I just got the bottles for my message in a bottle invitations. I am so excited!

however, I went to 2 different Micheals' stores and couldn't find sand and shells (they only had really big shells...maybe they were just out of small ones). Anyone have any website suggestions of where I could get this stuff?

The sad part is I live in Southern CA....miles and miles of beach and I just don't have time to search for shells. I wish I did because that would be so much more fun. monkey.gif

i got the sand at michaels, but they have it at walmart too...we got some shells at michaels but a majorite came from the website above...we also ordered our bottles from them and they were super fast!

I got my sand at Michaels (it is actually in the floral section) and I got small shells that would go in the bottles at A.C. Moore, do you have one of those near you?

I am so torn between these and the boarding passes. I already have my boarding passes created, but I hate having to cut them out! And I love this idea! Humpf. The price seems pretty good also. For those that did this, what did your insert (invitation) look like? Since you have seen them, will they be messy for people to open? I would hate to choose this and then have everyone annoyed at spilling sand everywhere...

Quote:
Originally Posted by carlymcmullen View Post
I am so torn between these and the boarding passes. I already have my boarding passes created, but I hate having to cut them out! And I love this idea! Humpf. The price seems pretty good also. For those that did this, what did your insert (invitation) look like? Since you have seen them, will they be messy for people to open? I would hate to choose this and then have everyone annoyed at spilling sand everywhere...
i'll have to take pics of mine tonight, the inside is all done. i dont think they'll be messy; we have an extra long piece of raffia sticking out of the bottle so ppl can just pull the invite out, rather than having to stick their fingers in the bottle. they were relatively cheap to make - the shipping will the $$ part, but that's b/c we used glass bottles rather than plastic.

I am serioulsy considering doing them, but I have about 140 to do, so I am worried about the shipping. Can anyone tell me how much each one was? And whether you used glass or plastic? I wanted to use glass. I wonder how much the shipping difference is...

I am using glass, but I am only inviting about 6 people. You have to pack the glass bottles in boxes. The plastic ones can be mailed without boxes. I ordered a sample from messageinabottle.com and it comes in the mail as is. Those are probably easier and cheaper to mail for a big guest list.

I decided on glass because I wanted bigger bottles than was available in plastic.