513 replies to this topic

#341 pjay

pjay
  • 1,791 posts
  • Wedding Date:December 15, 2015
  • Wedding Location:Beach Palace
  • LocationToronto

Posted 06 May 2015 - 07:56 AM

@Wafflesmom I think the next day is best. I do remember a bride on here mentioning that she had it the day they arrived and they really wished they had it the next day so that it gave everyone time to settle in. Sometimes a half day of travel is really overwhelming for people and they just want to relax that first day.

My planning thread :
http://www.bestdesti...e/#entry1885631

#342 Wafflesmom

Wafflesmom
  • 948 posts
  • Wedding Date:January 23, 2016
  • Wedding Location:Moon Palace
  • LocationVancouver, Canada

Posted 06 May 2015 - 08:04 AM

@veryvalentine I'm like you and I don't really want to wait for a whole day to pass before getting to know each other. BUT I agree with @perianjay that half day of traveling will be exhausting. We're all departing out of Vancouver so the flight will be 5 hours long, then we have to take into account time change. I think the earliest arrival would be 4 pm. Too close right?
My planning thread: http://www.bestdesti...anuary-23-2016/

<p>event.png

#343 veryvalentine

veryvalentine
  • 678 posts
  • Wedding Date:June 20, 2015
  • Wedding Location:Grand Sunset Princess - Mayan Riviera
  • LocationToronto

Posted 06 May 2015 - 08:07 AM

OUU that might be cutting it too close @Wafflesmom   We are having our bachelorette and bachelor party the second night so we just don't' have the option of doing it.  A lot of our guests are people we don't see regularly so a lot of them have already asked us to go to dinner with them so I think it's just easier for us to do the big dinner the first night given that they will have time to settle in and the dinner is going to be for 8:00

Edited by veryvalentine, 06 May 2015 - 08:07 AM.

Married on June 20th, 2015 at the Grand Sunset Princess Riviera Gazebo & Reception at the Chill Out with 60 guests

My planning thread:  http://www.bestdesti...unset-princess/

My review thread:  http://www.bestdesti...incess-wedding/

#344 Wafflesmom

Wafflesmom
  • 948 posts

Posted 06 May 2015 - 08:14 AM

I'm jealous of your guests' early arrival @veryvalentine. I guess I'm going to have to accept that this is cutting it too close. Plus if we don't make it in time, I think we'll get charged for organizing the private event. That wouldn't be a great start to the week!

<p>event.png

#345 beckys98

beckys98
  • 543 posts
  • Wedding Date:June 11, 2015
  • Wedding Location:Iberostar Rose Hall Suites Montego Bay

Posted 06 May 2015 - 08:36 AM

Oh crud. Reading this about the welcome dinner just stressed me out! Our wedding is on a Thursday and a critical mass of our guest arrive on Wednesday - so to do a welcome dinner we kind of have to do it on Wednesday! And we have to do it at 6:30. I know people will be tired, but I'm hoping they'll be so excited that the adrenaline will carry them through? Plus outside of the wedding that'll be the only other night we can all eat dinner together.

BUT, now I'm wondering if everyone arrives in time? I better double check flight times for those who arrive that day to make sure they do. We are doing a beach bonfire after dinner, so even if they have to (or want to) skip dinner they could definitely just join us later for the bonfire.

Also for OOT bags, I'm having them pick them up at reception when they check in. Since everyone arrives on different days, this makes the most sense. My sister got married in Mexico about 2 years ago and she did it at check in and it was really fun to have it there when you checked in! Plus, every all-inclusive I've stayed at had bellman carry our bags to our room so that shouldn't be a major problem.

That said, if our guests were arriving mostly on the same day and a few days in advance of the wedding, I might do it at the welcome dinner! That would be fun too! Basically I'm saying don't over think it - it'll be great and appreciated no matter how you do it :)

#346 Meandhim

Meandhim
  • 706 posts
  • Wedding Date:November 25, 2015
  • Wedding Location:Grand Palladium in Punta Cana
  • LocationToronto

Posted 06 May 2015 - 09:08 AM

@veryvalentine I wanted to have a welcome drink / dinner the first night and I was going to hand out the bags then, but as it turns out we do t get to the resort until 9pm or so! So by the time we get checked in and get to our rooms everyone will be tired, so of our guest will of been travelling since 5am!
We all arrive the same time so I would have to assemble the bags too once I get there too.

