Sign in to follow this  
foxytv

Good Reggae Suggestions?

Looking for some good reggae tunes to add to our reception and cocktail hour playlists. We're going to play lots of reggae and older beach (shag) style music ... but I'm not up on the good reggae/beachy tunes.

Since you're playing shag type beach music I would say to stick to roots/dancehall reggae. Bob Marley of course, I recommend the "Exodus" and "Kaya" albums. "Legend" has most of the Marley hits everyone knows. Check out Steel Pulse, Jimmy Cliff, Bunny Wailer, Peter Tosh, Shabba Ranks, Luciano.

If you want to throw something more modern/upbeat in look into Damian or Ziggy Marley, Sean Paul, Sizzla, Elephant Man, Beenie Man, even Matisyahu.

I say buy some albums or download some songs to see what you like. I have tons of reggae and would be happy to send you some samples if you want to try before you buy :o)

Quote:
Originally Posted by starchild View Post
Since you're playing shag type beach music I would say to stick to roots/dancehall reggae. Bob Marley of course, I recommend the "Exodus" and "Kaya" albums. "Legend" has most of the Marley hits everyone knows. Check out Steel Pulse, Jimmy Cliff, Bunny Wailer, Peter Tosh, Shabba Ranks, Luciano.

If you want to throw something more modern/upbeat in look into Damian or Ziggy Marley, Sean Paul, Sizzla, Elephant Man, Beenie Man, even Matisyahu.

I say buy some albums or download some songs to see what you like. I have tons of reggae and would be happy to send you some samples if you want to try before you buy :o)
I'm downloading from Limewire, b just typing in "reggae' so I don't really know what I'm getting. Thanks for the artist names. That will help a lot to narrow down searches and then weed through their songs!

Quote:
Originally Posted by lambert13 View Post
For some upbeat vintage style stuff you might want to check out some stuff by...

Desmond Dekker
The Skatelites
Toots & the Maytals
awesome! Thanks so much!

Quote:
Originally Posted by starchild View Post
Ahh a fellow reggae fan....nice selections Jason ;o)
Gracias Starchild. Definitely a reggae fan, but old ska and dancehall are my favorites.

here in the city we have vendors who sell cds of dance hall. Now are you talking club dance hall where it can get a little wild. Shaggy or conservative dance hall. I am a lover of reggae so let me know what exactly you are talking and I will see if I can dig something up.

can anyone tell me how to send music via internet? So I can send you a sample