Photo

Mahekal or Ceiba del Mar Hotel? Need help please!!!

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 YrishCathe

YrishCathe
  • 31 posts

Posted 05 March 2010 - 04:11 PM

Hello ladies, So I am getting married in Playa del Carmen on 10-10-10! We finally got our church but now I need help picking out a hotel for the FI and I and our guests. I'm deciding between Mahekal Beach Resort (formerly Shangri La) or Ceiba del Mar?? If anyone can help I would appreciate it!!! Thanks ladies!!!
    Mrs.2Be

#2 PaulSchrank

PaulSchrank
    • Vendor
    • 237 posts

Posted 05 March 2010 - 06:22 PM

The biggest difference is that Makekal (formely Shangri-La Caribe) is in Playa del Carmen and you can walk to from the hotel to anything in town. Ceiba del Mar is a half hour (at least) away, near Puerto Morelos. You can't really walk to anything from there.

#3 wedding decor

wedding decor
      • Banned
      • 109 posts

Posted 06 March 2010 - 11:24 PM

Well there is a diference in location but also in quality/service. Ceiba del Mar is more on the upscale side. They have very nice areas and many options for wedding parties ( Dock for ceremony is really nice!).

#4 ask9999

ask9999
        • 82 posts

Posted 08 March 2010 - 01:40 PM

I got married at Ceiba and am happy to talk to you if you have any questions regarding the resort.

#5 poohshek

poohshek
          • 1,456 posts

Posted 09 March 2010 - 01:16 AM

Check out this thread about Mahekal Beach Resort (formerly Shangri-La Caribe). Hope this helps.

http://bestdestinati....ve-info-54007/

#6 lalanyc

lalanyc
            • 363 posts

Posted 09 March 2010 - 01:55 AM

I agree w/ wedding decor. Ceiba is in a small town in between Cancun and Playa. Overall their service is more upscale and their rooms are definitely more luxurious. This option is good if you are looking for an intimate, secluded reception.

Mahekal (aka Shanri-La) is offers more basic facilities/amenities but it is in Playa so your guests would have immediate access to 5th Ave. This option is good if you prefer to have lots of activities near the resort, including a wedding after-party on the strip.

Good luck!

#7 tracysf

tracysf
              • 61 posts

Posted 27 April 2010 - 02:20 PM

I just did a site visit to both. The biggest difference for me was the beach. Mahakel is on a public beach that is very croweded. For me, it was imporatant to be a on a nice, quiet, relaxing beach. This was not the case at Mahakel. However, if being close to town is important- than Mahakel is a good choice. It is right in the center of PDC. Also, Ceiba is much nicer (in terms of accomdations, pool, etc)

#8 mexbride83

mexbride83
                • 309 posts

Posted 28 April 2010 - 02:21 PM

Tracy - You are back from your site visit! I hope you'll post a review, I can't wait to hear how it went:)

#9 tracysf

tracysf
                  • 61 posts

Posted 29 April 2010 - 12:56 AM

Hi! Yes, i am lagging! This week is crazy at work---but promise to post a detailed response soon. In short, I LOVED Ceiba Del Mar, Le Reve and Azul! They were all great. Azul can fit 100 people but it's really not ideal. They were all even better than I expected!

#10 tracysf

tracysf
                    • 61 posts

Posted 29 April 2010 - 12:56 AM

I took a TON of pics, so will post everything soon!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users