Jump to content

Photo

Any 2011 Brides out there?


  • Please log in to reply
3537 replies to this topic

#1931 Lindobride14

Lindobride14
  • Jr. Member
  • 279 posts

    Posted 07 June 2010 - 04:31 PM

    Quote:
    Originally Posted by prettypigpig
    I ordered it with a wedding dress manufacturer in China, because it is cheaper ($410), and it is tailor made to my measurements. One of my chinese friend's wife ordered the San Patrick's Palma, and after alterations, they chopped off a lot of the mermaid tail (because she is like 5ft tall)...she looked like a squid/white tube from the front, the back/catheral train was still very beautiful. That is the problem with alters ..sometimes, the dress don't look the same after a lot of chopping and cutting.
    So I went to a seamstress today. She looked at my dress and said that once I start cutting it and such to fit me, it will not look right! My dress is a Pronovias Size 10 and I'm like a size 2. I am freaking because I love my dress and I cannot order it in a smaller size because it's discontinued!

    Bonnie, can you tell me who the dress manufacturer is that you ordered your dress from? Worse case scenario, maybe I will just have to have one custom made to my measurements. Can I show them the picture of my dress and have them recreate it?

    #1932 rosieposie

    rosieposie
    • Member
    • 649 posts

      Posted 07 June 2010 - 04:41 PM

      Quote:
      Originally Posted by Nicyx
      Ooooooo yeah......

      Got my wedding paperwork through from the TA today... all signed... just need to wait a few more weeks for the conformation of our wedding date :-) Whoo... were on!!! :-)

      (i say a few more weeks... watch this space!!!)

      xoxox

      Yay! That's great, something big check off your list

      #1933 Lindobride14

      Lindobride14
      • Jr. Member
      • 279 posts

        Posted 07 June 2010 - 08:01 PM

        I bought my wedding dress yesterday!!!! I am sooo exited and happy!!!!

        Sottero and Midgley Wedding Dresses - Style VSM7012
        Lolita- since I may be back in the market for a wedding dress, did you get your dress at a local bridal shop? I'm at a loss for where to even start looking again! (if need be)

        I have an appointment with Mary, that seamstress I told you about, tomorrow night. I will get a second opinion from her on if she thinks the dress can be sized down enough to fit me without compromising the dress. Maybe this dress was just not meant to be

        #1934 prettypigpig

        prettypigpig
        • Banned
        • 1,034 posts

          Posted 07 June 2010 - 10:21 PM

          Quote:
          Originally Posted by Lindobride14
          So I went to a seamstress today. She looked at my dress and said that once I start cutting it and such to fit me, it will not look right! My dress is a Pronovias Size 10 and I'm like a size 2. I am freaking because I love my dress and I cannot order it in a smaller size because it's discontinued!

          Bonnie, can you tell me who the dress manufacturer is that you ordered your dress from? Worse case scenario, maybe I will just have to have one custom made to my measurements. Can I show them the picture of my dress and have them recreate it?
          Lindobride,
          what is the name of your dress?
          I PM you, and you can go on those site..and see what the Chinese can do for you. Pronovias are made in China, your chance is good.

          Bonnie

          Married to Mr. El Khaiat on July 4th, 2011 @ Royal Playa Del Carmen


          #1935 Treenbean2011

          Treenbean2011
          • Newbie
          • 49 posts

            Posted 08 June 2010 - 02:45 AM

            Quote:
            Originally Posted by Lindobride14
            So I went to a seamstress today. She looked at my dress and said that once I start cutting it and such to fit me, it will not look right! My dress is a Pronovias Size 10 and I'm like a size 2. I am freaking because I love my dress and I cannot order it in a smaller size because it's discontinued!

            Bonnie, can you tell me who the dress manufacturer is that you ordered your dress from? Worse case scenario, maybe I will just have to have one custom made to my measurements. Can I show them the picture of my dress and have them recreate it?
            Is she positive about that? I am a size two in real life, but my wedding dress is a size 8. The women at the salon told me that cutting a dress down by one or two sizes is usually fine. Anything more than that and it gets tricky. Are you a bridal two?

