Photo

Can lace dresses be shortened?

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 mpark46

mpark46
  • 154 posts

Posted 08 August 2007 - 08:40 PM

I saw a really pretty dress on ebay, but it's for someone thats 5'9". Does anyone know if the bottom hems of lace dresses can be shortened? I believe the bottom of the dress is scalloped, so it isn't a strait cut hem.

#2 LCBride2007

LCBride2007

VIP Member

• VIP Member
    • 24,768 posts

Posted 08 August 2007 - 08:53 PM

is there a waistline at all? anywhere? what they'd probably have to do it bring it up there rather than actually shorten it at the bottom. but if it needs to be shortened a lot, it might throw of the line of the dress.

#3 mpark46

mpark46
      • 154 posts

Posted 08 August 2007 - 08:58 PM

Not sure. I asked the seller. Sorry about posting this here....I thought I was in a different section.

#4 jajajaja

jajajaja
        • VIP Member
        • 9,794 posts

Posted 08 August 2007 - 09:04 PM

Click the image to open in full size.
          This is my dress. I'm 5'0 so naturally it has to be altered. This is the first question I asked about every dress I semi-liked. The bottom of the dress usually has a applique that is hand sewn on. They remove it, hem the dress up and reattach the applique. Keep in mind, depending on the dress style you could lose some of the detail on your dress that is not applique or you could have a huge alteration fee if you wanted them to move it.

Do you have a picture of the dress?
          Happily married since 2008

#5 LCBride2007

LCBride2007

VIP Member

• VIP Member
          • 24,768 posts

Posted 08 August 2007 - 09:06 PM

Quote:
            Originally Posted by mpark46
            Not sure. I asked the seller. Sorry about posting this here....I thought I was in a different section.
            i moved it - but i wasn't entirely sure where to put it either!

#6 mpark46

mpark46
            • 154 posts

Posted 08 August 2007 - 09:08 PM

The photos are kind of hard to see, but here is a link to the dress:

Badgley Mischka Lace Wedding Dress lk Monique & Vera - (item 320144123926 end time Aug-10-07 17:13:51 PDT)

I really don't like the shrug, but the dress itself is exactly what I've been looking for...perhaps with the addition of a sash (not sure)

#7 calyx6

calyx6
              • 160 posts

Posted 08 August 2007 - 09:20 PM

A good seamstress can probably do it in a way that no one can tell. They'll cut off the scalloping and reattach it. I don't see why there should be a problem altering that dress, after all it was already altered once for the original owner.

-V-
                Tulum - November 3, 2007

#8 LCBride2007

LCBride2007

VIP Member

• VIP Member
                • 24,768 posts

Posted 08 August 2007 - 09:23 PM

Quote:
                  Originally Posted by calyx6
                  A good seamstress can probably do it in a way that no one can tell. They'll cut off the scalloping and reattach it. I don't see why there should be a problem altering that dress, after all it was already altered once for the original owner.

-V-
                  it may not have been - my dress was such that i had to order it specifically to my height. the only alterations that were made were to bring in the top some so it stayed up!

this dress looks like it would be tough to shorten. that's not to say it couldn't be done - but i would see if i could talk to a experiences seamstress.

#9 Christine

Christine
                  • VIP Member
                  • 21,514 posts
                  • Wedding Date:July 20, 2007
                  • Wedding Location:Napa, California
                  • LocationReno, NV

Posted 08 August 2007 - 09:27 PM

mine had some gathering on the bodice and they were able to hem the underskirt and then just create more gathers to bring the lace part up.
                  Christine + Will (married 7/20/07) + Ainsleigh (born 6/25/08) + Nolan (born 11/9/10) + Delaney (born 12/31/13) = One Very Happy Family!

#10 jajajaja

jajajaja
                  • VIP Member
                  • 9,794 posts

Posted 08 August 2007 - 09:28 PM

Click the image to open in full size.
                    Ok I'm not a seamstress, but I will have a Nancy Drew moment.

This picture looks like you are able to remove the below portion of the lace and shorten the dress and reattach the lace. I looked at this same thing on a TON of dresses because this was a huge concern of mine.

I too was able to order my dress shorter, but they politely said NOT THAT SHORT. I think it may need to be altered a few inches...or I could just wear some heels which I don't really want to do.
                    Happily married since 2008

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users