Jump to content

Photo

Trash the Dress....yes or no???


  • Please log in to reply
434 replies to this topic

#331 cerise

cerise
  • Newbie
  • 44 posts

    Posted 05 February 2013 - 03:17 AM

    Amazing pictures!

     

    I also thought of this (don't think I will need the dress again - fingers crossed). So does anyone know how much this usually costs? 10% extra of the normal photographer fee or 50% or 100%? Just to have an idea. Thank you.



    #332 Peach

    Peach
    • Sr. Member
    • 1,293 posts

      Posted 05 February 2013 - 05:00 AM

      Originally Posted by cerise 

      Amazing pictures!

       

      I also thought of this (don't think I will need the dress again - fingers crossed). So does anyone know how much this usually costs? 10% extra of the normal photographer fee or 50% or 100%? Just to have an idea. Thank you.

      TOTALLY depends on your photographer. A lot of DW photographers are used to it; many even have a package where it is one of the "extras" included. Hope that helps.



      #333 mlklee2013

      mlklee2013
      • Newbie
      • 9 posts

        Posted 08 February 2013 - 08:52 PM

        Hi ladies, I have been thinking about trash the dress and have been on the fence. Glad to see I am not the only one. It's hard after spending a lot of money on a dress and ruining it. I asked a lot ladies what they did with their dress and they said it just sits on hanger in the closest. One said they donated it so someone else can use it. Another wants to give it to their daughter, but if you think about it, your body is different from anyone else and it has been tailored to you. So who can really fit in it and look as good as you? So why not get great photos with the dress and you can include your husband in the fun too and have great photos to share in the years to come. I'm getting married in the Riviera Maya and they have cenotes where you can only find there or Yellowstone. Some of the cenotes have Crystal clear water from the rain, no salt water, I would use those ones and let your photographer know. They make it an experience for you pick you up from your hotel. Prices vary between $1000-$1500+ depending on the hours. 3 hrs is about $1000 and then some take additional pictures on the beach or do underwater videograpghy which is cool looking that no one else will have because you did a destination wedding. If you think about it, it's like engagement photos which is about $500-$700, but with water. I think it's worth a try. If you are sentimental then it may not be your cup of tea, is what I heard. I think I'm going to do it!!!

        #334 Peach

        Peach
        • Sr. Member
        • 1,293 posts

          Posted 09 February 2013 - 10:28 AM

          Originally Posted by mlklee2013 

          Hi ladies,
          I have been thinking about trash the dress and have been on the fence. Glad to see I am not the only one. It's hard after spending a lot of money on a dress and ruining it. I asked a lot ladies what they did with their dress and they said it just sits on hanger in the closest. One said they donated it so someone else can use it. Another wants to give it to their daughter, but if you think about it, your body is different from anyone else and it has been tailored to you. So who can really fit in it and look as good as you? So why not get great photos with the dress and you can include your husband in the fun too and have great photos to share in the years to come. I'm getting married in the Riviera Maya and they have cenotes where you can only find there or Yellowstone. Some of the cenotes have Crystal clear water from the rain, no salt water, I would use those ones and let your photographer know. They make it an experience for you pick you up from your hotel. Prices vary between $1000-$1500+ depending on the hours. 3 hrs is about $1000 and then some take additional pictures on the beach or do underwater videograpghy which is cool looking that no one else will have because you did a destination wedding. If you think about it, it's like engagement photos which is about $500-$700, but with water. I think it's worth a try. If you are sentimental then it may not be your cup of tea, is what I heard. I think I'm going to do it!!!

           

          Besides that, very few dresses actually are "ruined", from what I understand. 

           

          Or am I wrong in this?



          #335 RNtoBe

          RNtoBe
          • Jr. Member
          • 255 posts

            Posted 09 February 2013 - 10:45 AM

            Originally Posted by Peach 

             

            Besides that, very few dresses actually are "ruined", from what I understand. 

             

            Or am I wrong in this?


            I've never heard of dresses being ruined, but it will need to be dry cleaned to get the sand out for sure. The way I look at it, what are you going to do with your dress after the fact, you're never going to wear it again- might as well trash it. lol



            #336 Peach

            Peach
            • Sr. Member
            • 1,293 posts

              Posted 09 February 2013 - 11:32 AM

              Originally Posted by RNtoBe 


              I've never heard of dresses being ruined, but it will need to be dry cleaned to get the sand out for sure. The way I look at it, what are you going to do with your dress after the fact, you're never going to wear it again- might as well trash it. lol

               

              My plan is to "trash it", rinse it out really well in the shower at the resort, and wear it again for my AHR a month later. 

              I am just wondering if I will need to dry clean it before and after the AHR or just after.



              #337 STBEngelquist

              STBEngelquist
              • Jr. Member
              • 155 posts

                Posted 10 February 2013 - 08:30 AM

                quite a great Idea....rinse it out...it also depends on what the dress is made out of.  Some material will hold up better then others!



                #338 sgreen99

                sgreen99
                • Site Supporter
                • 187 posts

                  Posted 10 February 2013 - 08:38 AM

                  I just returned from my wedding, and all I can say it - DO IT!!  First of all, it's not really "trash", my photographer uses the term "rock the dress" so people aren't as afraid of it.  It was so amazing to put that dress on just ONE MORE TIME, the day flew by so quickly!  And, it gives you another chance for some amazing photos of just the two of you, we were on a pretty tight schedule on our day with sunset so early, I'm so thankful for the extra shots.  Do it ladies, you will not regret it! :)

                  Sidenote - my dress came out CLEANER after swishing in the ocean, the bottom was black from the reception and now it's pretty clean. I rinsed off in the pool and then sat it on our balcony for the day to dry. Once it was dry and shook that sand out and voila - clean as a whistle!

                   

                  Here's a couple of peeks my photog has given

                   

                  *

                  *



                  #339 Peach

                  Peach
                  • Sr. Member
                  • 1,293 posts

                    Posted 10 February 2013 - 08:56 AM

                    Originally Posted by sgreen99 

                    I just returned from my wedding, and all I can say it - DO IT!!  First of all, it's not really "trash", my photographer uses the term "rock the dress" so people aren't as afraid of it.  It was so amazing to put that dress on just ONE MORE TIME, the day flew by so quickly!  And, it gives you another chance for some amazing photos of just the two of you, we were on a pretty tight schedule on our day with sunset so early, I'm so thankful for the extra shots.  Do it ladies, you will not regret it! :)

                    Sidenote - my dress came out CLEANER after swishing in the ocean, the bottom was black from the reception and now it's pretty clean. I rinsed off in the pool and then sat it on our balcony for the day to dry. Once it was dry and shook that sand out and voila - clean as a whistle!

                     

                    Here's a couple of peeks my photog has given

                     

                    *

                    *

                     

                    Thank you for sharing! Your pics look lovely! Would love to see more... I love your resort! :)



                    #340 sgreen99

                    sgreen99
                    • Site Supporter
                    • 187 posts

                      Posted 10 February 2013 - 09:49 AM

                      Hey Peach, check my siggy, I posed links to my photog's blog posts from our day ;)




                      0 user(s) are reading this topic

                      0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users