Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
mrsnova

Need help fast deciding when to do AHR!!!

Recommended Posts

I am making and sending my invitations out in about a week and I am including the AHR info to save money and time making separate invites. I am going back and forth between having the ARH directly after the wedding (about a week after we get back), a few weeks to a month after, or like two months after!! The main reasons I am having trouble deciding is because we are having the reception at my parents house/backyard in Portland, Oregon. My wedding is March first and the weather in Portland is pretty cool at that time of year. We have talked about getting heaters and tents If needed and of course using the inside. I am hesitant to wait until the weather gets nicer (especially because weather in Portland in even June is unpredictable) because I don't want it to be too long after the wedding and not feel "fresh". My other dilemma is time off of work (I just got a new job). I live in Ft Collins Colorado and have to make a trip for the ARH and thought it may be easier to either take 2 weeks off and do both at once, or wait a couple months. I don't know I am so conflicted and need to decide SOON! Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated :).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Originally Posted by mrsnova View Post

 

I am making and sending my invitations out in about a week and I am including the AHR info to save money and time making separate invites. I am going back and forth between having the ARH directly after the wedding (about a week after we get back), a few weeks to a month after, or like two months after!!

The main reasons I am having trouble deciding is because we are having the reception at my parents house/backyard in Portland, Oregon. My wedding is March first and the weather in Portland is pretty cool at that time of year. We have talked about getting heaters and tents If needed and of course using the inside.

I am hesitant to wait until the weather gets nicer (especially because weather in Portland in even June is unpredictable) because I don't want it to be too long after the wedding and not feel "fresh". My other dilemma is time off of work (I just got a new job). I live in Ft Collins Colorado and have to make a trip for the ARH and thought it may be easier to either take 2 weeks off and do both at once, or wait a couple months.

I don't know I am so conflicted and need to decide SOON! Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated :).

 

YAY another CO bride!!! The FI and I are in Boulder. That is a tough one! Just based off what my FI and I are doing...we are getting married end of May and having our AHR Labor Day weekend of 2013. Which may be an option for you. Then you can have an extra day, paid for by your company hopefully, and not have to take much if any time off. And I can only assume Aug/Sept in Portland is nice. Friends of our that have had DW have said that they wished they would have given themselves a little time to do the AHR after the DW so they could get settled back in from their vacay and not have the stress of another party to plan/attend right after they got back. But it's what ever works for you in your life. If you don't have the time and your parents are offering to get heaters then just go with what makes you the most comfortable. Good luck to you and congrats!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Originally Posted by melnryluvco View Post

 

 

YAY another CO bride!!! The FI and I are in Boulder. That is a tough one! Just based off what my FI and I are doing...we are getting married end of May and having our AHR Labor Day weekend of 2013. Which may be an option for you. Then you can have an extra day, paid for by your company hopefully, and not have to take much if any time off. And I can only assume Aug/Sept in Portland is nice. Friends of our that have had DW have said that they wished they would have given themselves a little time to do the AHR after the DW so they could get settled back in from their vacay and not have the stress of another party to plan/attend right after they got back. But it's what ever works for you in your life. If you don't have the time and your parents are offering to get heaters then just go with what makes you the most comfortable. Good luck to you and congrats!

This forum is so great to connect with other brides, I love it! Labor day is a good idea for the extra day off. Unfortunately I do not want to wait that long (my wedding is March 1st). After talking it over with friends and family I think I decided on March 30th (about 3 1/2 weeks after I get back). Believe it or not this is the original date I had set lol. I guess I will just have to figure out time off work later

 

I can see why having some time in between would be good to get settled in but for us I think we would be over it by then and not want to do it. Haha probably sounds crazy but we are not 100% excited about doing the AHR anyways (doing it more for those who couldn't make it to the destination wedding).

 

Thank you so much for your input :) Good luck on your planning! I see you are getting married in Riviera Maya too..which resort? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

mrsnova- 3 weeks isn't bad! That would deff be enough time to come home, rest a lil, and gear up for the next fiesta! My FI wasn't too keen on doing a AHR either until he got a guilt trip from his elderly family members that won't be at the DW that still want to celebrate with us. So after they mentioned that he was on board with doing an AHR. We were suppose to do our DW in Maui but now we have over 25 confirmed guests and it was getting WAAAAY to stressful on me trying to plan a DW for that many people in Maui that wasn't going to cost us an arm and a leg. So we moved it to Rivera Maya but because we decided just this month we now have to find a resort with an evening date on 05.31 or 06.01 available. I'm hoping the NOW resorts but they're pretty books so it might be the Dreams Tulum. At this point I don't really care. Just as long as I can have my sunset pictures.

 

 

 

LCB803- So are you having a tough time wither to do an AHR or not or how far apart to space the DW and the AHR?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Originally Posted by melnryluvco View Post

 

mrsnova- 3 weeks isn't bad! That would deff be enough time to come home, rest a lil, and gear up for the next fiesta! My FI wasn't too keen on doing a AHR either until he got a guilt trip from his elderly family members that won't be at the DW that still want to celebrate with us. So after they mentioned that he was on board with doing an AHR. We were suppose to do our DW in Maui but now we have over 25 confirmed guests and it was getting WAAAAY to stressful on me trying to plan a DW for that many people in Maui that wasn't going to cost us an arm and a leg. So we moved it to Rivera Maya but because we decided just this month we now have to find a resort with an evening date on 05.31 or 06.01 available. I'm hoping the NOW resorts but they're pretty books so it might be the Dreams Tulum. At this point I don't really care. Just as long as I can have my sunset pictures.

 

 

 

LCB803- So are you having a tough time wither to do an AHR or not or how far apart to space the DW and the AHR?

Yea I think it will all work out fine :) . Sounds like you have been busy/stressed, but I am sure you will be able to find a resort you love with those dates available! Dreams Tulum was in our top 3 resorts, it is beautiful! In the end we chose Barcelo because they have three different resorts in one and wanted to offer the different price options for the guests.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

×