Jump to content

Photo

Any Gran Bahia Principe Runaway Bay Brides out there?


  • Please log in to reply
5571 replies to this topic

#2541 daphodil

daphodil
  • Newbie
  • 23 posts

    Posted 19 September 2011 - 07:33 PM

    Hey,

    Back again to just clarify some things.  AngelaandTrevor, I had over 100 guests and there was no way to get around paying the $2500 to close out the Dolce Vita restaurant because my party was too large.  However, they did imply that if they had availability at another restaurant, they could maybe get around it.  Re-visit the topic and ask them if there are any other options since you are on a budget to see if they will work with you.  My guests didn't care for the Italian menu, so we created our own and asked if they could accommodate and worked with the cost.  I appreciated that.  Let's talk about the MOSQUITO issue.  I want everyone to know that it is not just a JAMAICA thing.  Let me clarify.  My husband is Jamaican and have visited there on different occasions as well as spent time at different resorts (i.e. Iberostar Rose Hall Resorts & Suites, Holiday Inn, Sunset Spa & Resort, etc.).  I opted to have my wedding at Gran Bahia because of appearance and cost effective, but relied on reviews.  Just for the record, that MOSQUITO issue did not exist at all of the other resorts, but it does exist when you stay anywhere else outside of resorts.  I have stayed with his family and have experienced what it is like in normal habitats, which is why we usually spend time at the resort.  My 6 month old nephew attended my wedding and by the time he left, I felt bad about the number of his mosquito bites.  I didn't bring OFF spray because have not experienced this at a resort.  I believe that the other hotels spray something to avoid mosquito issues.  I was annoyed by it, but at some point, just had to cope.  Future brides come prepared.  Cupcake you looked beautiful and I definitely appreciate the truth because it confirms that I wasn't the only one that feel they need to improve.  I don't want the future brides to be worried, but I would suggest that you ask to see everything.  No need to address Donnalee again bcuz I see she's already made a name for herself.  (Cupcake had same issue with her. )  I got the free bouquet and then ordered flowers for bridal party.  My bouquet was smaller than the bridesmaids, but then again Jan's flowers FAILED to bring two of my bouquets (still have received no response regarding their accountability for mistake).  I still have not received free photos from my 8/12/11 wedding (not holding my breath).  My husband was told that wedding certificate should arrive anywhere from 6-8 weeks.  Approx. 2-3 more weeks to go.  I don't have any regrets, I just know better.  It was definitely an experience.  MAKE SURE YOU DESIGNATE YOUR OWN FRIEND/FAMILY MEMBER TO FOLLOW UP ON WEDDING COORDINATORS SO THINGS CAN BE EXACTLY HOW YOU WISH!!!!! (You will probably be too overwhelmed to remember everything).  BTW if you do free wedding package, you get 16 ppl free and everyone additional is $25.  I chose this because it fit into my budget since was over 100 guests.  All the children that were 12 and under were free.  Hope info helps. 



    #2542 cupcake1382

    cupcake1382
    • Site Supporter
    • 252 posts

      Posted 20 September 2011 - 03:31 AM

      Thanks sooo much daphodil!

       

      Let me reiterate and jump on some things that she said too..

       

      I LOVED the wedding, it was amazing and no one realized the couple of small snaffooos but me. I have OCD and I'm very picky but that's just me. As a wedding planner I also have to remember that some wedding vendors are not as accommodating or as nice as I am or willing to give 120%, they are ok with giving 90%. The little things that bothered me may be non-existent when you get there. The Dolce Vita manager did offer to move our wedding reception out into the dining room while they sprayed the secluded room, but I didn't want that so we just ran and got some OFF.

       

      Also- I think I may have forgot to put in my earlier review post- for me, it was much easier to write everything down for Chandlyn. If there is a certain way you want your ceremony/reception decorations just have it written down for her. For example- I HATE real flowers, so I told her I wanted no flowers anywhere! I brought luminaries as the placecards with each persons name on them to be on their plate. So since they usually have the napkin standing on the plate, I told her to put the napkin on the side of the plate and place my luminaries on the plate so people knew where they were suppose to sit. So if you care about where things are to be placed just write it out to give to her when she meets with you and you turn over all your decorations.

