Family Freaking out- Legal vs Symbolic?

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#11 *tinkertoy*

• 271 posts

Posted 26 July 2010 - 12:37 PM

Thanks everyone...at least I know I'm not going crazy here.

I think we will just go ahead with our plans to go to the JOP the day before we leave for Mexico, not broadcast that the Mexican wedding is "symbolic" but if asked will tell the truth.

It's kind of silly when you think about it, if we were to do it "legal" in Mexico, it wouldn't be legal in the US until we did all the paperwork here anyway, so either way you are "illegal" for a time, so to speak.

Gotta love the family, huh?

Anyway, thanks so much, I feel a lot better after seeing what you all had to say!

#12 jajajaja

• VIP Member
    • 9,794 posts

Posted 26 July 2010 - 12:48 PM

About 95% of the guests that went to our wedding still don't know it wasn't "legal." But honestly, your mom is that upset about a peice of paper? It's not like you guys are having a symbolic wedding with no intent on making it legal. I'd seriously ask her that- so marriage is a peice of paper to you? I'm curious how she'd respond.

ETA- oh and for symbolic weddings you still sign a certificate and have your witnesses sign. No one knows it's not legally binding!
      Happily married since 2008

#13 *tinkertoy*

• 271 posts

Posted 26 July 2010 - 01:14 PM

I'm going to ask that Rachel. See what she says? I mean, how many of us go to weddings at home and never think twice to ask if it's LEGALLY BINDING?

#14 johnnmakenzie11

• 157 posts

Posted 26 July 2010 - 02:33 PM

we are also doing the legal part here before going to Mexico. its just going to be easier and its really about what we want to do, not about everyone else. we arent going to talk about it not being legal, but im not going to lie about it!

#15 jajajaja

• VIP Member
          • 9,794 posts

Posted 26 July 2010 - 03:13 PM

You don't have to lie because who's going to ask? I don't ask my friends after their wedding "sooooooo is it legal?" I did get questions like "how does the legal process in MX work with weddings?" I'd just explain the process- lol.
            Happily married since 2008

#16 *tinkertoy*

• 271 posts

Posted 26 July 2010 - 06:46 PM

Right, I don't think we should lie. Should it come up with my family again I'm just going to outline our reasons and leave it at that.

Thanks ladies & gent!

#17 FutureMrsHolt

• 168 posts

Posted 26 July 2010 - 08:27 PM

Ok I have a question on this, I know we can get our marriage license here but how do we go about not doing vows and stuff and just signing papers. Any help would be awesome!

#18 Tropicalbride01

• 29 posts

Posted 28 July 2010 - 01:19 PM

Thanks for posting thread because i had this on my mind as well and reading every bodies thoughts on it was nice.. In my case i am  thinking about doing it at home first as well for a lot of reasons...I am glad to hear your going to stay strong and do it the way it makes you happy...Hey like my FI says when i say my vowels to you and you to me is when its official and special... I hope you have a great wedding!!!

#19 suzyq22

• 13 posts

Posted 28 August 2011 - 08:45 PM

thanks for starting this thread. my future mother in law had a meltdown about how no one is going to show up cause its not a "real wedding" ..

i dont think she understands that trying to plan a wedding in mexico is quite difficult with the costs of everything. and how you have to be there so long before they will marry you...

maybe we will just say we are doing it legally there to get everyone to shutup. its definitely hurtful..

but ONE QUESTION -- some resorts and their wedding packages say that a priest, ect cost more money then what the actual package of the wedding costs.. is this true with the symbolic wedding package or only with the civil one?? and who does your ceremony if it doesnt cost more money? im lost on that part..

any feed back would be great thanks

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users