Sign in to follow this  
jak27

What type of Orchid is this???

Quote:
Originally Posted by akh View Post
she's too focused on the thought of getting her pictures soon!
For sure! Nothing will get done until pictures are at hand!

Quote:
Originally Posted by chprfan View Post
They are dendrobium orchids that are stem dyed. They are normally the bright pink and white ones you have probably seen but they put them in blue dye and they turn this color. The florist I worked for sold these all the time!
Ok, next question. What type of dye? Regular food coloring or something special?

Any special tips?

I want to play with this, and see what callas look like too!

YOu can buy them this way...most florist know about them (well at least here they do) I think if you show them a picture of them you can order them. I wouldnt have any idea how to do them myself though....sorry

I've dyed Roses before and I assume that you could do the same with orchids.

I just use food coloring. The trick isto make a "concentrate". Room temperature water works best and make sure you cut about and inch of the stem before you place it in the concentrate. You will have to watch the flowers and make sure you remove them once you get the color intesity you want.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MERRYME View Post
I've dyed Roses before and I assume that you could do the same with orchids.

I just use food coloring. The trick isto make a "concentrate". Room temperature water works best and make sure you cut about and inch of the stem before you place it in the concentrate. You will have to watch the flowers and make sure you remove them once you get the color intesity you want.
Thank you thank you! I sense a weekend project...I'm sure FI will be thrilled (j/k)!