Photo

New to the whole Destination Wedding concept!

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 viajerajulie

viajerajulie
  • 18 posts

Posted 16 June 2011 - 07:30 PM

Hi all!

My name is Julie and I'm so glad I came across this website! I'm excited to be here! A little background on my hubby and I:

We met in 2006. I'm a Spanish teacher and he's from Mexico, so it was like fate! We dated for about 2 years before he popped the question. We planned a big, traditional wedding here in Baltimore and then (for a variety of reasons) things fell through. We knew we wanted to be married though, so we did a very small courthouse ceremony and promised ourselves that we'd have a church (Catholic) wedding at a later date. We have since planned an canceled a second church wedding here, this time due to finances. Times are tough! And so now, we are looking at the possibility of doing a destination wedding in Cancun as a middle ground for both families. His family wasn't able to attend the civil wedding, so I'm hoping he can get a good group of family and friends to come to this one.

So far, I am absolutely in love with the Lady of Guadalupe Chapel at the Real Gran Caribe. That's my first choice. I'm not expecting us to have a huge turnout for the wedding, since it's destination...so I'm not planning a 'reception', so to speak...more like a dinner. We can do our dancing in the clubs that night! And we will likely have a big party back here to celebrate as well!

So excited to be here and learn from you destination brides! Any advice is absolutely welcome, as I'm a true newbie to this concept!!

#2 lololola

lololola
    • 156 posts

Posted 22 June 2011 - 02:08 PM

Welcome Julie, and congratulations! Destination weddings were completely foreign to me also, but this board and its members are fantastic and soo helpful. Happy planning!

#3 Essential0929

Essential0929
      • 236 posts

Posted 22 June 2011 - 03:15 PM

Congratulations and welcome!! All of the brides here are friendly and so helpful.

Happy Planning!

#4 JQLong

JQLong
        • 336 posts

Posted 22 June 2011 - 03:36 PM

You have joined the right site!  Good luck and happy planning!

So Amazing......July 4, 2012!!!!!!

#5 Moments That Matter

Moments That Matter

Diamond Vendor

• Insiders
          • 3,074 posts

Posted 22 June 2011 - 03:58 PM

Congratulations Julie and welcome to the forums! They are chalked full of great information and helpful brides... so you shouldn't have any trouble finding out everything you need to plan your wedding.

Wish you the best of luck and keep smilin!

MTM%20Logo%202016_zps4tzm05my.png

Moments That Matter Photography , Cancun, Playa del Carmen, Mexico

Canadian Award Winning Photojournalist serving the Riviera Maya

Email: contact@momentsthatmatterphotography.com

Why we're Ranked #1 ~ Scoop on what we do:  MTM Reviews

Meet Lincoln & Team MTM: "Meet Lincoln" Video + see his Passion!!!

We Offer: 100% Vendor Fee Discount
                                100% Deposit Guarantee

100% Satisfaction Guarantee

#6 JayKay

JayKay
            • 3,472 posts
            • Wedding Date:January 13, 2012
            • Wedding Location:Gran Bahia Principe Runaway Bay Jamaica
            • LocationSouthern Alberta

Posted 22 June 2011 - 05:16 PM

Welcome!  Congrats on finally deciding on a destination wedding!! 

We aren't doing a traditional reception thing either, just more of a dinner that is provided and then go dancing and party either on the beach or at the disco.

I found that picking the location was the hardest part, and once we had picked it we still had second thoughts.  Now, we are extremely excited and happy the resort we chose.  Go with what feels right!  Happy planning:)

Originally Posted by viajerajulie 

Hi all!

My name is Julie and I'm so glad I came across this website! I'm excited to be here! A little background on my hubby and I:

We met in 2006. I'm a Spanish teacher and he's from Mexico, so it was like fate! We dated for about 2 years before he popped the question. We planned a big, traditional wedding here in Baltimore and then (for a variety of reasons) things fell through. We knew we wanted to be married though, so we did a very small courthouse ceremony and promised ourselves that we'd have a church (Catholic) wedding at a later date. We have since planned an canceled a second church wedding here, this time due to finances. Times are tough! And so now, we are looking at the possibility of doing a destination wedding in Cancun as a middle ground for both families. His family wasn't able to attend the civil wedding, so I'm hoping he can get a good group of family and friends to come to this one.

So far, I am absolutely in love with the Lady of Guadalupe Chapel at the Real Gran Caribe. That's my first choice. I'm not expecting us to have a huge turnout for the wedding, since it's destination...so I'm not planning a 'reception', so to speak...more like a dinner. We can do our dancing in the clubs that night! And we will likely have a big party back here to celebrate as well!

So excited to be here and learn from you destination brides! Any advice is absolutely welcome, as I'm a true newbie to this concept!!

#7 LandG

LandG
            • 152 posts

Posted 23 June 2011 - 04:23 PM

Congrats!

#8 anichols8

anichols8
              • 232 posts

Posted 23 June 2011 - 04:25 PM

Congrats and Happy Planning!

#9 GVphotographer

GVphotographer
                • 2,667 posts
                • Wedding Date:January 23, 2016
                • Wedding Location:Puerto Los CAbos

Posted 24 June 2011 - 01:28 PM

Hi Julie,
                Welcome to this great forum, here you´ll find the information you are looking for. Congratulations on your wedding!!

#10 SweetFire

SweetFire
                • Vendor
                • 330 posts

Posted 27 June 2011 - 07:49 AM

Hi there,

A destination wedding sounds like a very nice alternative in your situation.  The forum has a wealth of ideas, reviews and photos to help you with your decision.   

The best of luck and warmest wishes,

Lori

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users