I haven't decided what to do yet but my mom suggest a brunch / lunch welcome the next morning. Or maybe a welcome dinner the second night??.. I don't know

But I think meeting them at the lobby and giving them the bags at check in is fun :) they would appreciate the bags and it would be a great welcome!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My Planning Thread - MeandHim - Grand Palladium Bavaro - Nov 25 2015

event.png

#347 pjay

pjay
  • 1,791 posts
  • Wedding Date:December 15, 2015
  • Wedding Location:Beach Palace
  • LocationToronto

Posted 06 May 2015 - 10:05 AM

@Wafflesmom I definitely think it's cutting it a bit close for sure. I agree too about the private event aspect of it.. there may be some who are too tired to make it. The first day when I arrive to an all inclusive is always a write off for me. I know that even us in Toronto won't make it there early enough. Our flight leaves around 1:30pm and we won't even arrive there until 4:30 or so.. then we have to make it through the airport.. get luggage and get to the resort, check in etc etc. We probably won't even get a chance to relax until about 7pm and I know I won't want to attend an organized dinner that night either.

Oh and also, just a sidenote.. I made all our private events for 6pm. I'm kind of wishing I did 7pm now (but it's too late.. already booked and made itineraries) So i'm going to let people know that if they are planning to do excursions, to try to limit it on the days of the private events.. (eeks.. I know.. I don't want to do that).

Edited by perianjay, 06 May 2015 - 10:07 AM.

My planning thread :
http://www.bestdesti...e/#entry1885631

#348 Wafflesmom

Wafflesmom
  • 948 posts

Posted 06 May 2015 - 10:56 AM

Thanks for all the advice @perianjay and @veryvalentine. And you make a great point @perianjay, I will schedule it for 7pm the next day

<p>event.png

#349 TinkerSofi

TinkerSofi
  • 2,217 posts
  • Wedding Date:August 13, 2015
  • Wedding Location:Azul Fives Playa del Carmen
  • LocationCanada

Posted 06 May 2015 - 11:12 AM

We are kind of in the same dilemma. We're actually arriving with all of our guests so that's why i'm having them somewhat prepared and then only putting one thing inside of the other and that's it. I still don't know if we will hand them out during the welcome dinner or just go around people's rooms handing them out the day we arrive. 

I almost feel like if i give them away the day of the welcome dinner what was the point of putting the welcome dinner on the brochure's timeline. It would be the easiest thing though. 

event.png

#350 calgarybride2015

calgarybride2015
  • 4,506 posts
  • Wedding Date:January 21, 2015
  • Wedding Location:Grand Sirenis Riviera Maya
  • LocationCalgary, AB

Posted 06 May 2015 - 03:41 PM

Hey!

I had a family of 4 and with our bride/groom luggage upgrade we got 6 suitcases included. I used them all. One for cups, smaller one for maracas, and the other for decor and extra kid stuff. Then 3 for clothes.

I had welcome drinks - not a booked event just had everyone meet in the lobby bar the first evening and I handed the cups out. My OOT items were inside the cups :) everyone got to meet everyone and it was fun. People really enjoyed it.

Hope that helps.

We are kind of in the same dilemma. We're actually arriving with all of our guests so that's why i'm having them somewhat prepared and then only putting one thing inside of the other and that's it. I still don't know if we will hand them out during the welcome dinner or just go around people's rooms handing them out the day we arrive.

I almost feel like if i give them away the day of the welcome dinner what was the point of putting the welcome dinner on the brochure's timeline. It would be the easiest thing though.

Going around handing them out sounds stressful. For a couple reasons -- when you arrive you are wanting to settle and get unpacked etc and trying to get everyone's numbers could be a hassle. Then if you go and they aren't in their rooms you gotta remember who got one and didn't. I vote for just having a welcome event and handing them out! That's just me though. I arrived with over 30 of our guests and I agree about having as much as possible ready to go. My sister came and helped get them unwrapped and into beach bags to carry to the welcome drinks.

We landed at 230pm and were to the resort by 5pm. The welcome drinks was at 730pm. Everyone came. It was a tad stressful for me as the Cancun airport shot my nerves but I'm glad I got it over with on day one!!! People had the stuff to use. People weren't off exploring and drinking and such. Worked well for us.

Edited by calgarybride2015, 06 May 2015 - 03:47 PM.

-Kim

Married on 2015/01/21 at the Grand Sirenis Riviera Maya with 43 guests in attendance   :)

Planning Thread - http://www.bestdesti...s-riviera-maya/

Wedding Pictures http://www.bestdesti...ra-maya/page-36

Wedding Review http://www.bestdesti...31#entry1885600

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: 2015 Brides, Mexico, Planning Tips

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users