To the Riviera Maya we go :) But where in the RM???...

EvySF

Hi all, so excited to finally join BDW. I'm planning a wedding in the Riviera Maya for April 2014. I've been doing tons of research on different venues, I'm sure you can all relate :)

I really can't decide what to do. I wanted to host my wedding at one of the finer resorts in the area, but they're a bit pricy for all the guests to stay. And I really feel uncomfortable imposing on my guests on where they need to stay- their budgets vary and we have some families with kids, and the additional per night charges for these cute little guests can really add up.

I am almost ready to sign a contract with Al Cielo. The reviews are great and my guests are not required to stay there to host the weddings. Don't get me wrong I love it, from what I can see (pics). But I feel like it's not completely me. My style is simple (which Al Cielo achieves) but elegant and refined (which Al Cielo does not meet, it's cute and rustic). I thought about getting around that by focusing on decoration and other details.

Do any other brides have similar problems? Does anyone know of any upscale resorts or venues in the area that do not require your guests to stay there???

HI! I am also getting married in Riviera Maya, Mexico in 2014, but in May. I am having SUCH a tough time deciding on a resort, we are considering Secrets Maroma Beach and also Excellence Riviera Cancun but I am unsure, I have ready really good things and bad things about both! I am trying to find the best resort with the prettiest beach, best food, and best price for my fiance and I and our guests, ya know! I would love to hear what other resorts you are considering!

We were somewhat in your situation when we were deciding on a resort. We really fell in love with EDR, but it was certainly a higher priced resort for both our stay, and our guests. We decided to do a shorter stay vs. compromise on the resort we loved so much. Most of our guests stayed 3 or 4 nights, and some stayed 6 or 7. They were able to stay longer as they wanted to. It really worked out well, and everyone LOVED the resort. We had 4 guests stay off site, and EDR allowed them to come on the property the day of the wedding (beginning 1 hour before the ceremony) w/out a charge because we hosted a private dinner/reception. Their rule is 75% of the group must stay on property. 

When I was looking, we saw a lot of kids-stay-extra-nights-free type promotions. You may want to look into those with some of the family resorts. Depending on the size of your group, you may get free nights (in the form of credits to your room/stay), and you can also spread those across the group or help subsidize someone's stay). 

You can always, always change up the way a venue looks with decorations. Fabrics can change a rustic into an elegant, and lighting can make an impact too. That said, I wouldn't choose a resort I didn't feel was a good fit just for the cost. 

Originally Posted by EvySF View Post

Hi all, so excited to finally join BDW. I'm planning a wedding in the Riviera Maya for April 2014. I've been doing tons of research on different venues, I'm sure you can all relate :)

I really can't decide what to do. I wanted to host my wedding at one of the finer resorts in the area, but they're a bit pricy for all the guests to stay. And I really feel uncomfortable imposing on my guests on where they need to stay- their budgets vary and we have some families with kids, and the additional per night charges for these cute little guests can really add up.

I am almost ready to sign a contract with Al Cielo. The reviews are great and my guests are not required to stay there to host the weddings. Don't get me wrong I love it, from what I can see (pics). But I feel like it's not completely me. My style is simple (which Al Cielo achieves) but elegant and refined (which Al Cielo does not meet, it's cute and rustic). I thought about getting around that by focusing on decoration and other details.

Do any other brides have similar problems? Does anyone know of any upscale resorts or venues in the area that do not require your guests to stay there???

Originally Posted by Andrea Rhoades View Post

HI! I am also getting married in Riviera Maya, Mexico in 2014, but in May. I am having SUCH a tough time deciding on a resort, we are considering Secrets Maroma Beach and also Excellence Riviera Cancun but I am unsure, I have ready really good things and bad things about both! I am trying to find the best resort with the prettiest beach, best food, and best price for my fiance and I and our guests, ya know! I would love to hear what other resorts you are considering!

Hi Andrea, congrats!!!! Yes, I'm hoping things get a little easier, once we decide on a resort. The process has been difficult in trying to think about what will be good for all our guests. My sweet fiancé keeps reminding me that it's all about what I want, but one of the most important things for me is that our dear friends and family can be there to enjoy our special day. That of course lands me back at... well which place is best for everyone... :/

I have been in contact with the folks at Banyan Tree. I cannot tell you how many reviews I've read for this resort and they are all GREAT! Had they been able to drop the price a little for our guests, I've definitely signed a contract with them.

The people at Zoetry have been very responsive, and have worked with me on a few things. I definitely recommend checking them out. They're a little too close to Cancun and  little too far from PDC, and that is a problem for me.

I'm also waiting to hear back from Maroma and Esencia. I hear at Esencia the requirement is 50% of guests stay there, I think I can work with that... Unfortunately, they have been a bit too slow getting back to me. Their lag in follow-up is a bit concerning.

Hope this helps a little. It'd be great to also hear about the places you've contacted and what your experience has been so far...

Happy planning Andrea msnwink.gif

There are a lot of options for you and your guests.  EDR is a great adults only property.  You may want to look at Azul Sensatori or Azul Beach both are family friendly and have an amazing wedding staff.  If you work with a travel agent that specializes in DW's they can work with the resort to get you some incentives and assist in coordinating everything for you at no charge.  

