Good Reggae Suggestions?

• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#1 foxytv

foxytv
  • VIP Member
  • 7,740 posts

Posted 19 August 2007 - 09:52 PM

Looking for some good reggae tunes to add to our reception and cocktail hour playlists. We're going to play lots of reggae and older beach (shag) style music ... but I'm not up on the good reggae/beachy tunes.

#2 starchild

starchild

• Moderators
    • 26,161 posts

Posted 20 August 2007 - 12:08 AM

Since you're playing shag type beach music I would say to stick to roots/dancehall reggae. Bob Marley of course, I recommend the "Exodus" and "Kaya" albums. "Legend" has most of the Marley hits everyone knows. Check out Steel Pulse, Jimmy Cliff, Bunny Wailer, Peter Tosh, Shabba Ranks, Luciano.

If you want to throw something more modern/upbeat in look into Damian or Ziggy Marley, Sean Paul, Sizzla, Elephant Man, Beenie Man, even Matisyahu.

I say buy some albums or download some songs to see what you like. I have tons of reggae and would be happy to send you some samples if you want to try before you buy :o)

#3 foxytv

foxytv
      • VIP Member
      • 7,740 posts

Posted 20 August 2007 - 09:30 AM

Quote:
        Originally Posted by starchild
        Since you're playing shag type beach music I would say to stick to roots/dancehall reggae. Bob Marley of course, I recommend the "Exodus" and "Kaya" albums. "Legend" has most of the Marley hits everyone knows. Check out Steel Pulse, Jimmy Cliff, Bunny Wailer, Peter Tosh, Shabba Ranks, Luciano.

If you want to throw something more modern/upbeat in look into Damian or Ziggy Marley, Sean Paul, Sizzla, Elephant Man, Beenie Man, even Matisyahu.

I say buy some albums or download some songs to see what you like. I have tons of reggae and would be happy to send you some samples if you want to try before you buy :o)
        I'm downloading from Limewire, b just typing in "reggae' so I don't really know what I'm getting. Thanks for the artist names. That will help a lot to narrow down searches and then weed through their songs!

#4 lambert13

lambert13
        • 901 posts

Posted 20 August 2007 - 09:47 AM

For some upbeat vintage style stuff you might want to check out some stuff by...

Desmond Dekker
          The Skatelites
          Toots & the Maytals

#5 starchild

starchild

• Moderators
          • 26,161 posts

Posted 20 August 2007 - 09:48 AM

Ahh a fellow reggae fan....nice selections Jason ;o)

#6 foxytv

foxytv
            • VIP Member
            • 7,740 posts

Posted 20 August 2007 - 10:13 AM

Quote:
              Originally Posted by lambert13
              For some upbeat vintage style stuff you might want to check out some stuff by...

Desmond Dekker
              The Skatelites
              Toots & the Maytals
              awesome! Thanks so much!

#7 lambert13

lambert13
              • 901 posts

Posted 20 August 2007 - 10:23 AM

Quote:
                Originally Posted by starchild
                Ahh a fellow reggae fan....nice selections Jason ;o)
                Gracias Starchild. Definitely a reggae fan, but old ska and dancehall are my favorites.

#8 nabilahaq

nabilahaq
                • 28 posts

Posted 06 September 2007 - 12:25 PM

Barrington Levy is a reggae must! He has tons of popular reggae hits.

#9 LadyP

LadyP
                  • 3,156 posts

Posted 06 September 2007 - 12:38 PM

here in the city we have vendors who sell cds of dance hall. Now are you talking club dance hall where it can get a little wild. Shaggy or conservative dance hall. I am a lover of reggae so let me know what exactly you are talking and I will see if I can dig something up.

can anyone tell me how to send music via internet? So I can send you a sample

#10 Nrvsbride

Nrvsbride
                    • 5,248 posts

Posted 06 September 2007 - 12:42 PM

OMG I love reggae! And I love dancehall. All the suggestions you were given are great. I used to work for Julian & Damien Marley. Best internship I ever had.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users