Excellence Riviera Cancun Brides?

Originally Posted by shelleyanderic View Post

My fiance and I are getting married November 15th, 2013 at Excellence Cancun!!! We can't wait!!! I have some questions about the hair salon and make up for the day before and of the wedding. I wanted to know if anyone had advice or if I should bring a picture for the hair stylists there. I wonder if its going to be difficult to request certain hair styles. Hmm...Any advice?

:)

Hi Shellyaneric,

I brought a picture with me together with my hair pin (which I didn't know what exactly to do with it, but it was beautiful). He was able to work around it and I ended up having a beautiful hair!  I loved it! 

post-60941-1386224975_thumb.jpg

post-60941-138622497584_thumb.jpg

Originally Posted by TealMarie View Post

Good to know. 2 minutes sounded long but I thought maybe it was a long hike. I'm going to look into wedding DJ, thanks for that.

Your wedding looks like it was awesome! Thanks for the review, photos and all the specifics, it helps so much. It sounds like there's not much to worry about!

I thought we could only choose one main entree for the meal. I really want to offer two choices. Did you have to pay extra for that?

Hi TealMarie,

I talked to Gloria a month before my wedding and she was able to accommodate two entrees so other people can choose.  The only thing is that you have to know beforehand which guests are getting which meal before you get there at the resort.  It was easy enough for me since I had 30 people.  They were also able to accommodate my guest who has a gluten-free diet.  They're pretty much amazing!

Thanks,

Stella

http://michellechu.com/stella-darron-married-excellence-riviera-cancun/

Originally Posted by Stella Maris View Post

Hi TealMarie,

I talked to Gloria a month before my wedding and she was able to accommodate two entrees so other people can choose.  The only thing is that you have to know beforehand which guests are getting which meal before you get there at the resort.  It was easy enough for me since I had 30 people.  They were also able to accommodate my guest who has a gluten-free diet.  They're pretty much amazing!

Thanks,

Stella

http://michellechu.com/stella-darron-married-excellence-riviera-cancun/

Hi Stella,

Woot! That's great news about the entrees, thanks! We only have 22 guests, so it won't be hard getting people's orders beforehand. 

I have too many Ooohs and Aaahs over your photos (your photographer is amazing). Everything looked so lovely. You looked beautiful. I love your dress and your bouquet (yay succulents!). You just look so happy.

Your hair and makeup look awesome and I see you had your hair down which is what I want to do, so I'm glad to see it worked out for you. And it looks like you had one big long table for the reception - fun! We're thinking of doing that. 

Thanks for sharing your photos!

Just sent all our final details decisions to Gloria (food choices, decor, flowers, music, guests, etc) and got an itemized sheet back from her that shows all the choices and prices for each thing.  It's almost surreal to have all this stuff actually picked out and finalized...I literally just have to wait for the wedding day to come! No more planning! 1 month and 5 days till beach wedded bliss!

I think the final big thing I'm having anxiety about is the ceremony.  We are doing a symbolic ceremony as we are already legally married, but we're wanting some really specific stuff included - things we want including our parents, readings done by my sister (MOH) and the best man...plus some other things.  I wrote out the ceremony scripted how we want it, and Gloria said it would probably be fine but to send the script ahead of time so she can give it to the officiant to practice.  This part is really important to us, so I'm hoping the officiant is cool with what doing our thing.

In terms of deciding between the ocean view or swim up suite, I LOVED having the swim up suite when we vacationed at ERC.  We didn't have to worry about reserving a beach chair next to the pool in the morning, and loved the privacy of hanging out in our little "yard" lol.  The ocean view from the swim up suite, as someone said before, is a bit obstructed by trees, but we were literally not more than 30 yards from the beach/ocean from our swim up section, so that didn't bother me.  I felt like we were ON the beach!  I would highly recommend the swim up, though I totally see how it's a tough decision!

