HELP!!! Feeling pretty bad about asking my guests to spend all this money...

• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#21 CarlaP

• 7 posts

Posted 17 September 2009 - 11:39 PM

[QUOTE=svetayasofiya;984742]My situation is slightly different as I live thousands of miles away from my family... so they would have all had to travel anyway. Rather than them spending $$ coming for a long weekend to my wedding, it just made sense to make a weeks vacation out of it.

I've done the same thing - for my friends and family to travel to my new home, it would cost more for a round trip plane ticket than a week all-inclusive at a tropical destination!

#22 SSNM

• 675 posts

Posted 18 September 2009 - 03:33 AM

Hi! To answer your questions:

1. Is this right? - if your heart is set on a DW, then yes. BUT, the reality is you have to accept the fact that some won't go to your wedding no matter how cheap of a place you find whether it is for cost or convenience or both. If you can accept that, then it is for you.

2. Have we all felt this way? - I think this is a VERY normal reaction. I first balked at the idea of a DW saying that is too much to ask of someone for "my big day." Then I calculated the cost of a local wedding filled with people I don't even really talk to. Then I reconsidered the DW and saw the lucrativeness of a DW from an economic standpoint as well as something that suits my style better. It was an option I couldn't refuse.

3. How did I spread the word: I started with the word of mouth to my closest people to see if they would be up for making the trip. I had quite a few 'yes' at first, and then they started to get wishy washy. I will send STDs when I have my date confirmed at the resort and use my wedding website for updates.

I have no idea who will come to my DW...it may be just me and FH, it may be the entire clan. Either way, I am getting the wedding I want :)

#23 svetayasofiya

• 590 posts

Posted 18 September 2009 - 08:58 AM

Originally Posted by Taylorbride
        You have to decide if your going to be okay with it.
        Biggest decision you will have as a DW bride... and easier said than done.

#24 Sloan

• 1,279 posts

Posted 18 September 2009 - 11:22 AM

Originally Posted by gossip girl
          I would rather have a super fun wedding of my dreams with people close to me who will definitely make the trip, than a wedding with tons of people in a boring banquet hall eating crappy food just so more people can afford it.
          My thoughts exactly.

Our wedding = our choice. We picked a resort that cost ~ $2000/night. I didn't feel guilty at all. We never held a gun to anyone's head to fork out the cash to come. If you could afford it, great and if not... oh well. We still got married and had a great time with 9 guests. I figure if it's going to break your heart (not your's in particular) not to have the majority of your friends and family around than a DW isn't for you.

Everyone thinks its a super great idea and people are quick to hop on the band wagon to go away for a wedding, but when the time comes to actually pay for it... people start dropping off like flies.

Bottom line. Do what feels right for you and yours.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users