Originally Posted by AllieH View Post

We were somewhat in your situation when we were deciding on a resort. We really fell in love with EDR, but it was certainly a higher priced resort for both our stay, and our guests. We decided to do a shorter stay vs. compromise on the resort we loved so much. Most of our guests stayed 3 or 4 nights, and some stayed 6 or 7. They were able to stay longer as they wanted to. It really worked out well, and everyone LOVED the resort. We had 4 guests stay off site, and EDR allowed them to come on the property the day of the wedding (beginning 1 hour before the ceremony) w/out a charge because we hosted a private dinner/reception. Their rule is 75% of the group must stay on property. 

When I was looking, we saw a lot of kids-stay-extra-nights-free type promotions. You may want to look into those with some of the family resorts. Depending on the size of your group, you may get free nights (in the form of credits to your room/stay), and you can also spread those across the group or help subsidize someone's stay). 

You can always, always change up the way a venue looks with decorations. Fabrics can change a rustic into an elegant, and lighting can make an impact too. That said, I wouldn't choose a resort I didn't feel was a good fit just for the cost. 

WOW!!!!!!!! Love, love your pics and you made such a beautiful bride, Allie. Thank you sooo much for the advice! The EDR resort looks fabulous :) Unfortunately, they're an adults only resort and we have some kids. Also, the people that don't have kids are my beautiful single friends who will probably want to stay closer to PDC for the social scene.

Maybe it's the time, I'm planning to get married in late April, but with the exception of Zoetry, the resorts I've contacted are not flexible at all. To be honest, I haven't negotiated the wedding costs. I've mainly focused on getting better rates for my guests. My mother has offered to subsidize some of the cots for some of our guests, if needed. Her SWEET gesture just makes me want to focus more on the people more than the place :) Because of that I still find myself leaning toward Al Cielo. The more I read about it, the more it makes me think that it would impossible to not have a BEAUTIFUL wedding there. The overly rustic feel of the place will definitely make it a fun challenge:)

Did you use a WC? Did you work with outside vendors? If so, were you satisfied. I'd appreciate any information you can share.

Thank you Allie!

Welcome to the Forum and Congrats on your decision to get married in the Riviera Maya!!

Riviera Maya is a gorgeous area and i can imagine that you have a hard time choosing a resort.

There is also a  wide range of beautiful Off Resort locations!

Did you check out for example the Grand Coral Beach Club? It is a very pretty and unique location and we do a lot of weddings there.

If you have any questions you can send me an email to: weddingsinplayadelcarmen@gmail.com

Feel free to ask us anything and we will be happy to help.

Happy Planning!

Joyce

aww thanks Evy! It was definitely a dream wedding.

What about looking into the Azul Sensatori or Azul Beach? Those are also Karisma resorts (same family as EDR), and family friendly.

Most of them won't really negotiate on their room rates. Are you working with a travel agent? I found that was the best way to get not only the best room rates, but also additional amenities many of the time (private parties or add ons).

We used the resort's WC - Lomas Weddings.

The only outside vendor we used was my photographer who is a close friend of mine that is a pro, and she stayed at the resort with the rest of our guests (I couldn't imagine anyone else capturing my special day!) They waived the outside vendor fee for her as a result. Also, her 3 night stay was less expensive to pay than the outside vendor fee. I've seen several Karisma brides choose to book the vendor a room at the resort vs. pay the fee. It seems they may be more strict about outside vendors though and allowing them at all.

We decided not to pay the outside vendors for any other services - it wasn't the best use of our $$ we felt. I think there may have been ways to get around this, such as going and picking up a cake ourselves, etc. But I didn't want the additional worry or stress of dealing with it.

We used the resort's DJ (and loved them), and brought our own decorations for the most part to keep the costs down.

That said, there are several resorts who are much more friendly with outside vendors, or charge less of a fee than the Karisma resorts.

As you said, having your closest friends and family there is a huge priority for you, so I would keep shopping around for that perfect resort. It's out there!!!  

WOW!!!!!!!! Love, love your pics and you made such a beautiful bride, Allie. Thank you sooo much for the advice! The EDR resort looks fabulous :) Unfortunately, they're an adults only resort and we have some kids. Also, the people that don't have kids are my beautiful single friends who will probably want to stay closer to PDC for the social scene.

Maybe it's the time, I'm planning to get married in late April, but with the exception of Zoetry, the resorts I've contacted are not flexible at all. To be honest, I haven't negotiated the wedding costs. I've mainly focused on getting better rates for my guests. My mother has offered to subsidize some of the cots for some of our guests, if needed. Her SWEET gesture just makes me want to focus more on the people more than the place :) Because of that I still find myself leaning toward Al Cielo. The more I read about it, the more it makes me think that it would impossible to not have a BEAUTIFUL wedding there. The overly rustic feel of the place will definitely make it a fun challenge:)

Did you use a WC? Did you work with outside vendors? If so, were you satisfied. I'd appreciate any information you can share.

Thank you Allie!