Photo

How Do I Find a Photographer??

• Please log in to reply
33 replies to this topic

#11 KittenHeart

KittenHeart
  • 3,103 posts

Posted 06 November 2009 - 05:33 PM

I'm bringing my own photographer as well! He is so talented and I love his style and during talks to him he waived all travel fees! He's a BDW vendor as well :)

Here's his blog to get an idea of some recent weddings he's done, my engagement photos are 3 down from the top as well, he threw those in for free too! He's so easy to work with and really understands what he's doing :)

Destination Wedding Photography|Los Angeles Ventura Santa Barbara County Wedding Photographer

#12 whitey_M

whitey_M
    • 5 posts

Posted 07 November 2009 - 03:55 PM

Hi, I am getting married march 15 2010 in varadero. is anyone getting married around that time and interested in sharing the travel costs for a canadian photographer??

#13 almostmarried2

almostmarried2
      • 2 posts

Posted 13 November 2009 - 05:44 PM

Going with a resort photographer is kind of dicey, since they might be hired there because they have connections, or give the resort a cheap rate. You'd be better off getting your own photographer if you have a specific style you want, and you might even get a cheaper rate since they get to go to a gorgeous tropical destination with you. We found this http://www.gathering...tographers.html helpful when picking our photographer, if it helps you find someone reasonable.

#14 jackobelle

jackobelle
        • 359 posts

Posted 20 November 2009 - 09:39 AM

Quote:
          Originally Posted by whitey_M
          Hi, I am getting married march 15 2010 in varadero. is anyone getting married around that time and interested in sharing the travel costs for a canadian photographer??
          There are a few brides on this forum getting married on March 17th. (including me, but I am not bringing a photographer from Canada) I think there are a couple looking to share a photographer too! Go the the Cuba brides when is your date thread to find out who, and then you can PM them.

#15 greshle

greshle
          • 17 posts

Posted 24 November 2009 - 02:23 PM

I'm really interested in bringing my own photographer but our resort has a policy about not allowing outside vendors. I'm not sure if that just applies to local photographers or whether the hotel would have an issue with our home photographer. I'm trying to figure out if it's best to tell/ask the resort that I'm bringing a photographer or whether I should just have our photog as one of the wedding guests and let things work out on their own. Have any other brides had this same issue? What is your recommendation for working with the hotel on this issue?

Thanks!

#16 Dmitri_Markine

Dmitri_Markine
            • Vendor
            • 2,782 posts

Posted 03 December 2009 - 04:49 AM

Quote:
              Originally Posted by greshle
              I'm really interested in bringing my own photographer but our resort has a policy about not allowing outside vendors
              Are you sure you are getting married in Cuba? I've never heard of such thing. They may ask you to pay $70-150 for the day/rate if photographer is not a guest at the resort. They do allow outside AND local photographers.
              Resorts in Cuba are not private and owned by the government. Same rules and regulations apply to all the hotels.

Dmitri

#17 Aimes

Aimes
              • 18 posts

Posted 03 December 2009 - 01:04 PM

Hey there, I don't yet know where/when I am getting married next year, but the one thing that Chad (my FI) and I have agreed on is that we will be taking Nels Akerlund with us (Nels Akerlund Weddings). I am an art consultant and was meeting with him to buy some photography for a corporation, when I saw his wedding photos I was blown away. He and his wife both photograph, they are absolutely fabulous people who really listen to what the client wants. If you go to his website and look at the slideshow for Jaimie and Woody you will see that he photographs the entire experience, not just the wedding day, his attitude is that the build up is part of the big day, having all of your family and friends together.

He is a well respected guy who has photographed for National Geographic and so knows how to capture the beauty of the backdrop.

I hope that this is helpful.
                Take Care, Amy

#18 jaredrey

jaredrey
                • 144 posts

Posted 03 December 2009 - 01:13 PM

There is also a vendor marketplace on this forum with a list of great photographers for weddings. give them a look, there are some offering free wedding photography contest and others who are offering discounts to start building their DW portfolio.

#19 RonNMel

RonNMel
                  • 388 posts

Posted 03 December 2009 - 07:24 PM

Wow! I agree Amy that those pictures are amazing!!!! I wish I had the budget to bring my own photographer.

#20 jackobelle

jackobelle
                    • 359 posts

Posted 05 December 2009 - 12:53 AM

Quote:
                      Originally Posted by Dmitri_Markine
                      Are you sure you are getting married in Cuba? I've never heard of such thing. They may ask you to pay $70-150 for the day/rate if photographer is not a guest at the resort. They do allow outside AND local photographers.
                      Resorts in Cuba are not private and owned by the government. Same rules and regulations apply to all the hotels.

Dmitri
                      Cuba is totally starting to do this!!! I went on a research visit last March and some hotels said I could use whoever and some said we had to use their photog unless ours was a foreign guest in the hotel.

My hotel first told me in March 09 that I could use whoever so we booked with them and they are now saying that we can only use a wedding guest or a close relative or friend who is doing the photos as a gift (and we pay a day pass)...they totally did a 180 and changed their mind which is super frustrating, especially after a booked a great local photog. & paid the deposit!

You would think that with Cuba EVERYTHING would be consistent as it is in every other area....so I have no idea why this is happening now. ??

Any ideas or suggestions?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users