Photo

Malaria?

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 LindsayG

LindsayG
  • 95 posts

Posted 26 July 2007 - 03:06 PM

So in researching passport info today, I stumbled across this from the CDC -

Travelers to rural areas of the Dominican Republic are at risk for malaria, with the highest risk in provinces bordering Haiti. In addition, risk in all areas of La Altagracia Province, including Punta Cana and Bavaro Beach (Permanent October 21, 2005). Travelers to malaria-risk areas in Haiti and Dominican Republic should take chloroquine to prevent malaria.

Obviously this has me a bit concerned...I can just imagine sending anti-malaria medication along with my STDs!

Anyone heard anything about this?
    Lindsay & Billy
    July 11, 2008
    Paradisus Punta Cana

#2 MsShelley

MsShelley

VIP Member

• VIP Member
    • 10,366 posts

Posted 26 July 2007 - 03:15 PM

that is a bit scary!!

#3 gkashmira

gkashmira
      • 1,962 posts

Posted 26 July 2007 - 03:25 PM

hmmmm.... well when I went to India I had to take Malaria pills and honestly it's not that big of a deal. However one thing to note is that the first day you take them it makes you a little bit queasy - so make sure you start them BEFORE your wedding day!
        Kashmira & Dan
        Happily married since June 16, 2007
        http://i95.photobuck....a/IMG_0769.jpg
        Our mini-video: http://www.bajavideo...m/Kash_Dan.html
        Photo slideshow: http://www.tomasbarron.com/recent.php

#4 foxytv

foxytv
        • VIP Member
        • 7,740 posts

Posted 27 July 2007 - 05:17 PM

I've been on another DR forum where there has been a LOT of malaria talk, but everyone in Punta Cana says there have been noissues with it there for several years. If that can relieve any of the anxiety.

I do know that there are bugs and people encourage bug spray ... but that's all I'm planning to do...

#5 mkdela

mkdela
          • 82 posts

Posted 27 July 2007 - 06:13 PM

I looked into this when I vacationed in Punta Cana about 2 years ago. I was told that if you are staying on the resorts, you don't need to take malaria pills but if you plan to venture off of the resorts, you should. Not sure if anything has changed since then...
            KATHLEEN & COURTNEY 3/1/08

#6 foxytv

foxytv
            • VIP Member
            • 7,740 posts

Posted 28 July 2007 - 12:48 PM

Quote:
              Originally Posted by mkdela
              I looked into this when I vacationed in Punta Cana about 2 years ago. I was told that if you are staying on the resorts, you don't need to take malaria pills but if you plan to venture off of the resorts, you should. Not sure if anything has changed since then...
              Good to know! I hadn't heard that. We might be taking some excursions during our honeymoon, so I may need to look into the pills afterall...

#7 dlou

dlou
              • 100 posts

Posted 30 July 2007 - 12:01 PM

I heard about this too and it freaked me out a little bit, but when I researched it a little more I found that the resorts actually spray their property for bugs so contracting malaria shouldn't be a problem as long as you stay at the resort. If you do any excersions you will need to take the medication though.

#8 dlou

dlou
                • 100 posts

Posted 30 July 2007 - 12:04 PM

By the way I live in the Baton Rouge area too!

#9 starchild

starchild

• Moderators
                  • 26,161 posts

Posted 30 July 2007 - 12:13 PM

I do know that when we landed in Montego Bay, JA in June there was a separate area of the airport that they were sending people to who may be infectious. That group included people who in the past few months had been to DR, Haiti, a few West African countries, and few Latin American countries. They were detained but I didn't stick around to see what happened. You should be fine, take the meds with you just in case.

#10 mtoomey1

mtoomey1
                    • 5 posts

Posted 06 July 2016 - 10:04 AM

This is scary

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users