I've read that before the wedding, brides name goes first but then after the wedding the grooms name goes first (so thank you notes, return labels etc). I think most of our friends refer to FI and I using his name first already though just out of habit.

I think on our invites & STDs it was bride then groom...but when I sign anything from us now (cards, TY cards, etc) it depends on who it's going to - if it's his family, his name goes first...if it's my family, then my name goes first. If it's mutual friends then I think I usually put mine first!

So, in short, I say do whatever looks & sounds best. That's the great thing with DW...you can through tradition & etiquette (some anyway!) out the window!! lol

I read that it depends on the letters in your names. I think this was in martha stewart weddings a few issues back....

If one of the names ends in a consonant, you put that first and if one name ends in a vowel you put that second.

Ie) Bill & Sara

Or in my case it's Oliver & Lori

If both end in vowels or consonants then it's customary to put the bride first.

We did Oliver & Lori because it sounds better and looks better but it might be due to the vowel thing in terms of why it sounds better. I think when you have a vowel and the and right next to it, it's harder to say.

Sorry long explanation I just researched this a TON because I was worried people would think we were doing something crazy to put his name first.

These days, anything goes though. I wouldn't worry about it!

I went by the vowel/consonant thing also. My husband's name ends with an "eee" sound so I didn't think it sounded as good against the "and" as mine, which ends in an "er" (obviously). If his sounded better I would have put his first.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

• Best Destination Wedding Sponsors

Facebook Pinterest Google+ Twitter
    • I have stayed at Dreams La Romana and Dreams Dominicus.  The two resorts are very different in style and decor. A few comparison points are below and fact sheets are attached for both.   Both resorts are approx 45 minutes from Punta Cana airport, close proximity to Saona Island, Catalina Island and Altos de Chavon. Top championship golf courses in the Caribbean are just minutes away including Teeth of the Dog, Dye Fore, The Links and La Estancia – all designed by world-famous Pete Dye. Restaurants are similar at both resorts.  Both offer the Explorers Club for Kids.  Dreams Dominicus  Brand new resort and in 2016 488 rooms (however additional construction was underway) More contemporary style & decor Good beach area Rooms were very nice Preferred Club located in main lobby and adjacent to main pool & beach front Food was good Center plaza area with nighttime entertainment Main lobby is small, but outdoor bar off lobby is nice Dreams La Romana Originally built in 2003 & opened as Dreams La Romana in 2008 756 rooms Recently renovated and new preferred club adults only lounge & pool added  Rooms are more traditional Caribbean decor Grounds are very lush and tropical Good beach area food was good    Dreams Dominicus fact sheet.pdf Dreams La Romana fact sheet.pdf
    • My sister has done it but with the destination wedding, only super close family members and friends came since it was expensive and farther. It was great though.
    • Thanks! I had it printed out. Very useful!!
    • Hello Guys, Are you looking for affordable wedding venue, reception halls, party rentals, outdoor event venue, birthday party venue in mobile al.  Choose Anne-Marie Cottage for your special occasion. Our cottage is an affordable venue for your intimate wedding.   Thank u 
    • Flower girl dresses tend to follow the latest trends in bridal party and thanks for sharing Great website that provide  good collection & services with affordable price .
  • Topics