*Meagan*
  • 5,521 posts

Posted 26 October 2009 - 08:08 PM

Etiquette is bride first.

#12 echo2_62

echo2_62
    • 1,049 posts

Posted 26 October 2009 - 08:23 PM

I've read that before the wedding, brides name goes first but then after the wedding the grooms name goes first (so thank you notes, return labels etc). I think most of our friends refer to FI and I using his name first already though just out of habit.

#13 jamk32179

jamk32179
      • 341 posts

Posted 30 November 2009 - 01:25 AM

I have been looking all over the forum for this! Thanks!!
        September 18, 2010- The Royal Playa del Carmen31 Guests RSVP'd including the Bride and Groom

#14 BachataBride

BachataBride
        • Banned
        • 9,310 posts

Posted 30 November 2009 - 12:23 PM

I think on our invites & STDs it was bride then groom...but when I sign anything from us now (cards, TY cards, etc) it depends on who it's going to - if it's his family, his name goes first...if it's my family, then my name goes first. If it's mutual friends then I think I usually put mine first!

So, in short, I say do whatever looks & sounds best. That's the great thing with DW...you can through tradition & etiquette (some anyway!) out the window!! lol

#15 hat0112

hat0112
          • 1,219 posts

Posted 30 November 2009 - 02:06 PM

This is good to know! I am just starting to look at invites and I was wondering about that!

Thanks!
            Wedding 10/22/10 Westin Aruba

I love being a Mrs.!

#16 barcelo1162010

barcelo1162010
            • 154 posts

Posted 10 December 2009 - 02:50 PM

Think it's proper to do the bride first. But I also think you can do whatever you want, so if you like the way it sounds with his first; go for it.

#17 *Lo*

*Lo*
              • 2,993 posts

Posted 10 December 2009 - 02:56 PM

I read that it depends on the letters in your names. I think this was in martha stewart weddings a few issues back....

If one of the names ends in a consonant, you put that first and if one name ends in a vowel you put that second.

Ie) Bill & Sara

Or in my case it's Oliver & Lori

If both end in vowels or consonants then it's customary to put the bride first.

We did Oliver & Lori because it sounds better and looks better but it might be due to the vowel thing in terms of why it sounds better. I think when you have a vowel and the and right next to it, it's harder to say.

Sorry long explanation I just researched this a TON because I was worried people would think we were doing something crazy to put his name first.

These days, anything goes though. I wouldn't worry about it!

#18 *Heather*

*Heather*

VIP Member

• VIP Member
                • 9,532 posts

Posted 10 December 2009 - 03:04 PM

I went by the vowel/consonant thing also. My husband's name ends with an "eee" sound so I didn't think it sounded as good against the "and" as mine, which ends in an "er" (obviously). If his sounded better I would have put his first.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users