Photo

STD in English?

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 royfa

royfa
  • 2,201 posts

Posted 16 August 2007 - 10:23 PM

Is it rude if I send my STD in English (part of it) to my family if most of them are French?

It's kind of hard to translate Save the date in French!

Fannie & Pierre

#2 JaimeLynne

JaimeLynne
    • VIP Member
    • 4,791 posts

Posted 16 August 2007 - 10:42 PM

Could you perhaps put something like "Remember the date" or some other verb that would be easier to translate? Do they not speak English at all? I'm assuming you're fluent in French, but if not I have a friend who is and I'd be glad to ask her...

~ Jaime & Martin ~
      "Rain or Swine! 2-0-0-9"

We had 24 people attend our wedding in Las Caletas, Mexico on May 24th, 2009!

We all stayed at The Marriott in P.V., and Honeymooned at The Royal Plantation in Ochos Rios, Jamaica!

#3 royfa

royfa
      • 2,201 posts

Posted 16 August 2007 - 10:46 PM

I'm French so I can translate but I think it's not as cute as Save the date!

I will maybe say something like reserve the date (in French)...

Fannie
        Fannie & Pierre

#4 calyx6

calyx6
        • 160 posts

Posted 17 August 2007 - 01:21 AM

I thought about translating my STDs in French for my family in France but they all know basic english and it was too much hassle to do an entire set just for them. "Reservez la Date" or "Reservez-nous Cette Date" was the closest translation I could come up with. It just sounds funny because it's not really done. If you and your DH only speak French to your families, it might be seen a little strange to be sending an english STD. Also, will you be doing your invitations in French or English or both?

-Vi-
          Tulum - November 3, 2007

#5 JaimeLynne

JaimeLynne
          • VIP Member
          • 4,791 posts

Posted 17 August 2007 - 01:25 AM

Quote:
            Originally Posted by royfa
            I'm French so I can translate but I think it's not as cute as Save the date!

I will maybe say something like reserve the date (in French)...

Fannie

I think that would work. Obviously there's no literal translation but they should get the point...

~ Jaime & Martin ~
            "Rain or Swine! 2-0-0-9"

We had 24 people attend our wedding in Las Caletas, Mexico on May 24th, 2009!

We all stayed at The Marriott in P.V., and Honeymooned at The Royal Plantation in Ochos Rios, Jamaica!

#6 royfa

royfa
            • 2,201 posts

Posted 17 August 2007 - 09:36 AM

Quote:
              Originally Posted by calyx6
              I thought about translating my STDs in French for my family in France but they all know basic english and it was too much hassle to do an entire set just for them. "Reservez la Date" or "Reservez-nous Cette Date" was the closest translation I could come up with. It just sounds funny because it's not really done. If you and your DH only speak French to your families, it might be seen a little strange to be sending an english STD. Also, will you be doing your invitations in French or English or both?

-Vi-
              I will be doing my invitations in French only! So I guess I will send my STD in Fench too....
              Fannie & Pierre

#7 RaydensMama

RaydensMama
              • VIP Member
              • 2,861 posts

Posted 17 August 2007 - 10:44 AM

I think if they can read english then its totally fine! If not then its kinda rude.

#8 royfa

royfa
                • 2,201 posts

Posted 17 August 2007 - 10:47 AM

Quote:
                  Originally Posted by RaydensMama
                  I think if they can read english then its totally fine! If not then its kinda rude.
                  It's not a problem, they can read English very well!
                  Fannie & Pierre

#9 PaulaV

PaulaV
                  • VIP Member
                  • 2,813 posts

Posted 17 August 2007 - 11:10 AM

I was having the same issues since Save the Date is not easily translated to Spanish and sending one is not common practice in Mexico.

I ended up only sending them in English

#10 royfa

royfa
                    • 2,201 posts

Posted 17 August 2007 - 11:46 AM

Quote:
                      Originally Posted by PaulaV
                      I was having the same issues since Save the Date is not easily translated to Spanish and sending one is not common practice in Mexico.

I ended up only sending them in English
                      It's suck that they don't offer the possibility to translate in other language!
                      Fannie & Pierre

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users