, what are we going to do with it if we have two?” lol Men. So cute.

@acw271011 – He is super sweet. We are lucky to have found one and other. It’s all about being in the right place at the right time. Never would have thought I’d meet the love of my life across the Country on a work trip. Everything happens for a reason :)

Wedding Band Update

Checked a big one off the list today! We ordered our wedding bands...YAY! We decided to have each ring engraved with our Mexico wedding date and each other’s names. Some may think that is cheesy, I personally think it’s adorable :)

Mike says once we get legally married he is going to wear the band everywhere EXCEPT around people that are coming to Mexico LOL I didn’t say anything then but come on, that can’t really happen haha

I'm including a picture of my engagement ring as well so you can somewhat invision them together. We kept it pretty basic but I couldn't be more happy. They're perfect :)

My Engagement Ring
My Wedding Band
Mike's Wedding Band
Mike's Wedding Band

Legal Wedding

We had decided to do something super low key since only my family is in Ontario – like go get married and then take my parents and brother out for dinner. Well we got a big surprise last week. Mike’s Mom and Nonna are flying in from BC for a week over Easter. This was the perfect surprise because we thought we wouldn’t get to see his family until the wedding. I think this will be the perfect time to tie the knot (legally). They will be shocked and will love that we included them.

That’s it for updates. After a day of shopping we’re cozy on the couch watching a movie and I’m working on some of our stationary. The time is flying!

#215 pjay

pjay
  • 1,791 posts
  • Wedding Date:December 15, 2015
  • Wedding Location:Beach Palace
  • LocationToronto

Posted 17 January 2016 - 07:41 AM

No worries! I didn't actually order them ten months out. I decided on mine as well and I put a deposit down. Part of the reason I did put my money down was because of the rumoured future plummet in the Canadian dollar. I ended up paying for the deposit (50%) at a much better rate. In hindsight, I wish I paid for the entire order early on to save myself more.

Good idea! Leg sweat is definitely inevitable. I explain my dress (layers upon layers of tulle) like wearing a duvet. It felt like I was wearing a duvet outside lol

My planning thread :
http://www.bestdesti...e/#entry1885631

#216 calgarybride2015

calgarybride2015
  • 4,505 posts
  • Wedding Date:January 21, 2015
  • Wedding Location:Grand Sirenis Riviera Maya
  • LocationCalgary, AB

Posted 17 January 2016 - 09:21 AM

@perianjay that's a fantastic way to explain wearing a dress in the tropical heat haha!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

-Kim

Married on 2015/01/21 at the Grand Sirenis Riviera Maya with 43 guests in attendance   :)

Planning Thread - http://www.bestdesti...s-riviera-maya/

Wedding Pictures http://www.bestdesti...ra-maya/page-36

Wedding Review http://www.bestdesti...31#entry1885600

#217 deecol

deecol
  • 787 posts
  • Wedding Date:April 30, 2016
  • Wedding Location:Grand Bahia Principe Coba, Riviera Maya, Mexico

Posted 17 January 2016 - 04:59 PM

@ashhtayy okay I'm catching up!

Chargers - I'm glad you were able to find them somewhere else - hopefully they're lightweight!

Guest Book Frame - I was trying to explain it to Colin and he couldn't picture it - could you please post a picture when you get it so I can show him?  Something like that would be perfect for us.

Suits - I forgot to mention we got ours from a place called 4 Men United in Vaughan, very affordable and great quality, if you're still into looking at options.

First Look - we're not doing one, only because we are both really looking forward to that moment when we see each other down the aisle, so I can't offer an advice but I think it's really sweet Mike is looking forward to that moment so much - sometimes you don't think they get as sentimental and mushy as we do, but they totally do, they just hide it better sometimes.

My bridal shower is the same size as yours and I'm super excited for it, small and intimate.  My best friend's had 60 women and she spent most of the time taking pictures and making small talk with the older relatives she hasn't seen in a while and didn't really get to enjoy it.  And don't worry about your love for Beiber, since his roast I now follow him on instagram and love his music!  I would love to see him in concert!

Congrats on ordering your bands!  The style of your e-ring and band is similar to mine so I obviously love!

That's such a nice idea to have your legal ceremony when Mike's family are over!  Are you surprisingly them completely like when people plan surprise weddings or telling them it's happening once they get there?

@perianjay Thank you for the powder tip!  I'm freaking out about how hot I'm going to be in my dress and now hearing that it's like wearing a duvet - oh lord.  Last time I was at the bridal shop I decided to look at just how many layers there are and I counted at least 4...

Edited by deecol, 17 January 2016 - 04:59 PM.

event.png

My Planning Thread:

http://www.bestdesti...6/#entry1904529

#218 pjay

pjay
  • 1,791 posts
  • Wedding Date:December 15, 2015
  • Wedding Location:Beach Palace
  • LocationToronto

Posted 17 January 2016 - 05:31 PM

@deecol ya it's pretty intense. Our wedding was on the hottest day of our week. Mother nature was merciless! Haha
My dress was many layers and with it being a huge Ballgown it weighed a tonne. There always had to be someone helping with my Chapel train.. It was quite the dress haha.

My planning thread :
http://www.bestdesti...e/#entry1885631

#219 acw271011

acw271011
  • Moderators
  • 3,128 posts
  • Wedding Date:October 20, 2011
  • Wedding Location:We tied the knot in Runaway Bay, Jamaica and renewed our vows in Mexico on our 4th Anniversary
  • LocationToronto Area

Posted 17 January 2016 - 11:09 PM

@ashhtayy  Your wedding band is beautiful!! It's going to look gorgeous with your e-ring. Mike's too! Doug is into simplicity as well and having them engraved is sweet. That's something I never even thought of!

Navy will work just fine and it's going to look great with your colours! I've always thought a navy suit looks really classy and it will absolutely pop for your photos!

That's so sweet too about Mike's family being available for your legal wedding. It just makes everything that much more special!

I said "yes" again to the love of my life at Grand Coral Beach Club, Playa del Carmen, Mexico on our 4th anniversary - October 20, 2015

http://www.bestdestinationwedding.com/topic/78874-acw271011-so-this-is-not-a-planning-thread-but/

event.png

#220 vancouverpetunia

vancouverpetunia
  • 670 posts
  • Wedding Date:April 7, 2016
  • Wedding Location:Now Sapphire, Riviera Maya, Mexico
  • LocationVancouver, Canada

Posted 17 January 2016 - 11:37 PM

@ashhtayy Sounds like everything is coming together! Both of your bands are very similar to ours, so of course I love them ;)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

- Erin

My planning thread: http://www.bestdesti...2016/?p=1893268

My Now Sapphire review: http://www.bestdesti...riviera-cancun/

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: 2016 Brides, Mexico, Planning Tips

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users