Jump to content

Photo

Any other 2014 brides here getting an early start?


  • Please log in to reply
5676 replies to this topic

#2371 moodyc82

moodyc82
  • Member
  • 614 posts
  • Wedding Date:June 16, 2014
  • Wedding Location:Punta Cana, DR
  • LocationNJ

Posted 24 July 2013 - 11:02 AM

Originally Posted by DeeP10 

Speaking of engagement parties.

I have a ??

Is everyone having one or has had one already?

Everyone keeps asking me. When's the engagement party ? and I keep thinking when the hell are you throwing me one. WTH? Did everyone pay for their own engagement party on top of the wedding? It seems one of my already married with 10 kids that I have to buy gifts for every Xmas and birthday should be volunteering. Heheheheh. Or am I off here?

Who generally hosts this shindig ?

Generally the parents of the bride do....and if they can't afford/do anything than the mother of the bride does or the bridal party. Honestly my mother is dead poor, we have to pay for everything for her to even come to the wedding. So she could not throw us one. His mother finally decided in May she was going to do it....yet planned it for the last weekend in July (we've been engaged since March 16th). So I find it a little late to be doing it in the first place but my MOH lives in FL and is flying up tomorrow for the party so I get 5 whole days with her out of it. But his mother is a pain in the ass. We wanted just to go out to dinner with the bridal party and immediate family.....she picked a banquet hall with a sit down dinner, open bar, and even asked if we should get a DJ?! And is making me do all the centerpieces.....on top of that she invited 52ppl......we're not even having that many at the wedding. AND she's spending $2,000 on the party.....my FI said it would of been nice if she just handed us $2,000 since we have to pay for the entire wedding by ourselves.....



#2372 LukyJ

LukyJ
  • Newbie
  • 24 posts

    Posted 24 July 2013 - 11:03 AM

    I think the parents traditionally host an engagement party, not the couple themselves.  I think it doesn't happen anymore because parents are already paying for the wedding, if that. 

    In that case anyone can host the party so your thought of responding "when are you hosting one?" is right on!  Like most of us you aren't bothered if you don't have one so if no one hosts, it doesn't happen.  Just like you wouldn't host your own wedding shower.



    #2373 shugapop1

    shugapop1
    • Member
    • 868 posts

      Posted 24 July 2013 - 11:03 AM

      Quote:
      Originally Posted by tyrebride2b2013 


      Least you got the ones you wanted. .yes you'll find something at dollar tree always

       

      yep already got in my mind what i'm gonna do with credit. yesterday got some earplugs for mp3/ipod for wedding party. forgot 2 pair so that;s one thing. and sewing kits

      #2374 RaynDrop

      RaynDrop
      • Community Manager
      • 1,277 posts

        Posted 24 July 2013 - 11:04 AM

        Originally Posted by moodyc82 

        Generally the parents of the bride do....and if they can't afford/do anything than the mother of the bride does or the bridal party. Honestly my mother is dead poor, we have to pay for everything for her to even come to the wedding. So she could not throw us one. His mother finally decided in May she was going to do it....yet planned it for the last weekend in July (we've been engaged since March 16th). So I find it a little late to be doing it in the first place but my MOH lives in FL and is flying up tomorrow for the party so I get 5 whole days with her out of it. But his mother is a pain in the ass. We wanted just to go out to dinner with the bridal party and immediate family.....she picked a banquet hall with a sit down dinner, open bar, and even asked if we should get a DJ?! And is making me do all the centerpieces.....on top of that she invited 52ppl......we're not even having that many at the wedding. AND she's spending $2,000 on the party.....my FI said it would of been nice if she just handed us $2,000 since we have to pay for the entire wedding by ourselves.....

        hahahah yeah that is nice of you to do all that .. but I can see where the $2000 would have been better put toward your wedding!


        xoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxo

        #2375 moodyc82

        moodyc82
        • Member
        • 614 posts
        • Wedding Date:June 16, 2014
        • Wedding Location:Punta Cana, DR
        • LocationNJ

        Posted 24 July 2013 - 11:08 AM

        Originally Posted by RaynDrop 

        hahahah yeah that is nice of you to do all that .. but I can see where the $2000 would have been better put toward your wedding!

