Posted 20 August 2009 - 10:09 PM

I did some googling and here is what I came up with:

Dominican Republic Marriage, Funeral, New Years and Last Names Traditions

#12 Tam

Tam
    • 551 posts

Posted 20 August 2009 - 10:32 PM

Nonnie,
      That's a good link..it was more detailed than when I googled it DR traditions. I'll have to check to see if the hotel provides a silver tray...otherwise it's back to the dollar store.

#13 nsbride2010

nsbride2010
      • 2,528 posts

Posted 21 August 2009 - 08:14 AM

Tam do you have a specific link for the more detailed description you are talking about? :)
        Enjoying marital bliss since July 1st, 2010

#14 Tam

Tam
        • 551 posts

Posted 21 August 2009 - 01:08 PM

NS, no, I was saying your info was better...
          Here is what Deyanira wrote me:

Hi Tamara!

I hope you are doing well.

Being honest, this is not a tradition that we Dominican have or do a lot. However, we can gladly perform the coins ceremony for you if desired. Please, find its history below:

History

The custom of the wedding unity coins originated in Spain. The madrina de arras holds the thirteen gold unity coins (arras) are given to the bride by the bridegroom, signifying he will support her. Often presented in ornate boxes or gift trays, this represents the bride’s dowry and holds good wishes for prosperity. These coins become a part of their family heirloom.

The most practiced ceremony is the Sand Ceremony.

Best regards,

Deyanira Aristy

Asistente de Bodas / Wedding Assistant

Tel.: (809) 682-0404, Fax: (809) 468-0183

weddings2@dreamspuntacana.com.do

Dreams Resorts & Spas: Unlimited Luxury

AMResorts.com - Providing Unlimited-Luxury® and Unlimited-Fun® at Secrets, Dreams and Sunscape Resorts & Spas

Unlimited-Luxury™. A new and better way to have it all.

Voted "Best Family Friendly Resort - World" & "Best Pool - Caribbean" by Trip Advisor Traveler's Choice 2006

#15 Tam

Tam
          • 551 posts

Posted 21 August 2009 - 01:09 PM

I sent her a reply asking about the unity sand tradition too, not sure what that is about.

#16 nsbride2010

nsbride2010
            • 2,528 posts

Posted 21 August 2009 - 03:08 PM

Yeah I was just goi8ng to ask what the sand ceremony is!! Anyone know?
              Enjoying marital bliss since July 1st, 2010

#17 rdhbride

rdhbride
              • 313 posts

Posted 21 August 2009 - 10:56 PM

the sand ceremony is where you and your hubby pour sand into a bottle/frame or whatever you choose usually 2 diff colors to show like you are joining together as one. i've read where some people have had their parents start it off and even their kids if they have from a previous relationship to kind of show the joining of two families. you can really use some awesome wording for this part , it could be a very touching part of your ceremony. i have seen also engraved frames for the sand too. hope this helps a lil:)

#18 yanettg

yanettg
                • 44 posts

Posted 22 August 2009 - 11:26 AM

I'm glad you got the answer! I was about to post and say the coins or arras is more of a Catholic tradition. The silver tray does not have to be ornate. Wedding stores and even online places sell the arras with the little treasure box or plate. They come in many sizes from dime size to half-dollar size. You shouldn't spend more than about $20-30.

#19 Tam

Tam
                  • 551 posts

Posted 24 August 2009 - 10:10 PM

Here is what the WC wrote me about the sand ceremony:

The Unity Sand Ceremony is one of the most popular elements in today's weddings. Often taking the place of the traditional unity candle ceremony. The Sand Ceremony is much better suited to outdoor and beach settings! These Sand Ceremony vases can be personalized with names, dates, monograms and even logos.

Like the unity candle, the sand is used to symbolize the uniting of the bride and groom. Their separate lives are symbolized by two vials of sand (usually different colors). After the exchange of rings, the officiant explains the meaning of the Unity Ceremony. The Bride and Groom then come together, and pour into one vial, the two individual vials of sand. Their flowing together symbolizes the joining of the couple as they share their first experience of unity as husband and wife. The newly formed union is represented by the intertwined pattern of sand created by the couple. This symbol is then a keepsake of your wedding day.

#20 ebredhawk

ebredhawk
                    • 949 posts

Posted 25 August 2009 - 01:50 PM

if you want to know a whole lot about the sand ceremony, do a search on here.. the topic is covered extensively and you should be able to find all sorts of unique ideas! it's like the modern version of the unity candle ceremony.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users