Photo

Shipping wedding favors to Cancun- horror stories

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Kaye33

Kaye33
  • 4 posts

Posted 04 August 2011 - 09:22 AM

I was just doing some research and stumbled across some troubling news about shipping wedding favors to Mexico.  Apparently they will confiscate packages with products from China.  

Have any of you shipped wedding favors to your destination in Cancun?  Did you experience any problems?  What service did you use?  

Did any of you just put favors in your suitcases or carry-ons?  Mine are breakable and I'm afraid to do that.

Any information you can provide would be very helpful! 

#2 IvanLuckiePhotography

IvanLuckiePhotography
    • Vendor
    • 183 posts

Posted 04 August 2011 - 04:37 PM

Kaye, if you send any package that it is not carried out by you, will go through customs, as CHina goods are restricted in Mexico if you want to cross them to Mexico it will cost you up to 500% their cost, I recommend you to take them with you and try to flight with as many people family, friends, relatives as possible in the same plane/flight, because you can bring to Mexico $300USD in goods per person, you you will have to count the people and sum the amount, but be careful if the things your guest bring with them are not included in the "franchise" (this is the name of the documents that says what you can and can not bring toMexico without paying or paying)

split the package in small packages so the guest can have one in the time they go through customs.

at the end she they know you will have your wedding here they may made an exception.

#3 TropicLover

TropicLover
      • 293 posts

Posted 04 August 2011 - 06:17 PM

Oh wow, I never really thought of that.  Ivan you make a good point!  So is it really only $300 per person?  Does that mean you need to split up your items between guests?  Or can you have it all in one suitcase and then tell them how many people are in your party.

Does anyone know how it works for guests traveling out of a different location than the bride?  My mom is in Toronto and she'll most likely bring wedding items as well.  Since she's not the bride will she have any trouble?

#4 IvanLuckiePhotography

IvanLuckiePhotography
        • Vendor
        • 183 posts

Posted 05 August 2011 - 10:21 AM

yes 300USD per person, so you need slip up your items within your guest.

Good luck!

Ivan

http://www.luckiephotography.com

#5 passionsarcasm

passionsarcasm
          • 206 posts

Posted 06 August 2011 - 03:43 AM

Ooo thanks for posting Ivan...good to know!

Originally Posted by Ivan Luckie 

Kaye, if you send any package that it is not carried out by you, will go through customs, as CHina goods are restricted in Mexico if you want to cross them to Mexico it will cost you up to 500% their cost, I recommend you to take them with you and try to flight with as many people family, friends, relatives as possible in the same plane/flight, because you can bring to Mexico $300USD in goods per person, you you will have to count the people and sum the amount, but be careful if the things your guest bring with them are not included in the "franchise" (this is the name of the documents that says what you can and can not bring toMexico without paying or paying)

split the package in small packages so the guest can have one in the time they go through customs.

at the end she they know you will have your wedding here they may made an exception.

#6 Kaye33

Kaye33
            • 4 posts

Posted 06 August 2011 - 08:28 AM

Thanks, Ivan!

Luckily I'm using products made in the US, but I will be sure to bring my invoice so I can show the real value (which is only $100).  Your information was very helpful.  Gracias.

#7 JaziandSwag

JaziandSwag
              • 152 posts

Posted 24 December 2011 - 07:10 AM

Oh wow!  Def good to know!  I would be crying if my items were confiscated! 

#8 Julietisurs

Julietisurs
                • 261 posts

Posted 20 January 2012 - 09:12 AM

Thanks for the Info!

Originally Posted by Ivan Luckie 

#9 Smitten

Smitten
                  • 153 posts

Posted 21 January 2012 - 03:57 AM

Wow....great info.  I was planning on shipping a great portion of my decorations, but I will def reconsider now.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users