Sorry for the long review but it wanted to put in all of the details… The Excellence Riviera Cancun (ERC) is beyond amazing. Wegot married April 19, 2013 and had 86 guests attend our beach wedding and not a single person had a complaint. In fact people loved the resort so much that they are already planning family trips back there. With a wedding of 86 people I was expecting at least one thing to go wrong and I was very surprised that nothing did. Everyone raved about how wonder the resort and travel company were!. The Ceremony was on the beach, (4:30pm) the cocktail hour on the pier(5:30pm), and the reception (6:30-11:30)pm was also on the beach..all were amazing! 1)On site wedding coordination- Gloria was amazing! I have heard horror stories about other resorts that are hard to work with and nothing goes right, this was the complete opposite. Gloria always emailed me back promptly. she helped me coordinate our flowers, cake, food, DJ, and photo booth. I sent her pictures of what I wanted and she made it happen. Even when what i wanted wasn't offered in their wedding look books, all i had to do is send a picture and it happened. I honestly don't think she knows the word no at all. Gloria made this day and weekend amazing for us. 2)Travel agent- YOU MUST DO THIS!!! It will save your life. with 86 guests you can only imagine how hard it would be. They negotiated a group rate, provided transportation to and from the resort in Cancun and helped with any other needs that came up.  Everything was executed flawlessly and every single guest was happy with them. My Coordinator sent me updates on who has booked as they booked so that I could be kept informed. She also helped negotiate some perks for us once we arrived to the hotel. We received 9 free nights to be used on our room or our guests, a free welcome cocktail hour, free room upgrade, and a few other things. They organized all of the transportation for all of the guests to and from the resort in Cancun (this was amazing! And the guests didnâ€t have to worry about anything when they got there) They helped me greatly when a guest had to cancel a week before the wedding due to a death in the family, and negotiated everything on our behalf. Overall their service was much needed and wonderful. I highly recommend using them. I plan on using them for all of my travel now not just group travel. Their services are free for you as they get paid from the hotels. Itâ€s a no brainer to use them. 3)Food- the food was very good. Much better than most all-inclusive resorts. Many of the wedding guests commented on how great the food was. All of the restaurants were very good and true to their theme. Room service food was also very good. Our actual wedding food was amazing! Actually the best food we had all week. 4)Rooms- the were great! very roomy and sunny. The rooms look exactly like the pictures on-line. Swim out rooms are awesome. The excellence club is also pretty cool as you get access to a private pool, beach and lounge. The lounge has very expensive alcohol you can drink and snacks all day. If you can afford the upgrade its nice but you will be just as happy without it, they treat everyone great there so you don't need to be in the VIP area to be treated like one. One of the reasons we choose this resort was that their basic room was just as nice as the upgraded ones. The only difference was that the upgraded ones have extras like rooftop spas, hammocks, swim out rooms, ect. But all of our guest loved their rooms no matter what category they were in. 5)Beach & Pool- The thing i loved the most about these were the abundant amount of chairs at both. It was very nice not to have to fight for chairs every day! They were also very clean. There is a brick pizza oven at the pool which is kinda fun. also soft serve ice cream yummy! If you want a more fun environment you can go to the main pool where there is live music but if you prefer a quieter time you can hang at one of the other pools where it is very calming and relaxing. I loved the options for our large group and i know the older guests did too. 6)Nighttime shows- the shows were fun and well put together. the outdoor theater was awesome and served as a great meet up spot. it was also a nice place to hang in the shade during the day. The disco is fun, not always packed up a good amount of people in there having a good time and dancing the night away. I had my bacholette party in there. 7)Service- AMAZING! all of the staff is so nice to everyone. The service at the pool and beach is also very good. They must train their people to never say NO and to make it happen because that is the type of service you get from everyone at this resort. I asked for a cheesecake at a place that didn't have it on the menu and their response was do you want it round or square? I had to say I didn't need a whole cheesecake just a slice and of course they brought me one. Honestly who offers to make you an entire cheesecake…The service is impeccable. 8)Spa- The spa is awesome. You must do the water treatment. I did it with my bridesmaids the day of our wedding and it was soooo much fun! There are all sorts of surprises so I wont ruin it for you. We did a wedding package that included ½ massage, snacks and drinks outside in private area, and water treatment. Then we went to lunch and came back for our hair and make up. My hair looked good and was what I asked for. I recommend brining a picture of what you want. They didnâ€t use enough hairspray though so I was trying to fix it all night (well my bridesmaids were trying to fix it for me) As for the makeup I did my own b/c I wanted water proof makeup and my laura mercier makeup never smudges no matter how sweaty I am. side note- have all bridesmaids put their hair up too as they wind will blow it in their hair and the pictures wont turn out as you planned- this was a tip from the photographer and after the fact I am glad we followed his direction. 