       

      Also, my cake wasn't what I wanted design wise, but I wasn't able to speak with anyone about it and at that point oh well. The flavors I wanted where there.

       

      Oh and.. be prepared the coordinators leave after about an hour of your reception. They only work until 7. So if you have a lot of things planned (bouquet/garter toss, speeches, etc) have it written down on a timeline and elect someone to keep the schedule moving for you. I noticed we had a lot of down time because dinner service was soooo slow. Make sure you let her know after the main course you want your cake instead of the dessert that comes with dinner. I was disappointed that they cut my cake and put it in the boxes I provided for guests to take back with them instead of handing them out at the dinner. So people ate cake out of the boxes at dinner, lol. And make sure you bring a cake box big enough to take the rest of your cake back to your room. Or you can do like Tekeya and take their cake plate, haha!

       


       

      Originally Posted by daphodil 

      Hey,

      Back again to just clarify some things.  AngelaandTrevor, I had over 100 guests and there was no way to get around paying the $2500 to close out the Dolce Vita restaurant because my party was too large.  However, they did imply that if they had availability at another restaurant, they could maybe get around it.  Re-visit the topic and ask them if there are any other options since you are on a budget to see if they will work with you.  My guests didn't care for the Italian menu, so we created our own and asked if they could accommodate and worked with the cost.  I appreciated that.  Let's talk about the MOSQUITO issue.  I want everyone to know that it is not just a JAMAICA thing.  Let me clarify.  My husband is Jamaican and have visited there on different occasions as well as spent time at different resorts (i.e. Iberostar Rose Hall Resorts & Suites, Holiday Inn, Sunset Spa & Resort, etc.).  I opted to have my wedding at Gran Bahia because of appearance and cost effective, but relied on reviews.  Just for the record, that MOSQUITO issue did not exist at all of the other resorts, but it does exist when you stay anywhere else outside of resorts.  I have stayed with his family and have experienced what it is like in normal habitats, which is why we usually spend time at the resort.  My 6 month old nephew attended my wedding and by the time he left, I felt bad about the number of his mosquito bites.  I didn't bring OFF spray because have not experienced this at a resort.  I believe that the other hotels spray something to avoid mosquito issues.  I was annoyed by it, but at some point, just had to cope.  Future brides come prepared.  Cupcake you looked beautiful and I definitely appreciate the truth because it confirms that I wasn't the only one that feel they need to improve.  I don't want the future brides to be worried, but I would suggest that you ask to see everything.  No need to address Donnalee again bcuz I see she's already made a name for herself.  (Cupcake had same issue with her. )  I got the free bouquet and then ordered flowers for bridal party.  My bouquet was smaller than the bridesmaids, but then again Jan's flowers FAILED to bring two of my bouquets (still have received no response regarding their accountability for mistake).  I still have not received free photos from my 8/12/11 wedding (not holding my breath).  My husband was told that wedding certificate should arrive anywhere from 6-8 weeks.  Approx. 2-3 more weeks to go.  I don't have any regrets, I just know better.  It was definitely an experience.  MAKE SURE YOU DESIGNATE YOUR OWN FRIEND/FAMILY MEMBER TO FOLLOW UP ON WEDDING COORDINATORS SO THINGS CAN BE EXACTLY HOW YOU WISH!!!!! (You will probably be too overwhelmed to remember everything).  BTW if you do free wedding package, you get 16 ppl free and everyone additional is $25.  I chose this because it fit into my budget since was over 100 guests.  All the children that were 12 and under were free.  Hope info helps. 



       


      09-10-11
      Runaway Bay, Jamaica
      I married my best friend!

      #2543 cupcake1382

      cupcake1382
      • Site Supporter
      • 252 posts

        Posted 20 September 2011 - 03:40 AM

        I gave them a picture and it wasn't what I wanted at all.

        Ins

        Here is the picture I sent:  I wanted 3 tier cake with no designs (I wanted the frosting to be smooth and simple) at all and I would bring in the ribbon, and instead of round I wanted them to be square.