            #1936 michelle2011

            michelle2011
            • Sr. Member
            • 1,301 posts

              Posted 08 June 2010 - 03:30 AM

              Yah Nicy that is great..... what was the paperwork you had to sign? Fingers x'd you get your date confirmed soon :o) x

              #1937 Lindobride14

              Lindobride14
              • Jr. Member
              • 279 posts

                Posted 08 June 2010 - 09:23 AM

                Quote:
                Originally Posted by Treenbean2011
                Is she positive about that? I am a size two in real life, but my wedding dress is a size 8. The women at the salon told me that cutting a dress down by one or two sizes is usually fine. Anything more than that and it gets tricky. Are you a bridal two?
                I am really like a size 0-2. Pronovias' smallest size is 4, but I think they run small.

                The woman at the salon told me the same thing, it would be no problem & that it shouldnt cost more than 250. I took it to the bridal alterations person the shop recommended, who said she could do it but wanted to charge way more than the bridal shop owner quoted me.

                Then I found out FMIL's cousin has been a seamstress for 30 years (who knew?) Took it to her yesterday and she said it's just too big. SHe said there's no way to cut the boob cups down since it's a sweetheart neckline and it's made for a size 38 chest. It honestly all depends on the particular dress, how much beading, lace there is to remove to take the dress in, etc.

                I dunno if I trust the cousin because she runs a regular seamstress shop, not one that specializes in wedding gowns. She does quite a bit of wedding gowns however.

                I am seeking another opinion of a really well-known bridal alterations lady tonight. If she says no, then I'm back to square one.

                I would take your dress to the seamstress early, just to make sure she can do it. That way you have adequate time if you do need to find another dress.

                #1938 Lindobride14

                Lindobride14
                • Jr. Member
                • 279 posts

                  Posted 08 June 2010 - 09:30 AM

                  Quote:
                  Originally Posted by prettypigpig
                  Lindobride,
                  what is the name of your dress?
                  I PM you, and you can go on those site..and see what the Chinese can do for you. Pronovias are made in China, your chance is good.
                  Thanks for PM-ing me that. The name of my dress is Martina. It's from the 2008 La Sposa collection (I have a mental block, I don't know why I keep saying Pronovias)

                  It's not on either site since they only go back to the 2009 collection, but I will contact them depending on how things pan out.

                  Thanks again

                  #1939 Lolita29

                  Lolita29
                  • Jr. Member
                  • 426 posts

                    Posted 08 June 2010 - 12:58 PM

                    Quote:
                    Originally Posted by Lindobride14
                    I am really like a size 0-2. Pronovias' smallest size is 4, but I think they run small.

                    The woman at the salon told me the same thing, it would be no problem & that it shouldnt cost more than 250. I took it to the bridal alterations person the shop recommended, who said she could do it but wanted to charge way more than the bridal shop owner quoted me.

                    Then I found out FMIL's cousin has been a seamstress for 30 years (who knew?) Took it to her yesterday and she said it's just too big. SHe said there's no way to cut the boob cups down since it's a sweetheart neckline and it's made for a size 38 chest. It honestly all depends on the particular dress, how much beading, lace there is to remove to take the dress in, etc.

                    I dunno if I trust the cousin because she runs a regular seamstress shop, not one that specializes in wedding gowns. She does quite a bit of wedding gowns however.

                    I am seeking another opinion of a really well-known bridal alterations lady tonight. If she says no, then I'm back to square one.

                    I would take your dress to the seamstress early, just to make sure she can do it. That way you have adequate time if you do need to find another dress.

                    Why dont you try taking it to Nick's Tailoring in Chicago. Here is the website, Nikiforos Tailoring and Alterations In Chicago Loop they say he is the best in Chicago. My brother use to work at J.Crew in the city and he said they used him all the time and his work is GREAT!

                    #1940 Lolita29

                    Lolita29
                    • Jr. Member
                    • 426 posts

                      Posted 08 June 2010 - 01:03 PM

                      Quote:
                      Originally Posted by Lindobride14


                      Lolita- since I may be back in the market for a wedding dress, did you get your dress at a local bridal shop? I'm at a loss for where to even start looking again! (if need be)

                      I have an appointment with Mary, that seamstress I told you about, tomorrow night. I will get a second opinion from her on if she thinks the dress can be sized down enough to fit me without compromising the dress. Maybe this dress was just not meant to be
                      No i actually found my dress online at weddingbee.com. I drove up to Indiana and purchased it from a girl who bought it but changed her mind on it because she couldn't fill out the bust.




                      0 user(s) are reading this topic

                      0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users