Photo

Americans in Cuba? At all?

• Please log in to reply
40 replies to this topic

#31 K'osh

K'osh
  • 269 posts

Posted 19 October 2009 - 01:55 PM

So my friend's husband was born and raised in the states...moved to Canada a while ago and now owns a Canadian passport. It does state his birth place on the passport.....he should be ok...shouldn't he. I've left several msgs at the cuban consulate but have never received a phone call back.
    http://tickers.Ticke....9e4d/event.png

36 people + Bride & Groom are coming to Cuba!!!

#32 *Lo*

*Lo*
    • 2,993 posts

Posted 19 October 2009 - 01:59 PM

Should be no problem. Cuba will let Americans in, the issue is if you return back to the US with a Cuban stamp on your passport that the US might get antsy.

If he travels with his Canadian passport there are no issues.

#33 alkoch

alkoch
      • 515 posts

Posted 19 October 2009 - 02:12 PM

This is some good info, when I first came to this site I noticed how many people get married in Cuba and I hadn't even thought of it as an option (apparently for obvious reasons! lol)

I would be scared though to go and worry about not being able to get back to the US or something. Which probably wouldn't happen but I'll explore Mexico & the Caribbean more until its on the up & up to visit!

Also I think many vacations spots seem scary to some people but after you have been there you get desensitized -which could be a good & bad thing!

#34 bholthof

bholthof
        • Banned
        • 323 posts

Posted 19 October 2009 - 03:11 PM

Quote:
          Originally Posted by K'osh
          So my friend's husband was born and raised in the states...moved to Canada a while ago and now owns a Canadian passport. It does state his birth place on the passport.....he should be ok...shouldn't he. I've left several msgs at the cuban consulate but have never received a phone call back.
          Yeah, there will be no problem - Canada has no problem with Cuba. However, if you do go visit the states a few months after you get back, they might ask what you did there - but it shouldn't be a problem.
          21 people + Bride & Groom booked!!

http://tickers.Ticke....8e20/event.png

#35 K'osh

K'osh
          • 269 posts

Posted 19 October 2009 - 03:16 PM

Thanks for the info...I guess if he is planning on going to the states any time soon he can forgo the stamping of his passport in cuba
            http://tickers.Ticke....9e4d/event.png

36 people + Bride & Groom are coming to Cuba!!!

#36 Dmitri_Markine

Dmitri_Markine
            • Vendor
            • 2,782 posts

Posted 20 October 2009 - 05:42 PM

Quote:
              Originally Posted by gossip girl
              Should be no problem. Cuba will let Americans in, the issue is if you return back to the US with a Cuban stamp on your passport that the US might get antsy.

If he travels with his Canadian passport there are no issues.
              Cuba doesn't stamp passports...Unless you tell them you were in Cuba, they'll never know.

#37 *Lo*

*Lo*
              • 2,993 posts

Posted 20 October 2009 - 06:55 PM

Even better if they don't stamp. I thought it was one of those things where sometimes they do sometimes they don't. Like the US. I only randomly have my passport stamped when I enter the United States. It is like 1 in 5 times.

#38 ashey063009

ashey063009
                • 604 posts

Posted 21 October 2009 - 03:37 PM

Quote:
                  Originally Posted by Dmitri_Markine
                  So much for democracy you have there :)
                  Haha. Awesome.

#39 *Nadine*

*Nadine*
                  • 5,466 posts

Posted 21 October 2009 - 05:36 PM

Even if your passport doesnt get stamped they will still know you are coming from cuba b/c you have to have your flight number on your customs form and also have to tell them where you are coming from. I wouldnt suggest lying to the customs people!

#40 bholthof

bholthof
                    • Banned
                    • 323 posts

Posted 21 October 2009 - 09:06 PM

Quote:
                      Originally Posted by *Nadine*
                      Even if your passport doesnt get stamped they will still know you are coming from cuba b/c you have to have your flight number on your customs form and also have to tell them where you are coming from. I wouldnt suggest lying to the customs people!
                      Well, since you'd have to take a flight from either Mexico or Canada, and can't make a connector you wouldn't be lying when you say you're coming from Canada or Mexico.

Basically, in order for an American to go to Cuba, they would have to cross the border into Canada or Mexico, either by driving or by flying, then take a completely separate flight into Cuba. There is no way for customs to track that.
                      21 people + Bride & Groom booked!!

http://tickers.Ticke....8e20/event.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users