        Does anyone have a picture of the wedding cake supplied by the hotel?  Has anyone dared to have the hotel make a cake resembling a picture that you have supplied?  Any pictures would be fantastic!  I'm a bit leary of getting them to do something out of the ordinary.



         


        09-10-11
        Runaway Bay, Jamaica
        I married my best friend!

        #2544 cupcake1382

        cupcake1382
        • Site Supporter
        • 252 posts

          Posted 20 September 2011 - 03:44 AM

          Hey Jodiann,

           

          Congrats on booking and thank you for the kind words. Like I stated, I am very blunt and I am glad that you are going with GBP. It is a beautiful resort and Chandlyn is very sweet and tries to accommodate everything you could possibly want. If you have any questions don't hesitate to ask any of us, we are all here for ya :)
           

          Originally Posted by Jodiann 

          Hi ladies! I am new to the site and I am also getting married at the GBP, and now I am SOOOOO scared! All the good things sound great .. but the bad things sound horrible! Like roaches (OMG), and a rude wedding coordinator (Donnalee). It took me long enough to actually pick a resort. Being in charge of picking a place for all your family and friends to spend their vacation and their money on is a harsh reality to have on your shoulders. I mean its booked for us, and everyone knows this is where its going to be, so I guess now its just working with what we have. But I am def nervous now, not only about the resort but about everything.

           

          Cupcake & Mrs. Johnson, you guys are amazing! The time you have taken to write everything you have for everyone is great, thank you so much! Also both of you looked GORGEOUS on your day, and the wedding itself looked amazing. And all of your pre-wedding planning with bags and decorations and everything else is such a big help. After seeing all of your posts from start to finish, I am nervous! I hope I can pull it off too!



           


          09-10-11
          Runaway Bay, Jamaica
          I married my best friend!

          #2545 CdnBeatPrincess

          CdnBeatPrincess
          • Jr. Member
          • 296 posts

            Posted 20 September 2011 - 06:35 AM

            I'm getting nervous too about the bugs. Do you think the mosquitos are normal during the hot season? Will this be the same for April? I'm starting to strees out. Just wondering on my pre-travel brochure or OOT bags to mention this to family members and friends....

             

            It seems a lot of resorts are getting bad reviews lately on trip advisor from Jamaica. But I have to think, more people posts complaints than positive reviews.

             

            Thanks for the all the tips!



            #2546 CdnBeatPrincess

            CdnBeatPrincess
            • Jr. Member
            • 296 posts

              Posted 20 September 2011 - 06:37 AM

              That cake does look like a hot mess! But as long as it tastes good... that's all that matters.

               

              Originally Posted by cupcake1382 

              I gave them a picture and it wasn't what I wanted at all.

              Ins

              Here is the picture I sent:  I wanted 3 tier cake with no designs (I wanted the frosting to be smooth and simple) at all and I would bring in the ribbon, and instead of round I wanted them to be square.

              cake 3.jpg
               

               

              I got this: (This is not my cake, I don't have a picture yet but this is an example of a previous cake from the resort that Chandlyn sent me a couple weeks before)

              I got a 3 tiered, square cake with all this piping mess, uggggh.

              cake 4.JPG



               



               



              #2547 Tekeya Thompson

              Tekeya Thompson
              • Site Supporter
              • 196 posts

                Posted 20 September 2011 - 06:53 AM



                Here's a pic of mine...no way like what I choose, but hey, just had to deal with it.  I like Cupcakes, opted for their plain smooth cake.  I will try to post a pic of the 3 options that they gave me for the cake.

                 



                Does anyone have a picture of the wedding cake supplied by the hotel?  Has anyone dared to have the hotel make a cake resembling a picture that you have supplied?  Any pictures would be fantastic!  I'm a bit leary of getting them to do something out of the ordinary.