        Exactly....plus she's being a total drama queen and annoying us about the WHOLE thing...and she invited ppl I wasn't inviting to the wedding and now I have to invite them so I don't look like an ass. AND on top of it all the stupid ppl she told about our wedding if they come will end up costing us $1,300 extra and idk where she thinks that money is coming from cause if she wants them there she's paying the extra $66 for them



        #2376 RaynDrop

        RaynDrop
        • Community Manager
        • 1,277 posts

          Posted 24 July 2013 - 11:19 AM

          Originally Posted by moodyc82 

          Exactly....plus she's being a total drama queen and annoying us about the WHOLE thing...and she invited ppl I wasn't inviting to the wedding and now I have to invite them so I don't look like an ass. AND on top of it all the stupid ppl she told about our wedding if they come will end up costing us $1,300 extra and idk where she thinks that money is coming from cause if she wants them there she's paying the extra $66 for them

           

          Ekkk.... that sucks...   You can't have your FI talk to her about not inviting these people?  


          xoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxo

          #2377 RaynDrop

          RaynDrop
          • Community Manager
          • 1,277 posts

            Posted 24 July 2013 - 11:21 AM

            Originally Posted by LukyJ 

            I think the parents traditionally host an engagement party, not the couple themselves.  I think it doesn't happen anymore because parents are already paying for the wedding, if that. 

            In that case anyone can host the party so your thought of responding "when are you hosting one?" is right on!  Like most of us you aren't bothered if you don't have one so if no one hosts, it doesn't happen.  Just like you wouldn't host your own wedding shower.

             to the group!

             

             

            I see you are still deciding on a location..... do you have an idea where you might pick?


            xoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxo

            #2378 MissJali

            MissJali
            • Member
            • 935 posts

              Posted 24 July 2013 - 11:21 AM

              I did ! I did! I got engaged last April..APril 15, yea I know.... tax day! 

              Lol my dad insisted on an engagement party and we had it at this restaurant/club called 809...yes the area code for DR where we announced the DW. 

               

              We had it July 7, 2012

               

              But shortly before the engagement party, my dad lost his job and my FMIL paid for half the party and between my mom, my dad and I we paid the other half.



              #2379 hclibby1982

              hclibby1982
              • Jr. Member
              • 274 posts

                Posted 24 July 2013 - 11:22 AM

                I'm 34 so I feel u. I'm gonna be honest. Bon bons are not the problem. Lol I get home from work after a crap day of dealing with whiny passengers , their kids, the pilots, my crazy coworkers, delays, all I want to do is down a bottle of wine. Lol. They say a glass is good for you but I like big glasses. LmAo Now with this wedding stress (where the hell is all this money going to come from) I might move on to scotch

                I don't know how you do it, people can be so rude and just ridiculous sometimes! I hear ya on that, I love wine but may need some harder stuff soon too!!! My trainer told me I needed to stop drinking alcohol. I asked if that included wine or just like margaritas and beer, she sail ALL alcohol. I told her I didn't see that happening haha

                #2380 RaynDrop

                RaynDrop
                • Community Manager
                • 1,277 posts

                  Posted 24 July 2013 - 11:25 AM

                  Originally Posted by MissJali 

                  I did ! I did! I got engaged last April..APril 15, yea I know.... tax day! 

                  Lol my dad insisted on an engagement party and we had it at this restaurant/club called 809...yes the area code for DR where we announced the DW. 

                   

                  We had it July 7, 2012

                   

                  But shortly before the engagement party, my dad lost his job and my FMIL paid for half the party and between my mom, my dad and I we paid the other half.

                  hahah that is really cute (the 809 thing) 


                  xoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxo




                  0 user(s) are reading this topic

                  0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users