Photo

My Jamaican Themed Engagement Party!

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 QueenDiva

QueenDiva
  • 521 posts

Posted 18 September 2010 - 05:15 AM

Oh we had such a good time! We wanted to get everyone excited about the destination wedding, so we decided to have a Jamaican themed engagement party. FI was great- he built my tiki bar that I just had to have. Last September we used to sit at this Tiki bar by Sun Garden Resort on the beach in Negril & when we decided to have the party, I really wanted this Tiki bar- and he built it in a day! The pics are from my crappy camera phone since someone stole my brand new camera out of the car, but they really don't do any justice. The party was outside in the evening & we had the black tablecloths on the bar w/beautiful candle arrangements in vases & christmas lights on the bar & balcony & tiki torches. We served Jerk Chicken, Jerk Oxtails, Rice & Peas, Cabbage, & Yams...yum! And of course, it took me a month but I finally got the recipe right for Rum Punch! I made 5 gallons & there was not a drop left. Everyone is still talking about it...

#2 QueenDiva

QueenDiva
    • 521 posts

Posted 18 September 2010 - 10:20 PM

Well... we enjoyed ourselves & had the greatest time. Just wanted to let you girls know to have fun with this whole process. Your wedding is all about YOU.

#3 lisa203

lisa203
      • 681 posts

Posted 19 September 2010 - 08:34 AM

Sounds like a good time. Glad everyone had a blast! FI did an awesome job on the tiki bar. Such a nice touch. Sucks about your camera. Hopefully you find a good deal on another in time for your wedding...maybe Black Friday? 

I'd love your punch recipe if you're willing to share =) 

#4 sesker78

sesker78
        • 31 posts

Posted 21 December 2010 - 11:40 AM

Your FI did a great job!  If you get a chance, please post the recipe for your rum punch!

#5 QueenDiva

QueenDiva
          • 521 posts

Posted 21 December 2010 - 03:41 PM

Oh I completely forgot to post the recipe for the rum punch, but I will definitely do it later on. I can still remember the rhyme for it, but have to pull the recipe out later. The rhyme is:

1 Part Sour (lime juice, whiskey sour mix)

2 Parts Sweet (Grenadine- the red syrupy stuff)

3 Parts Strong (Rum)

4 Parts Weak (water)

Yes, actually I found out the hard way that Rum Punch has absolutely no "punch" in it, lol.

#6 lisa203

lisa203
            • 681 posts

Posted 22 December 2010 - 09:18 AM

Yay! Glad you're going to share :)

#7 sunstarsmoon

sunstarsmoon
              • 2,233 posts

Posted 22 December 2010 - 11:50 AM

I am also looking forward to the recipe  would love to make this for my AHR

July 8, 2011, Couples Sans Souci Ocho Rios, Jamaica

#8 sesker78

sesker78
                • 31 posts

Posted 22 December 2010 - 01:05 PM

Wonderful! Can't wait to try this.....

#9 QueenDiva

QueenDiva
                  • 521 posts

Posted 22 December 2010 - 04:54 PM

Ok ladies, this makes 15 cups which is almost a gallon. You can tweek the recipe to make it as strong or weak as you like. You're supposed to use the jamaican rum called Myers & if you want a "kick" to it, the Wray & Nephew overproof rum. However Malibu has an assortment of flavored rums that I liked better so I used those. The rhyme to remember the recipe is:1 Part Sour, 2 Parts Sweet, 3 Parts Strong, 4 Parts Weak. For "sour" I used a mix of Whiskey Sour mix & lime juice- not the Rose's lime, that's too sweet. Use the lime juice that comes in the little lime shaped squeezie thing or the lime juice that comes in a bottle. For the "sweet" use grenadine, which I think is like a strawberry sugar syrup. For the "strong" you can use any rum you like, but I used a mix of the Malibu coconut, passion fruit, mango, & banana rums, and for a little kick I added Bacardi 151. For the "weak", use water. Now because my friends a family don't like a weak drink, I actually did 4 Parts "Strong" for the second recipe listed below.

Jamaican Rum Punch (Regular, makes 15 cups):

3/4 C Whiskey Sour Mix

3/4 C Lime Juice

3 C Grenadine

4-1/2 C Rum (If you're mixing rums, just make sure it adds up to 4-1/2 cups)

6 C Cold Water

Jamaican Rum Punch (Strong Punch, makes 16-1/2 cups):

3/4 C Whiskey Sour Mix

3/4 C Lime Juice

3 C Grenadine

4 C Rum (If you're mixing rums, just make sure it adds up to 4 cups)

2 C Overproof Rum (If you can't find Wray & Nephew, use Bacardi 151)

6 C Cold Water

Just pour everything in a pitcher, and mix. Then pour into gallon sized water jugs if you like, it makes it easier to serve.

#10 BeachBridein11

BeachBridein11
                    • 610 posts

Posted 23 December 2010 - 08:04 AM

Looks awesome!!! Thanks for sharing the Rum Punch receipe!!!!

Married in Paradise!!

June 17th, 2011

Grand Palladium Jamaica Resort & Spa

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users