Photo

Problems Getting Artificial Flowers Through Customs?

Flowers Flowers customs

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 hyoungquist

hyoungquist
  • 169 posts
  • Wedding Date:June 22, 2015
  • Wedding Location:Cabo San Lucas
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 28 May 2014 - 09:20 AM

Hi there! Just wanted to see if anyone knows if there could be any issues getting fake flowers through customs, specifically to Cabo San Lucas. Any future brides who have contacted anyone about this or any past brides had experience with this? I am wanting to make my own bouquet and boutonniere but would hate to have them confiscated on the way to my wedding! 

#2 csho

csho
  • 1,007 posts
  • Wedding Date:May 5, 2014
  • Wedding Location:Iberostar Laguna Azul, Varadero Cuba
  • LocationHalifax, NS

Posted 28 May 2014 - 10:48 AM

If they are artificial I don't think it should be an issue at all. I don't know about Mexico or Cabo specifically but I took artificial flowers to Cuba and I didn't have any issues at all!

#3 jayejayelynn

jayejayelynn
  • 165 posts
  • Wedding Date:May 22, 2015

Posted 28 May 2014 - 02:51 PM

this is good to know, I wouldnt have even thought!! I thought about bringing some for the cermony!

#4 acw271011

acw271011
  • Moderators
  • 3,128 posts
  • Wedding Date:October 20, 2011
  • Wedding Location:We tied the knot in Runaway Bay, Jamaica and renewed our vows in Mexico on our 4th Anniversary
  • LocationToronto Area

Posted 29 May 2014 - 09:00 AM

I'm not sure what the problem would be if the flowers are artificial. There might be an issue if they are real but having said that I brought my real bouquet home from Jamaica almost carrying it in my hand so it wouldn't get squished and got through customs back into canada with no problem.

I said "yes" again to the love of my life at Grand Coral Beach Club, Playa del Carmen, Mexico on our 4th anniversary - October 20, 2015

http://www.bestdestinationwedding.com/topic/78874-acw271011-so-this-is-not-a-planning-thread-but/

event.png

#5 hyoungquist

hyoungquist
  • 169 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 29 May 2014 - 09:47 AM

@acw271011 that is awesome! We had a couple pieces of fruit that we forgot about confiscated. My concern was if for some reason they thought the flowers were real. 

#6 acw271011

acw271011
  • Moderators
  • 3,128 posts
  • Wedding Date:October 20, 2011
  • Wedding Location:We tied the knot in Runaway Bay, Jamaica and renewed our vows in Mexico on our 4th Anniversary
  • LocationToronto Area

Posted 29 May 2014 - 11:05 AM

@acw271011 that is awesome! We had a couple pieces of fruit that we forgot about confiscated. My concern was if for some reason they thought the flowers were real. 

I'll be honest - they seem stricter coming back into the US and canada than going into Mexico. I've seen people coming back into New Brunswick after camping across the border in Maine and forgetting leftover firewood, and customs has confiscated it. They had this big pile of firewood sitting there! And where we cross at Buffalo NY there is a big sign that says no fruit or vegetables, plants or firewood so I can see why you had fruit taken.

But again, I got my bouquet back into canada and nobody said a thing, or even looked at it twice. I was fully prepared to have it taken away but I brought it home and it lasted for almost 2 weeks after. I know the guy at the airport said something about the fact that it was cut flowers. He said "they're cut flowers. you can't plant them" so no idea if that really is the difference or what.

Maybe something different between Mexico and Jamaica???

I said "yes" again to the love of my life at Grand Coral Beach Club, Playa del Carmen, Mexico on our 4th anniversary - October 20, 2015

http://www.bestdestinationwedding.com/topic/78874-acw271011-so-this-is-not-a-planning-thread-but/

event.png

#7 hyoungquist

hyoungquist
  • 169 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 29 May 2014 - 05:05 PM

@acw271011 I live in California and there are agricultural inspections at almost all state border crossings! Usually it is worse coming back into the states but I am going to ask when I go down to Cabo next month just to see.

#8 vsschick

vsschick
  • 157 posts
  • Wedding Date:August 1, 2016
  • Wedding Location:Moon Palace

Posted 17 December 2014 - 07:48 PM

If it's possible to take real flowers through customs, that would be great

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users