Sign in to follow this  
Mrsktobe

Anyone Elses Ahr 3-6 Months After The Fact?

So my parents are paying for our at home reception as they were the ones who wanted to have it. My husband and I paid for Mexico and did all of that, so they are taking it on as they want to have one to invite their friends, show us off (their words, not mine)

However, they wanted to have it April 18th (We got married November 11th of this year) as it's after Easter so hardcore old school Ukrainians don't get upset and so that the roads are better. I honestly think that it's too long after the fact and that it looks bad to have it 5 months after and I am feeling pretty crappy about it and what people will think.. Has anyone else had there's this long after? What was the feedback?

I have already put my foot down and told them I am not wearing my dress again as it's too long after and that we aren't having a head table or speeches or the dances again. So we have kind of compromised a bit.

Thoughts???

We got married in Cancun on October 12th this year and our reception is late June at my in-laws house. i am not planning or paying for any of it so as I see it--- I am rollin with it! I thought it was a bit odd at first but then realized its not my place to say anything and that I need to just appreciate and enjoy another party! Good luck and congratulations on your recent marriage!! :)

I think 5 months is fine. Most people I know who have had one did them later on so it was in the summer time. I wouldn't think twice about it, but that is me :)

I agree re dresses and speeches and tables. But I don't see an AHR as a second wedding more as a party for those who couldn't come. Kind of like a 'yay we are married' party. Wedding dress is for the wedding but again my opinion :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by calgarybride2015
  • Like 1

Hi! I just starting the wedding planning process and will be having a small reception when we get back from Mexico. I was wondering how long after the wedding you have the AHR? Were getting married early June 2016. I live on the coast in North Carolina, so summer is hurricane season here and hotels are rather expensive this time of year due to the beach vacationers. I was orginally thinking July, but it's super hot here then. Then thinking mid September to early October, since its still warm and people can visit the beach yet don't have to pay summer hotel prices, but this is prime hurricane time. So I'm really unsure when to have it.

One thing I am learning in this process is there is always that family member who makes the planning process complicated!! I have changed my plans 3 times now, all due to my mother.

Ive never heard about a set time for the ahr, but then again im new to wedding planning. I would just go with it if she is paying and enjoy the celebration. You also said in June the roads will be better, so this is a positive!

I don't think a few months after the fact is too much. We are leaning towards an AHR (this is pending budget since we are paying for our DW ourselves) a few months later as well. Though I will admit this is partially due to the fact that my aunt will be undergoing chemo during my wedding and can no longer attend :(

My friend's reception and marriage has about 5 months gap and it was fine.It was fun and we recollected the memories and had a great time. You can wear something else than your wedding dress. Enjoy!

Edited by MillerK
  • Like 1