Photo

DIY Wedding Dress Hanger Tutorial

• Please log in to reply
218 replies to this topic

#31 agm04

agm04
  • 548 posts

Posted 04 September 2012 - 05:41 AM

I haven't started my hangers yet (can't WAIT to dig in to the project tonight!) but I did get the materials.  For anyone wondering/concerned, I bought the 12 gauge aluminum wire as philanab (OP) suggested, and it's a lot easier to work with/bend than I expected.  I'll post pics when I'm done - so glad this thread is here!

#32 Tulumbride2013

Tulumbride2013
    • 670 posts

Posted 08 September 2012 - 01:30 PM

I did my first hanger! Um... no where near as gorgeous as yours, BUT, its a start and if feel like im imroving my skill of bending the wire. Thanks for sharing, these will make great gifts for my ladies:)

#33 philanab

philanab
      • 178 posts

Posted 08 September 2012 - 02:13 PM

I did my first hanger! Um... no where near as gorgeous as yours, BUT, its a start and if feel like im imroving my skill of bending the wire. Thanks for sharing, these will make great gifts for my ladies:) Posted Image

It looks great! I'm sure that "your ladies" will love them and appreciate all the time and effort put into them.

#34 Amers

Amers
        • 46 posts

Posted 08 September 2012 - 07:20 PM

awesome! im going to try these as well!

#35 claire0701

claire0701
          • 187 posts

Posted 09 September 2012 - 04:35 AM

your hangers look amazing, I'm definitely going to try these now! Thanks :)

#36 Speckles121

Speckles121
            • 720 posts

Posted 09 September 2012 - 07:45 AM

Tried to make my first one last night..definately didn't come out as good as I wanted..just ordered more wire to try again..Its definately harder when you have a longer last name!!

#37 agm04

agm04
              • 548 posts

Posted 10 September 2012 - 06:17 AM

I thought the hardest part was making the letters small enough.  That, and my new last name starts with a V, which didn't come out very well. I think I'll go with Bride instead.  My flower girl one turned out pretty good on my 2nd attempt though!  Still haven't posted pictures because they don't have all the finishing touches.

#38 soonCB

soonCB
                • 264 posts

Posted 15 September 2012 - 06:04 PM

How did you make the "t"??? Mine does not look half as good as yours.

Thanks!

Originally Posted by philanab 

So, I finally finished all 7 hangers. It was a fun project so I may continue making them for friend and family bridal showers in the future.

2bmrstremblay, I'm glad you're giving it a try! Make sure to post some pictures of the final product.
                  Here is a close up picture of the letter 'd'

I've run out of wire but I'll show you the steps to make the letter d on an ipod cord.

First wrap the wire around a round object, I used a Lipgloss (which I also used for the other letters requiring circles - a,b,d,e,g,o,p) from back to front.

Then pull the wire upwards

And bend it back down, again from back to front.
                  I'm sorry, I don't know how to make a capital T, the main issue is that the top of the T starts at the top rather than the bottom, making your wire/words lopsided. If you have to use a T, I would suggest using all lower case letters.
                  If you have any more questions please let me know. I hope this helps.

#39 Tulumbride2013

Tulumbride2013
                  • 670 posts

Posted 16 September 2012 - 10:12 AM

soon cb...

i had major trouble with the t. I ruined like four peices of half done wire before i gave up. here is what i came up with. i decided to make a regular L shape and glue the line across it to make the t. it dried quick and i have to say it is pretty sturdy as well. i tested it out on a random scrap wire i had before doing a whole word... its kinda jacked looking but what ev.. im giving it to my mom... thought that counts lol. i used loctite ultra gel control. what do you think?

#40 soonCB

soonCB
                    • 264 posts

Posted 17 September 2012 - 09:56 AM

I think it looks good! I might try to do that. I tried bending the wire a certain way (hard to explain), but I will post it whehn I get home. I almost finished the "mother of the bride" hanger and then I ran out of wire so there is no "e" at the end of "bride". So frustrated, but good thing the wire is pretty cheap. Thanks for the suggestion. I may try that for the "mother of the groom" because I don't really like the "t" I did. Considering, I am not the craftiest person, I sure took on a lot of DIY for this wedding. lol!

Originally Posted by Tulumbride2013 

soon cb...

i had major trouble with the t. I ruined like four peices of half done wire before i gave up. here is what i came up with. i decided to make a regular L shape and glue the line across it to make the t. it dried quick and i have to say it is pretty sturdy as well. i tested it out on a random scrap wire i had before doing a whole word... its kinda jacked looking but what ev.. im giving it to my mom... thought that counts lol. i used loctite ultra gel control. what do you think?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users