Sign in to follow this  
GatorKris

Turks & Caicos and UK takeover

We were watching the news today and I got nervous when I saw a brief story about the UK taking over the Turks & Caicos government due to corruption. Does anyone know what (if any) implications this has for visitors to the island? And, more importantly, to planning a wedding here?

OMG WHAT!? Im getting married there as well. Its technically a US virgin island?! Atleast thats what someone told me! so thats a little strange. keep me posted!

Hmm, Blacksred is right. Turks & Caicos is a BRITISH territory. The U.S. Virgin Islands are St.Johns, St.Lucia, and St.Thomas. Might want to check it out as the marriage requirements are different.

Everything is business as usual in the Turks and Caicos. The Turks and Caicos is a British Crown Colony. To simplify, we are our own country but have ties to Britain. We have a locally elected government that make decisions and runs the country with a British appointed Governor who is there to oversee things and help the government along. We qualify for loans, aid and government help as well as military help if needed and support from Britain.

Our past Governor felt that during his term there were some business dealings that were questionable by leaders and recommended that Britain have an inquiry into the allegations of corruption. The Inquiry has been going on for a year now and a number of leaders have been found guilty. It also revealed that our laws have not grown in sophistication as the islands have grown and a series of checks and balances were not there to stop corruption that has happened. The majority of charges are leaders giving government land to friends (The government can grant land to natives under an application process) and then selling it at huge (millions and millions) profits and splitting the profits. Additionally businesses were giving millions to political parties and there was no accounting for that, the political leaders were giving it to their constituants as cash gifts to buy votes (when you only have about 6000-7000 people who can vote, that can be powerful, expats and permanent residents can not vote nor obtain the right to vote even if our children are born here, so very few people have a lot of power and the Inquiry found that needed to be addressed as well). However, we have no laws against a lot of the issues as up until 15 years ago, this was a small country with 3 hotels and 18,000 people max.

The inquiry resulted in the recommendation (which has now happened) that the current government be disbanded with elections set for 2 years from now or less if possible. The British appointed governor is the head now who will oversee the running of the government and putting laws in place to prevent this from happening.

The only people who are truly upset about this are the people who were in political power or those who benefited from them. Locals and Expats alike are very happy that the British government is putting laws to protect all and bringing things forward to a more sophisticated world.

As a tourist, you wouldn't see anything different from last year and this year, same country, same governor, just had to get rid of some corrupt politicians really and put laws in place that it wouldn't happen again. Weddings and holidays are business as usual.

We are not part of the Virgin Islands...separate country altogether.

Hope that helps.

Krys

Quote:
Originally Posted by TA Maureen View Post
Oh and the US Virgin Islands are St. Thomas St. John and St. Croix, not St. Lucia.
Mo is right. St. Lucia is not a US territory in any way. They've been independent from England for 30 years and were never under US control. Do not go there expecting to not need a password or to drive on the right side of the road!