DIY Wedding Dress Hanger Tutorial

• Please log in to reply
218 replies to this topic

#1 philanab

• 178 posts

Posted 29 June 2012 - 05:29 PM

Hello ladies, I love the custom wedding dress hangers and considered buying mine from etsy, but couldn't bring myself to pay $20+ knowing I could make it myself for only a few dollars each. A couple ladies asked for instructions on how I made mine, so here it goes, my first tutorial ever... Please let me know if you have any questions. Posted Image What you'll need: Wooden hangers (preferably without the wooden dowel) - bought on sale at Zellers 12 guage aluminum wire - from Michaels in the jewelery section (3 yds is enough to make about 2 - 3 hangers) Wire cutters Lipgloss or something else round Paper and pencil Drill and some sort of glue (not pictured) Decorative flowers - from Michaels, or ribbon Posted Image First I had my fiancĀ© help me pull/break off the wooden dowels from all the hangers Posted Image Then drew a template by tracing the bottom edge of the hangers onto paper and drawing my letters to fit Posted Image Using the template start to shape your letters using your fingers. Make sure you leave enough straight wire at the beginning that the top of your first letter will not touch the bottom edge of the hanger. You may want to have some extra wire on the side to practice with, if you make a mistake on your project it is very hard to unbend and get the wire straight again. Posted Image Use the Lipgloss to wrap the wire around to make circular shapes Posted Image Leave enough straight wire at the end of your word that the top of your last letter does not touch the bottom of your hanger. Next you drill a tiny hole on each end of the inner side of the hanger. Cut the wire so it will fit in the holes and put a tiny bit of wood glue on the tip of the wire before putting it in the drilled hole. Posted Image Add your flower, these ones come with a sticky backing, or tie on a ribbon and voila! You're done, now make one for all the ladies in your wedding party. Posted Image Please let me know if you have any questions, and post pictures of your creations. Have fun!

#2 MissBubbles205

• 1,350 posts

Posted 29 June 2012 - 06:16 PM

Looks AMAZING!!  Thanks for the Tut!.. I can't wait to try it out! :o)

#3 Dazeydawl

• 861 posts

Posted 29 June 2012 - 06:44 PM

my gosh!!! what a great job!!! i would love to try this but im not sure i would be able to make them so pretty..

#4 Lizrmt

• 173 posts

Posted 29 June 2012 - 07:01 PM

So cool! I would never have thought of doing this, but now I'm all over it! Thanks for the great idea!

#5 FireyNurse

• 389 posts

Posted 30 June 2012 - 12:23 PM

Your hangers look fantastic! Great Job! Thanks for posting the tutorial, I was planning on buying one but now that I see this and your end product maybe I'll give the DIY a try!

#6 AllieH

• Resort/Area Ambassadors
            • 2,014 posts
            • Wedding Date:November 5, 2012
            • Wedding Location:El Dorado Royale, Riviera Maya MX
            • LocationAtlanta, GA

Posted 30 June 2012 - 05:05 PM

these look amazing!! you did a great job. thanks for the tut!

Official El Dorado Royale/El Dorado Casitas Royale Thread <---check here for all info about EDR/EDCR

Wright Travel Agency <--for all your Destination Wedding needs! Contact the experts and reduce your stress. 

El Dorado Royale Brides Thread <---come chat with other EDR brides

AllieH's EDR 11-5-2012 Planning Thread <--because it was so awesome

#7 shanandcal

• 103 posts

Posted 03 July 2012 - 06:19 PM

OMG Your hangers are amazing. I am all on this DIY project. Thank you for posting this tutorial!

#8 2bmrstremblay

• 155 posts

Posted 03 July 2012 - 09:36 PM

Love it!

#9 Nino

• 57 posts

Posted 04 July 2012 - 10:02 AM

Great job... love them to bad i alredy got mine..

#10 shan0487

• 1,393 posts
                  • Wedding Date:November 23, 2012
                  • Wedding Location:Sun Palace & Moon Palace- Cancun, MX
                  • LocationSt Louis, MO

Posted 06 July 2012 - 09:50 AM

Awesome tutorial! can't wait to try! How long did it take you to make one?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users