• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 TammyWright

Admin & Owner

• Administrators
  • 11,659 posts
  • Wedding Location:Dreams Los Cabos

Posted 05 January 2014 - 01:16 PM

Perfect to help you eat right for the new year!

As I mentioned in an earlier post, I am on a mission to get back to bathing suit shape and am trying to eat more salads. I actually LOVE homemade salads but they can be a little time consuming to put together.  I have tried to clean and chop all the ingredients at the beginning of the week to make my salads but found some of the ingredients got slimy and unappetizing.

It took me about an hour to get all the ingredients cleaned and chopped but you do not have to have as many ingredients.  I happen to like lots of yummies in my salad.

Look at what I got from the Farmer’s Market:

So here is how I make my Salad in a Jar.

1. Wash and thoroughly dry mason jars.  I like the wide mouth jars.

2. While jars are drying get your ingredients cleaned, chopped, etc. for assembly.

3. Start assembling your salad in a jar.

The assembly “line”:

I like to put them in this order:

1. 2-3 TB salad dressing at the bottom of the jar.  I like to use a Meyer Lemon Dijon Salad Dressing.

2. Then I add pickled, canned or jar items like olives, cornichons, capers, marinated artichoke hears, beans,  etc.

3. Then I add cooked foods like leftover meat, hard-boiled eggs, tuna, roasted beets etc.

4. Then I like to add the fresh vegetable and I put carrots last as a buffer for the lettuce to keep it from getting soggy.   tip: if using fresh tomatoes, I prefer cherry tomatoes because they are not as watery.  If using large tomatoes, cut and let them drain a bit before adding to your jar.

5. Then I put the lettuce, greens.

5. I top with nuts or croutons.

Suggestions for things to put in your salad:

• beans (be sure to rinse and drain them well.  They have a slime on them which you do not want in your salad)
  • hard-boiled eggs
  • leftover dinner meat (chicken, ham, steak, fish)
  • tofu (firm, baked)
  • fruit and berries
  • nuts (pinenuts, almonds, pecans)
  • sunflower seeds
  • roasted beets
  • capers

Founder and Owner of BestDestinationWedding.com  /  Bride & Groom Fly FREE Promotion

Looking for a travel agency that specializes in Destination Weddings-CLICK HERE?  We are an award winning travel agency and you can read our reviews here.
Awards and recognition: 
Palace Resorts Winner "Top Travel Agent", "Top Homebased Travel Agency" PRO Platinum Agency (Top Award)     |    AMResorts Master Agent & Top Agency  
Karisma Hotels Diamond Level 5 (highest production), Top 10 Azul Weddings, Top Wedding Coordinator | Wright Travel & Karisma GIVC Benefits
Travel Impressions Best of the Best Globe Winner    |     Apple Vacations Golden Apple Winner  
sml_gallery_206696_17612_13451.pnggallery_206696_17572_8409.jpg    sml_gallery_206696_17572_1003.jpg
Vendor rules are HERE! Please read!  If you are a vendor and looking to advertise your business, please email ads@bestdestinationwedding.com.

#2 Rainmaker

• 186 posts
  • Wedding Date:June 1, 2014
  • Wedding Location:Nassau, Bahamas

Posted 31 January 2014 - 09:19 AM

#3 CurlyKristen

• 209 posts
  • Wedding Date:January 31, 2015
  • Wedding Location:Now Sapphire
  • LocationPuerto Morelos, Mexico

Posted 16 February 2014 - 12:36 PM

OMG! I love this idea! I have seen it on pinterest :) will have to try it for an easy lunch at work

#4 nicofio22

• 161 posts

Posted 25 February 2014 - 06:55 AM

What a great idea!  I am normally rushing in the morning, so my lunch @ works consists of a cereal bar & a piece of fruit! Not so very good for you!

#5 EmmaBrown

• 56 posts

Posted 25 March 2014 - 04:36 AM

Looks great- how long before they start going slimy, though?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users