                 



                #2548 Tekeya Thompson

                Tekeya Thompson
                • Site Supporter
                • 196 posts

                  Posted 20 September 2011 - 06:57 AM



                  OMG Daphodil,

                  I never got the hair flowers either for my bridesmaids but think they put them on the cake instead...so I never questioned it, maybe I should.   We stayed at Lady Hamilton, Grand Palladium the next day after wedding, and mosquitos were bad when we went ATV riding the next day (which was on the other side of the island)...so I think it's just the season period for bad mosquitos, everywhere.  Not just Jamaica.  Because the wind is blowing so hard at gazebo, that provides protection against them during the day.  I did the free package also, but the bride and groom counts as part of the 16, so you technically only get 14 free guests, keep that in mind.

                   

                   

                  Originally Posted by daphodil 

                  Hey,

                  Back again to just clarify some things.  AngelaandTrevor, I had over 100 guests and there was no way to get around paying the $2500 to close out the Dolce Vita restaurant because my party was too large.  However, they did imply that if they had availability at another restaurant, they could maybe get around it.  Re-visit the topic and ask them if there are any other options since you are on a budget to see if they will work with you.  My guests didn't care for the Italian menu, so we created our own and asked if they could accommodate and worked with the cost.  I appreciated that.  Let's talk about the MOSQUITO issue.  I want everyone to know that it is not just a JAMAICA thing.  Let me clarify.  My husband is Jamaican and have visited there on different occasions as well as spent time at different resorts (i.e. Iberostar Rose Hall Resorts & Suites, Holiday Inn, Sunset Spa & Resort, etc.).  I opted to have my wedding at Gran Bahia because of appearance and cost effective, but relied on reviews.  Just for the record, that MOSQUITO issue did not exist at all of the other resorts, but it does exist when you stay anywhere else outside of resorts.  I have stayed with his family and have experienced what it is like in normal habitats, which is why we usually spend time at the resort.  My 6 month old nephew attended my wedding and by the time he left, I felt bad about the number of his mosquito bites.  I didn't bring OFF spray because have not experienced this at a resort.  I believe that the other hotels spray something to avoid mosquito issues.  I was annoyed by it, but at some point, just had to cope.  Future brides come prepared.  Cupcake you looked beautiful and I definitely appreciate the truth because it confirms that I wasn't the only one that feel they need to improve.  I don't want the future brides to be worried, but I would suggest that you ask to see everything.  No need to address Donnalee again bcuz I see she's already made a name for herself.  (Cupcake had same issue with her. )  I got the free bouquet and then ordered flowers for bridal party.  My bouquet was smaller than the bridesmaids, but then again Jan's flowers FAILED to bring two of my bouquets (still have received no response regarding their accountability for mistake).  I still have not received free photos from my 8/12/11 wedding (not holding my breath).  My husband was told that wedding certificate should arrive anywhere from 6-8 weeks.  Approx. 2-3 more weeks to go.  I don't have any regrets, I just know better.  It was definitely an experience.  MAKE SURE YOU DESIGNATE YOUR OWN FRIEND/FAMILY MEMBER TO FOLLOW UP ON WEDDING COORDINATORS SO THINGS CAN BE EXACTLY HOW YOU WISH!!!!! (You will probably be too overwhelmed to remember everything).  BTW if you do free wedding package, you get 16 ppl free and everyone additional is $25.  I chose this because it fit into my budget since was over 100 guests.  All the children that were 12 and under were free.  Hope info helps. 



                   



                  #2549 CdnBeatPrincess

                  CdnBeatPrincess
                  • Jr. Member
                  • 296 posts

                    Posted 20 September 2011 - 07:06 AM

                    The flowers look great on the cake.

                     

                    Tekeya - Your 3 tier cake, how many people did this feed?



                    #2550 Tekeya Thompson

                    Tekeya Thompson
                    • Site Supporter
                    • 196 posts

                      Posted 20 September 2011 - 07:14 AM


                      Actually I could have done the 2 tier and was good, because we had the whole cake topper and some of the middle leftover. I had 51 people
                       

                      Originally Posted by CdnBeatPrincess 

                      The flowers look great on the cake.

                       

                      Tekeya - Your 3 tier cake, how many people did this feed?



                       






                      0 user(s) are reading this topic

                      0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users