9)DJ- we used the approved DJ by the hotel (dj mania)- he was amazing!! I ef recommend using him. He had a lighted dancefloor (extra money, but you can choose the size) and it was awesome! He played all of the songs we asked for and non of the ones we didnâ€t want. He gaged the music towards the guests and people were dancing the entire night. In fact we had to be kicked off at 11:30 because we were having so much fun no one wanted to leave. At one point I looked out and 80 of the 86 guest were dancing. Now thatâ€s a sign of a good DJ if you ask me. 10)photography- We used Claudia Photography it was $500 extra to bring them in but well worth it. They were great and even stayed a little extra to take pictures of the surprise dance my husband and groomsmen did for me. As for the hotel photographers We used the 25 free photos that came with the Gold package during our welcome cocktail hour. These were the hotel photographers and they were ok. The posed pictures were good but the rest were not. So I would not recommend using them. Its is worth paying extra for another photographer. 11)Photo booth- love booth weddings- sooo much fun! Highly recommend if your budget allows. We used the photos for our guest book and ahd guests write something by their pictures. There were 2 prints so people could also keep a copy. This was approved my ERC so you didnâ€t have to pay any extra to bring them on sight. 12) Out of town bags- I had them delivered to all of the rooms as the guests arrived. With so many guests arriving ½ came on wed and the other ½ came on Thursday, so it was nice they delivered them. We brought all of the stuff in an extra suitcase and then put them together when we got there and gave them to Gloria to deliver. Some of the things we put into the bags were… Wedding day survival kits (wisks, mints, bobbypins, chapstick, nail files, lotion, hand sanitizer); cups (plastic tumblers, with our wedding logo imprinted on them, discountmugs did them); photo booth photo holders (we had a photobooth at the reception); do not disturb door hangers (I made them); beach bracelets. For the actual bags I just used gift bags except for the bridesmaids and mothers I had canvas bags with their names on them from exclusivelyweddings. We had gym draw bags made for the groomsmen and also gave them cufflinks. 13)Reception decorations- ERC provided the chairs with covers, napkins, table clothes all white..very standard. We brought our own menus that I made to match our theme and my mom made coral napkin rings so they put all of that on the table for us. Also we brought chair sashes as they didnâ€t have the color I wanted. We also brought Christmas lights and chinese lanterns to hang above the area to give it a roof look. I highly recommend this as it really competed the area and looks great in pictures. (they have some to rent if you donâ€t want to bring your own). We had a just married sign that my mom made to hang on our chairs (we left it there for other brides so hopefully you get it if you want it on your chairs) It whole thing was on the beach and so much fun! It felt like we were in a private area and we never saw any other hotel guests. So that was really nice. 14)Flowers- I sent a picture in of what I wanted for the boquets and center pieces, they all looked great. They did add a little purple in which I could have done without but thatâ€s ok. I asked for white and coral flowers which they did but added a little purple. So be specific if thatâ€s important to you. Over all I think it still looked great and I wasnâ€t going to let that ruin my day. 15)Food- ask Gloria for the menu, but all was very good!. We had 3 options for the guests, sea bass, chicken roulade, beef tenderloin. All guests said it was the best food they had all week. You have to turn in the guest choices about a month before you arrive. 16)Cake- we didnâ€t care too much about it so we just told her what we wanted, white with flowers, and thatâ€s how it turned out. It looked great! I brought my own cake topper (starfish) and they put that on. We actually had cheesecake as we donâ€t like real cake. They had lots of options though. 17)Ceremony- they provided speakers and mic for the minister, (we brought our own that we grew up with) and signed the legal stuff after with the judge. Its so beautiful you donâ€t need a lot of extras. We had 4 flower settings some memorial candles and the basic aisle with shells. We also hung starfish on the aisle chairs. Looked very beautiful. You donâ€t need alof of extras here. We also brought our own hand made programs (fan programs) that gloria gave us a basket to put them in. As far as music, they will help you if you have playlist on your iphone set up. They have the house DJ come with the speakers and mic and play the music for you. I had my friend do it just because he know how but he worked with the house DJ. 18)Cocktail hour during wedding- we did this on the pier and it was great. There was a mariachi band (came with package) and food and drinks. They used the straws and umbrellas I brought for welcome cocktails. 19)Welcome Cocktail hour- Did this at the x-lounge it was nice and in a center area for people to meet. They also used the straws and umbrellas I brought for welcome cocktails. Overall I would highly recommend this resort for your wedding! Gloria will make it perfect so you can relax. There is something for everyone there. You will not be disappointed. 400400

