Originally Posted by Miley929
Hi! My wedding is in the beginning of January and I haven't been able to get Mayte to respond to me recently. I emailed her and hoped she would get back to me. I'm trying to be respectful while she mourns her child... but I'm starting to get stressed out. Other than pay my deposit and confirm that they received the money (April/May-ish), I haven't planned anything with her!
The only thing keeping me sane right now is AR-DreamWedding 's Jellyfish wedding template!! Thanks sooo much!
So, I'm hoping you all can help me with some questions. Thanks in advance!!
- How tall is the wedding gazebo? I want to hang something paper cranes from it.
- Can you provide fans on the backs on chairs or do I have to buy them?
- Can I contact the DJ? I have some special requests - like asking him to provide microphones for my groomsmen, who are going to sing, play guitar and djembe for the bridesmaid processional.
- Does your florist make flower leis. If so, can you give me an idea of how much they cost per lei for different flowers?
- If I hire the baby sitter, how long does that person stay at my wedding?
- Can I get the fire dancers for 10 or 15 minutes? How much would it cost? (I think a 20 minute show might be too long a break in the festivities.)
- What is included in crazy hour? I've seen pictures of dancers, capoeira dancers, and a person on stilts. Do my guests interact with them or just watch the dancing?
- How many cigars does the cigar roller give me before I have to pay for extra? How much is it to have the cigar roller two or three hours? I have a small wedding and don't think I'd need him for four hours.
- Can you purchase small bottles of Mamajuana for me to use as wedding favors? If so, how much would 40 bottles cost?
- Can you purchase sky lanterns for me? (I can't take them with me on the plane because of the fuel cells.) How much would 40 cost?
- If we use an American Express card to pay, do we have to pay local tax? Is the only way to avoid that by paying cash?
- How many times can the bus take people back to the hotel after the wedding? More than one?
Don't Stress!!! I tried to answer everything you asked and will get back to you on some of the things by the end of the week.
1. The Gazebo is tall enough for you to put cranes. You can either hang them in the back so that you and your fianc© are at the fore-front and they will be part of your background or you can put them above you. My husband is 6ft and there was still a good 2 ft above him. Just try to make the cranes fairly small (e.g. the size a hand) so that they don't take away from you and your finance's special moments. Remember it is windy on the beach so you may want to think about the cranes being blown around.
2. You will need to bring the fans yourself. I bought my silk fans from Michael's Craft Store and we had 70 guests. It cost me around $90 for all of them. BUT if I were you I would not bother with the fans because my guests had no idea they were able to use them (as they thought it was part of the d©cor) and my husband had to tell everyone to use them. In the end, most people left their fans because they were having so much fun and forgot all about them. Something to consider if it's worth the cost to you.
3. No need to contact the DJ. When you make your plans for Mayte ensure that you note that you will need 2 additional microphones and that you have people who will be performing. She will take care of it. When you see her in your pre-meeting you can explain the specifics and she will arrange everything to your liking. She is a perfectionist so I have no doubt that it will work out perfectly.
4. Mayte works closely with a trusted florist there and often does the bouquet arrangements herself! She manually painted some of my real flowers by hand to enhance the colour/detail of each petal. WOW, right? Feel free to send me a picture of what you are looking for and I will see if I can get you the information you need. Certain flowers are very expensive to get in the DR so it really depends on what kinds of flowers you are looking for. Be mindful that the flowers will die by the following day so it may not be worth the money to have real flower leis. Again, just send me a pic if you can of what you have in mind and if you know the specific names of the types of flowers that would be helpful too. FYI: Having real flowers can end up being the most costly thing in your wedding if you are not mindful.... remember flowers are not as readily available as they are in the US and Canada.
5. I am fairly positive that a babysitter will stay with the children for the duration that they are there.... which generally is not too late as they kids are exhausted by the time dinner is over. We had 11 children at our wedding ranging in from ages 2-14 yrs old and there was no need for a babysitter. The Jellyfish is so open that they can be seen at all times and usually end up playing with each other until they are so exhausted they just fall asleep in a lounge chair!
6. The 20 mins show goes by very quickly and is often a highlight for your guests, especially if you keep it a surprise. A 5 mins difference will not make or break anything in the grand scheme of things, honestly. The evening will move very fluidly and the MC is fabulous at guiding your guests throughout the night. Trust me when I say that anyone with a camera or cell phone will be so excited and film the whole fire show because it's stunning and brings everything to life.
7. The crazy show is very interactive with your guests! You can choose from various themes but the most popular is the Brazilian show which includes: dancers, capoeira (Brazilian fight dancers), a stilt man, confetti, masks, crazy dancers, and a fire show. So if you go with this option you will not need to have a separate fire show.
8. The cigar roller is the one thing I do not know much about but I can find out for you... let me know if you are serious about having one. What I do know is that they sell their cigars at your wedding and in my opinion that is kind of tacky. For the really good cigars most people just do the excursion that takes them to the cigar plant and the chocolate factory. I would think you are better off to buy some really good cigars at the factory when you get there or else buy them at the Duty Free and then just give them to the few people who you know would enjoy them. Totally up to you.
9. As for the Mamajuana it may be difficult to find small individual size bottles as the drink is made with a multitude of herbs that the rum and wine sit in and the locals don't generally sell it on street corners... it's more for us tourists. That means that access to them would come from places that cater to tourists hence they would be fairly expensive. Brugal is the Rum of the DR so you may want to try that as an alternative. I will check into the Mamajuana accessibility and get back to on this by the end of the week. Please PM me to remind me if I forget.
10. Ok so here is deal with skylanterns.... the Jellyfish is very windy because it is directly on the beach and quite often sky lanterns cannot be lit because of the wind. Mayte can get you some but note that they do not sell these in the DR so it will be whatever she has left over from other weddings. We wanted these too but after we were told about the wind factor we decide it was not worth it. I am glad we didn't bother because it was quite windy and there is no way I would've been able to get them lit.
11. The tax is only charged on the food and drink and whether you pay by AMEX or cash the tax must be paid. It is the law for all DR restaurants. All the vendor fees, restaurant rental, d©cor, etc do not have tax on them.
12. The bus holds 35 people and if your wedding is only 40 persons I would assume that it will probably make one early trip (usually the older people and people with kids get tired earlier) and one final trip at the end of your night. There is no additional charge for this. Note that the bus will not make a trip for just 5-6 people. If there are only a handful of people who want to leave early I suggest you use a cab (Mayte can call them when needed).
Ok so I think I answered everything but let me know if I missed anything or if there is anything you want to know more about. Be careful not to get stuck on the tiny details because not only can you make yourself crazy but I can tell you that no one will notice whether you had fans, shells on every table, real flowers, what your aisle runner looked like, etc because the natural surroundings of the Jellyfish is breathtaking as is. Truth be told, until I looked at the photos of my wedding I had no idea just how beautiful it really was.... I wanted to Pintrest my own wedding, it was just that nice! LOL Also be mindful of the wind factor there.
Oh, and I am VERY happy to know that you find my outline helpful! Feeling super special right now