My DIY message in a bottle sand favors- pic heavy tutorial!

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Tinkerbell82

• 193 posts

Posted 02 November 2013 - 09:05 AM

Posted Image I just made these super cute mini favor bottles for guests to collect sand at the beach to keep as a memory of the trip. I'm not sure how I'm going to package them yet but they're going to go in the OOT bags. I ordered the jars from china on eBay. I paid right around $5 for 20 of them. The starfish charms are also from eBay. I think it was about $5 for 90 so there are plenty left over for another project. Posted Image Here's a list of everything I used: Jars Starfish charms Wax cotton cord (from michaels, left over from my invites) 1/16 inch hole punch (also from michaels, left over from invites) Paper and printer Scissors Needle and thread Thimble Small bowl for collecting scraps (not necessary but I made my in bed so cleanup was a breeze) I started by printing the message on plain paper using the Avery 5160 label template in word. Posted Image Next, cut the strips of paper to size. This is a bit tricky. If you make them too big the cork will squish the message. Too small and they will turn sideways and be difficult to remove. I measured the paper against the length of the bottle right past the neck. Posted Image (Please excuse my un-manicured nails!) :) Next, punch your message at the tail end: Posted Image (Continued)...

#2 Tinkerbell82

• 193 posts

Posted 02 November 2013 - 09:11 AM

Now comes the hard part. You want to get the thread through the cork. After much trial and error I found it easiest to go sideways through the skinny end. Go slow and use your thimble! Posted Image After you get the cork through, pull it all the way to the knot at the end of the string. Then slide your message down the string and double tie it, leaving about 1/2-3/4 inch of string. This makes it easier to pull the message out later. Posted Image Roll your message with the writing facing inwards. Posted Image Then pop it in the bottle and seal it with the cork. At this point you can trim any loose strings. Posted Image Next, cut about 2 inches of cord. Posted Image Finally, thread your charm and double knot it around the neck of the bottle. You're all done! :) Posted Image

#3 Tinkerbell82

• 193 posts

Posted 02 November 2013 - 09:13 AM

The idea is that when they pull the cork out the message comes out easily as it's attached. :) Posted Image Posted Image Hope you guys enjoy! Let me know if you have any questions. :)

#4 HEZZA

• 166 posts
        • Wedding Location:Jamaica - Still deciding on resort
        • LocationNear Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Posted 09 January 2014 - 02:48 PM

Cute idea :) 

#5 colonialbride87

• 24 posts

Posted 12 January 2014 - 04:03 AM

Cute idea!

#6 amandab36

• 181 posts
          • Wedding Location:Varadero, Cuba
          • LocationOntario, Canada

Posted 14 January 2014 - 12:56 AM

Very cool idea!!!

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Tapatalk

#7 brendab1797

• 152 posts
          • Wedding Date:September 12, 2014
          • Wedding Location:Punta Cana, Dominican Republic
          • LocationNow Larimar Resort

Posted 15 March 2014 - 07:56 AM

These are very nice, I am doing them but hadn't thought to put a message in the bottle.  Thanks for the inspiration. 

#8 Meandhim

• 706 posts
          • Wedding Date:November 25, 2015
          • Wedding Location:Grand Palladium in Punta Cana
          • LocationToronto

Posted 18 March 2014 - 06:57 AM

Love your Idea! Might have to steal it! Thanks for Sharing!

My Planning Thread - MeandHim - Grand Palladium Bavaro - Nov 25 2015

#9 Traci Felton

Traci Felton
          • 150 posts

Posted 18 March 2014 - 01:57 PM

#10 luisanmike

• 162 posts
            • Wedding Date:August 9, 2014
            • Wedding Location:Gran Bahia Principe Runaway Bay Jamaica
            • LocationCalifornia USA

Posted 26 April 2014 - 04:57 PM

0 user(s) are reading this topic