Jump to content


Getting your license translated at home instead of Mexico?

  • Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 red1der1

  • Newbie
  • 31 posts

    Posted 24 April 2010 - 07:14 PM

    Hi All,

    I am sure this has been asked before. I have searched and can't really find any answer.

    Has anyone took their marriage license home and had it translated once home instead of letting it be done in Mexico? If so, where did you go and how long and much did it cost?? We are getting married at Dreams Tulum on July 16th and were told it would be 120.00 and 3-4 months for translation if done through the resort. 3-4 months is a long time to wait especially we just bought a house in another state. I don't want to have to chnage my drivers license and all for the location then have to go back in a few months for the name. I would rather get it done sooner than later. Any information would be helpful!!

    Thank so much!!


    #2 Mere

    • Member
    • 729 posts

      Posted 24 April 2010 - 08:29 PM

      I can't help you out with that info, but wanted to share with you what we are doing. We are getting legally married in the US a few days before we go to Mexico. We are having a symbolic ceremony in Mexico and then when we get home-we are done and ready to change names on everything. I chose to do this because of the cost, wait, and translation of getting married in Mexico. Good Luck to you. :)

      #3 Smidge

      • Newbie
      • 55 posts

        Posted 25 April 2010 - 04:09 PM

        The best thing to do is to have a legal ceremony at the courthouse right before you leave for your wedding. This way you'll know everything is in order in states. There are just too many things that can go wrong with a license in another country, and people can take advantage of you.

        Make the legal ceremony "clinical," and save your meaningful vows and ring exchange for your destination site.

        #4 SandalGirl

        • Newbie
        • 109 posts

          Posted 25 April 2010 - 07:16 PM

          We were given a certificate in mexico, and we were supposed to get mailed the 'legal' one (it has a sealed stamp on the back' mailed to us in about two months. I was able to use the 'non legal' (I didn't say anything) to change everything here in BC. I did have to get it translated to change my drivers lisence and it cost 70 dollars and three days to do it by a translator recommended by ICBC. Good luck!
          March 4, 2010 ~ Mayan Riviera, Mexico

          0 user(s) are reading this topic

          0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users