Byo Photographer

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 futuremrsjimmymac

• 1 posts

Posted 01 October 2014 - 07:55 AM

Has anyone played with the idea of bringing their own photographer/videographer? How does that work? Do I pay for their hotel and flight?

#2 puravida2015

• 210 posts
    • Wedding Date:April 17, 2015
    • Wedding Location:Dreams Las Mareas

Posted 01 October 2014 - 08:20 AM

Depends on the deal you're able to work out with that photographer / videographer. You'll have to discuss those terms.  Whether you pay for their flight and room and get a discounted package or they pay for their own travel expenses for the opportunity to shoot at a destination wedding. But most will expect you to pay at least a port of their travel costs.

#3 spjwedding

• 157 posts
    • Wedding Date:December 6, 2014
    • Wedding Location:Zama Beach Club
    • LocationIsla Mujeres, Mexico

Posted 01 October 2014 - 10:43 AM

I always figured to have to pay for travel expenses so I didn't even look into it. Would rather find someone who knows the area dn the great "inside" spots to shoot :)

#4 beckys98

• 543 posts
    • Wedding Date:June 11, 2015
    • Wedding Location:Iberostar Rose Hall Suites Montego Bay

Posted 01 October 2014 - 01:17 PM

My sister brought her photographer to Mexico for her wedding and paid for travel and accommodations for 2 people. Plus the price of the package.

#5 TAkathy

• Insiders
    • 89 posts

Posted 01 October 2014 - 01:25 PM

It is also important to check with the property if you are having the ceremony at a location where the package may include the services of a local photographer.  They often have pre-arranged agreements with local vendors and there could be a fee for not using the one they have contracted with.

In addition, there may be a fee for using an outside vendor - and it may vary depending on whether they are also on the guest list or not (staying at the property vs elsewhere)

Looking for a travel agency that specializes in Destination Weddings? We are an award winning travel agency and you can read our reviews HERE.

Awards and recognition:

Palace Resorts Top PRO Agency
      Karisma Hotels Diamond Level 5 (highest production), Top 10 Azul Weddings, Top Wedding Coordinator
      AMResorts Master Agent & Top Agency
      Travel Impressions Best of the Best Globe Winner
      Apple Vacations Golden Apple Winner

#6 calgarybride2015

• 4,504 posts
      • Wedding Date:January 21, 2015
      • Wedding Location:Grand Sirenis Riviera Maya
      • LocationCalgary, AB

Posted 01 October 2014 - 03:57 PM

At my resort if they stayed more than 3 nights there was no vendor fee.

I've inquired with a few people in my town and got 3 different answers. Some want their trip paid and work is free. Some want their trip and a spouse paid and work is free. Some want a package paid and they pay their own way. Everyone is different, so you'd have to ask around :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Married on 2015/01/21 at the Grand Sirenis Riviera Maya with 43 guests in attendance   :)

Planning Thread - http://www.bestdesti...s-riviera-maya/

Wedding Pictures http://www.bestdesti...ra-maya/page-36

Wedding Review http://www.bestdesti...31#entry1885600

#7 kmk2016

• Moderators
      • 1,468 posts
      • Wedding Date:February 29, 2016
      • Wedding Location:Azul Sensatori- Riviera Maya
      • LocationCalgary Canada

Posted 02 October 2014 - 02:44 AM

Just a word of caution to think about... Even if you aren't exchanging cash (providing room and "board" at an all inclusive for your photographer to shoot your wedding) this is still a transaction in hiring someone to work for you. If your byo photographer is working in Mexico, they are theoretically required to apply for a temporary work permit. Obviously most do not- and never get caught...BUT... I for one would not want to be caught doing something illegal in Mexico (and this qualifies) or be responsible for having a byo photographer detained at the Mexican border because of an arrangement I organized. Not sure how hard it is to get the proper paperwork, but I would add this to your costs as well just to be safe.

#8 jessicarr

• 4 posts

Posted 10 October 2014 - 04:54 PM

My friend couln't find a photogrpaher for her wedding in the Bhamas and flew down her own. She paid for the tick and hotel but for her it was worth it

#9 malyna

• 346 posts
        • Wedding Date:November 14, 2015
        • Wedding Location:Excellence Playa Mujeres

Posted 11 October 2014 - 05:27 PM

I'm bringing my own... We're planning on using the "free room" to help pay for his room

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users