Jump to content


ash cloud cancellation

  • Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 pkitch

  • Newbie
  • 29 posts

    Posted 16 May 2010 - 11:15 AM

    We are due to go to the blau varadero on 25th june and get married on the 2nd july,my documents all sorted but the 6 month limit is july 21st-now,if the ash cloud delays us i guess we have to re apply for the translated documents again otherwise we cannot get married!
    Some friends of ours were sat on the plane this morning going to mauritius when it got cancelled and the bride and groom in tears!
    Has anybody here had any similar thing happened annd is it possible to have a back up plan of any kind?

    #2 roo66

    • Sr. Member
    • 1,001 posts

      Posted 16 May 2010 - 11:50 AM

      I have just been talking to my mum about this blimming ash cloud.I dont know if i can ease your fears as i think i will be in the same situation.My mum should be arriving here from Ireland on Wednesday.We are flying out to Greece for a week to check out our wedding venue.Then of course we should be flying out on the 31st of August.
      At the moment its the north of the country thats in trouble.
      However its literally just the wind changing.!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
      Can you imagine being sat on the runway and then the rug being pulled away!!!
      Just to keep myself sane im going to try and not to think about it.
      Can you get some clarification about the paperwork from the travel agent or local office
      We have booked our wedding trip independently so i think we would find ourselves with no chance or rebooking AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH
      I know worse things happen every day but............................................... ...
      Chin up,happy thoughts xxxx

      #3 pkitch

      • Newbie
      • 29 posts

        Posted 16 May 2010 - 12:25 PM

        We are contacting the translators tomorrow regarding the documents,they cost £460 to do and hope it wont cost the same just to extend the date!!
        The actual wedding i guess can be re arranged but there are 18 of us going so its going to be a big problem,if any delay is only a day or so we might be ok-any longer annd its a cancellation i think!
        Going to ring the travel agents tomorrow too but they will probably say just wait and see what happens.
        A back up plan would be good but at this moment cannot think of one!

        #4 Girasole

        • Member
        • 757 posts

          Posted 16 May 2010 - 03:25 PM

          Did you purchase travel insurance that will refund your money no matter what? That will enable you to not lose out on additional fees to rebook if you would have to change your dates. My friends had to cancel their wedding in FL a few years ago when a bad hurricaine hit and lost a good bit of money.
          Chrissy & Jeremiah's Blog with Pictures...


          #5 pkitch

          • Newbie
          • 29 posts

            Posted 16 May 2010 - 03:37 PM

            We have insurance through our bank,although not sure it covers wedding costs-probably not,also a lot of insurers will not pay on "act of god" incidents and so the only back up is the abta protection which states the travel company must either re book your holiday or refund you-but neither will help us unless its a very quick re book,ie the following week otherwise the wedding cannot go ahead due to the documents falling outside the 6 month limt!

            #6 carolina24

            • Sr. Member
            • 1,573 posts

              Posted 17 May 2010 - 01:49 AM

              oh my, ladies...i'm starting to get nervous now. how long before this ash cloud dissipates?? FI's parents are flying in from england for our wedding in sept, and although it's four months away, I guess you never know. of course in the US we havent heard much recently, due to our short memory span . so ladies across the pond...keep us posted!! thank you!

              #7 AishaB

              • Sr. Member
              • 2,350 posts

                Posted 17 May 2010 - 06:54 AM

                Hi ladies, this ash cloud has been a real problem and I can see your concerns. I just wanted to say I hope that it works out for all of you and that your day is just as wonderful as can be with no extra drama with this ash.

                I thought the travel insurance was a good idea. I don't know about it covering act of God, but it usually takes in just about everything, such as if you missed your flight for most any reason. Most airlines offer it when you purchase your tickets.

                Also, I know that this might be more money but according to where the ash is affecting, what about flying out from a different location. For instance, this weekend I know that Gatwick and Heathrow were closed down, what about flying out of Paris? I dont know if this helps. But I hope it does.

                Happy planning.
                BDW the best place for my TYPE A personality!

                0 user(s) are reading this topic

                0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users