Sorry for the delay I guess since I talked about my ta they blocked me. ... But to answer your questions I did all white for my my bouquet. Also for the OOT bags we brought everything in an extra suitcase and printed out our wedding confirmation to show customs if needed. (Didn't need tho) we also had family being stuff and they brought the same confirmation. We didn't declare because it was under $10,000. They are used to weddings so I wouldn't worry too much. Also, they supply the toasting glasses and knifes. I wouldn't recommend brining your as it goes so quick anyway and it's just another thing you have to deal with when traveling. I did make my own cake topper tho. And brought that down. 400 We bought our groomsmen, ingraved flasks, draw sting bags with their names on them, and cuff links. We got all of our guests wedding tumblers 400 Braclets and plastic photo holders for the photo booth strips. We also have them do not disturb signs for their doors and wedding survival kits. Hope this helps.

Wow! Thanks Carolyn! Your wedding was beautiful! I'm wanting to do something similar with flowers- mostly white with pops of coral, pink and orange. My bridesmaids are wearing turquoise. What did you do for your bouquet?  Also, when you brought all that stuff into Mexico (as I plan to), did you have to declare the wedding items & gifts as 'goods'? I was trying to determine if we'd be taxed on all the stuff we're taking down there. Everyone- are you taking your own toasting glasses/knife/set thing down there? Or do they give you one? For the OOT bag, I am thinking of getting all the ladies a floral light weight kimono style robe, really cute ones on etsy. I can't figure out what to get for the men. Any ideas? I'm on my two month count down starting tomorrow!!! Heading to my bachelorette weekend tomorrow morning!! Very Excited!

Hi Shellyaneric, I brought a picture with me together with my hair pin (which I didn't know what exactly to do with it, but it was beautiful). He was able to work around it and I ended up having a beautiful hair!  I loved it!  [ATTACHMENT=13806]stella_getting_ready-121.jpg (1,487k. jpg file)[/ATTACHMENT] [ATTACHMENT=13807]stella_getting_ready-63.jpg (1,957k. jpg file)[/ATTACHMENT]
They did a good job with mine too but in hind sight I would have put WAY WAY more hairspray in. Bring your own and load it up. They didn't really put any in and after an hour of wind my bridesmaids had to helpme re-pin. You can kind of see the loose hairs on my shoulders in the pics below that I posted.

Good to know. 2 minutes sounded long but I thought maybe it was a long hike. I'm going to look into wedding DJ, thanks for that. Your wedding looks like it was awesome! Thanks for the review, photos and all the specifics, it helps so much. It sounds like there's not much to worry about! I thought we could only choose one main entree for the meal. I really want to offer two choices. Did you have to pay extra for that?
No we didn't have to pay for it. She actually let us have 4 entrees to have guests pic from. We ended up using 3 as the 4th was vegetarian and no one picked it. I think partly due to our group size was why she allowed 3 but I could be wrong. We did have to have the number of people choosing each sent to her about a month prior and we used shell name card holders with names and food choices on them so that the severs knew who ordered what. We didn't do assign seats just ahad a table where people picked theirs up and put it at their seats. We had round tables that seat 8 except for the bridal party table it was a long rectangle table that sat 18 (wedding party and their guests) I'm not into separating people from their dates. 400