Bringing meat to DR

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Soon-2-B

Soon-2-B
  • 2 posts

Posted 11 September 2009 - 12:39 PM

I know - what an odd topic.

My FMIL has very extreme food allergies, so we have to bring food (particularly meat) with us.

Just wanted to see if anybody had done this before - what did you do? How did you get it down there? Did you have any problems with customs?

Thanks so much,

A

#2 ErinB

ErinB

VIP Member

• VIP Member
    • 9,504 posts

Posted 11 September 2009 - 01:24 PM

Usually you cannot bring any kind of raw meat or produce across any border because of the threat of bacteria, illness, etc. If it something packaged and presreved (beef jerky, etc) there isn't a problem.

I did a quick search but couldn't find any particular info

Try the American Embassy in the DR and see what the policy is. Maybe if she has medical documentation is can get some kind of waiver.
      Dominican Republic (06/09)

#3 *Karla*

*Karla*
      • 4,854 posts

Posted 11 September 2009 - 01:30 PM

You will need to check with the DR govt. We are bring down cooked meat and some other foods to Jamaica, and my mom just had to get a permit from the JA govt. It was a fairly simple process.

#4 damaris

damaris
        • 462 posts

Posted 11 September 2009 - 01:34 PM

I'm Dominican and I can tell you that they won't allow you to fly any food in. They don't allow meats, fruits and live plants.
          65 BOOKED PLUS BRIDE & GROOM

http://global.thekno...rs/tt22b9e.aspx

#5 Outdoor_girl1010

Outdoor_girl1010
          • 657 posts

Posted 11 September 2009 - 03:22 PM

Quote:
            Originally Posted by damaris
            I'm Dominican and I can tell you that they won't allow you to fly any food in. They don't allow meats, fruits and live plants.
            This is the case for most places!!!!
            Cory & Jennifer
            March 13, 2010Punta Cana D.R.!!http://i150.photobuc....3/IMG_6740.jpg

#6 Soon-2-B

Soon-2-B
            • 2 posts

Posted 11 September 2009 - 03:40 PM

well I called the consulate and got the most uninspired answer:

"Um no you shouldn't have any problems with that."

So I asked if there was a form or a permit, similar to what Karla said, and again, I got:

When I go to the consulate directly to have my documents processed I'll ask again. Worst thing would be for her to actually get there and have all her food taken away.

#7 caribbeanLover

caribbeanLover
              • 1,619 posts

Posted 14 September 2009 - 01:52 PM

Quote:
                Originally Posted by Soon-2-B
                well I called the consulate and got the most uninspired answer:

So I asked if there was a form or a permit, similar to what Karla said, and again, I got:

When I go to the consulate directly to have my documents processed I'll ask again. Worst thing would be for her to actually get there and have all her food taken away.
                I know there is allot of rules with things like this. But I know it is possible. But how much work, and money it will cost I am not sure. The people you should call is the company your flying with. They will be able to answer any of your question, with real answer's!
                http://i1002.photobu..../img-239-1.jpg http://i1002.photobu....0/img-21-1.jpg
                Tracy and Mike

Married and in love all over again!!!!!!
                Happily ever after...

#8 DreamComeTrue

DreamComeTrue
                • 25 posts

Posted 12 October 2009 - 11:26 PM

Usually on the customs form you have to say that you are not bringing any food etc...into the country so IDK but could you get your caterer or the hotel restaurant to so it on your behalf? Get the meat shipped directly to the resort?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users